Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• edited March 2013
    If you are looking for a cheap bass check out the squire vintage modified series. I have played a few and they are simply out standing for the money.

So much so I'm considering the jaguar (also available short scale)model which I have played and was simply astounded by.

I have always been too snobby to consider squires before but I cannot emphasize enough how blown away I was by such a cheap bass.

can't bring myself to play short scale though.
  • I go with what Vinnie says...there are Squires and there are Squires...a lot of bang for your bucks.
  • OK, have been inspired and am going to pick up a guitar again after a break of about 20 years..(my wife leaving to work abroad for 3 months or so has also provided me with some spare time, as I will be housebound as a single parent - I figured a guitar and learnign something has got to be better than hiring a childminder and going out drinking, right?) So, my question to anyone (Leroy, you seem to know what you're talking about) is what should I buy? I want to buy a semi acoustic, preferably with a built in tuner (I never could tune, let alone now that my hearing's starting to go) and I'll spend up to around £200 I guess (does that sound right?)... Any brand names/specific guitars to recommend?

Cheers
  • OK, have been inspired and am going to pick up a guitar again after a break of about 20 years..(my wife leaving to work abroad for 3 months or so has also provided me with some spare time, as I will be housebound as a single parent - I figured a guitar and learnign something has got to be