Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

Do you play much G? I must admit I love them even just to look at

yes - the long Canadian winter is conducive to guitar playing - its why proportionately we produce so many great musicians :)
  • Options
  • Options
    I can't look at this thread now.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I am looking at buying a new 2014 model Fender Jazzmaster Special edition blacktop ,here is a link if anyone is interested (beautiful guitar):

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/jazzmaster/special-edition-blacktop-jazzmaster-hh-stripe-rosewood-fingerboard-black-with-candy-apple-red-racing-stripe/

Can anyone provide any reviews on modern jazzmasters as this will be my first, thank you.

• Options
    I've a a custom built strat humbucker pick ups with a white scratch plate, dark oak body with rise wood frets sounds a million dollars don't know how much to ask for it , would appreciate suggestions a original fender off this design is worth a lot
  • Options
    Sorry for typo should read rose wood frets
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

I've a a custom built strat humbucker pick ups with a white scratch plate, dark oak body with rise wood frets sounds a million dollars don't know how much to ask for it , would appreciate suggestions a original fender off this design is worth a lot

American or Mexican?
  • Options
    American
  • Options
    The number of guitars I own has gone up from 8 to 11 in the last few months. I felt the need to own a Flying V, and found a cheap, but good copy. I then noticed that the same company (Vintage) sell a Les Paul style guitar which is modified to give that distinctive Peter Green sound - just had to have it. Then a mate said he was selling his immaculate 1989 Fender Strat - well, I just had to have that too.

I must stop now - there is no more room in the cupboards or on the walls!
  • Options
    Before it goes to Gumtree,
    Ibanez MDX 350, excellent condition, 10 watt Marshall amp (looks tatty but sounds great) Various other bits 'n' bobs.
    £300 ish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

The number of guitars I own has gone up from 8 to 11 in the last few months. I felt the need to own a Flying V, and found a cheap, but good copy. I then noticed that the same company (Vintage) sell a Les Paul style guitar which is modified to give that distinctive Peter Green sound - just had to have it. Then a mate said he was selling his immaculate 1989 Fender Strat - well, I just had to have that too.

If it's not too rude to ask, how much is your collection worth? Or, how much money do you have invested in them?
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

If it's not too rude to ask, how much is your collection worth? Or, how much money do you have invested in them?
    Interesting question and, since I have to get them properly insured in the very near future, one I will attempt to answer fully (get your popcorn ready):

EKO 12-string, paid £25 in the mid-70s, now worth about £240.
    Yamaha AEX 500, paid about £375 in 1998, worth about £175 now - don't know why, it's a great guitar.
    2 X Kimbara late 70s/early 80s Strat copies, both modified with better pickups. If I'd kept them stock they'd probably be worth more, but let's be optimistic and say £200 each.
    Gibson SG Special 1973 in almost mint condition bought in 1977 for £275, probably worth about £2,000 now.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 1993. Plays like a dream and is the best sounding LP I've ever seen, but only worth about £450 (which is less than I paid for it).
    Fenix bass - not sure of the value, say £150?
    Fender Strat Plus 1989, say £800?
    Fender USA Standard Strat 1989 in as-new condition. Paid £600 for it yesterday, so I guess that's what it's worth.
    Vintage Flying V, say £200.
    Vintage "distressed" Lemon Drop £350.

Why do you ask? :-)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Interesting question and, since I have to get them properly insured in the very near future, one I will attempt to answer fully (get your popcorn ready):

EKO 12-string, paid £25 in the mid-70s, now worth about £240.
    Yamaha AEX 500, paid about £375 in 1998, worth about £175 now - don't know why, it's a great guitar.
    2 X Kimbara late 70s/early 80s Strat copies, both modified with better pickups. If I'd kept them stock they'd probably be worth more, but let's be optimistic and say £200 each.
    Gibson SG Special 1973 in almost mint condition bought in 1977 for £275, probably worth about £2,000 now.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 1993. Plays like a dream and is the best sounding LP I've ever seen, but only worth about £450 (which is less than I paid for it).
    Fenix bass - not sure of the value, say £150?
    Fender Strat Plus 1989, say £800?
    Fender USA Standard Strat 1989 in as-new condition. Paid £600 for it yesterday, so I guess that's what it's worth.
    Vintage Flying V, say £200.
    Vintage "distressed" Lemon Drop £350.

Why do you ask? :-)
    What you need Saga is and immaculate Epiphone Cherry Red SG circa 2007, it just so happens Im selling mine.....what a coincidence eh?
  • Options
    Hmm... Nice try Jim, but I already have too many guitars. See you at the Vigo Blues Festival over the weekend.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why I asked to be honest. I bought a starter guitar a couple of months ago and I'm struggling to spend much time practicing but I do look at other guitars from time to time and I guess I was curious as to how much someone would spend acquiring different ones.

I'd love to be able to play but I suspect it will take me years, if I ever get there.
  • Options
    Don't try to run before you can walk.
    Keep it simple and play really slowly at first until you get it absolutely right.

Once you've put the practice in and learned to play something thoroughly,
    then you can play it at normal speed.

Playing your guitar for short periods little and often is more beneficial than a long practice occasionally.

It will gradually come together with practice. Good luck, KHA!

• Options

I'm not sure why I asked to be honest. I bought a starter guitar a couple of months ago and I'm struggling to spend much time practicing but I do look at other guitars from time to time and I guess I was curious as to how much someone would spend acquiring different ones.

I'd love to be able to play but I suspect it will take me years, if I ever get there.

If you want to just play, simple songs with good simple chords, then it will just take a matter of months to get good and comfortable.

If you set your sights high and want to learn a Metallica solo to perfection,then yes, a number of years, but it depends how much time you put in.
  • Options
    Anyone want a 70s ac30, sold as seen £250? Needs some work on it, and I can point you to a good tech to sort it. ;-)
  • Options
    So who is still playing? Anyone just started?

Currently working on Dear Prudence by The Beatles - have set myself the task of learning one Beatles song a week for the next year.
  • Options
    Played from 1966 til 1992.

Learn E, A & D, then play along with the first Ramones album.
    Sorted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Play acoustic now and then - go through phases of being really into it and then not picking it up for months. Never had lessons so kind of taught myself which has its pros and cons.
    Any good recommended sites for tabs? Ultimate guitar is a mixed bag when it comes to quality I find. Goliath guitar is a good website - some tutorials and tabs are just finger style but others are the regular versions.
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

Play acoustic now and then - go through phases of being really into it and then not picking it up for months. Never had lessons so kind of taught myself which has its pros and cons.
    Any good recommended sites for tabs? Ultimate guitar is a mixed bag when it comes to quality I find. Goliath guitar is a good website - some tutorials and tabs are just finger style but others are the regular versions.

I think UG is probably the most comprehensive. I found learning theory really helped - although easy to get muddled up - still not sure I really understand modes. For something quick & easy - load a song from itunes into an app called Riffstation. Pretty accurate in its interpretation of chords & gets you the basic key/structure of the song & you can go from there either with rhythm or working out the lead parts.
  • Options
    You can find a lot of instructional videos on YouTube - some better than others...
  • Options
    Dropped my Squire Telecaster on the floor today and knocked a big chunk out of it. And my son wonders why I've no appetite to have a go on his Gibson Les Paul.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Dropped my Squire Telecaster on the floor today and knocked a big chunk out of it. And my son wonders why I've no appetite to have a go on his Gibson Les Paul.

Artificially "reliced" guitars command a premium price - you've just done it yourself at no cost!
  • Options
    Just started learning and using that justinguitar website which seems great.

• Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    Yep still playing with my band and writing and recording, played the Alleycat Club in Denmark st. Soho end of last month. It's been a busy bloody year.
    Played non stop all year so taken the whole of December off, not picking the guitar up at all, I do that from time to time, I find I come back fresh and ready to attack. In the recording studio end of Jan 2017.
    Congratulations to those posters that have gone on to be able to 'play', it's one of the most rewarding things you will ever do, keep going because you never stop learning.
    It will be interesting to revisit this thread in a years time to see how everyone is doing.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Been playing acoustic and electric on and off for nigh on 40 years now. I must seriously get round to doing it properly now I've retired.

Plenty of good stuff on Youtube, (Marty Schwarz/Jkehew1) and I subscribe to Guitar Tab too.

Learn some easy riffs to start with, and go from there.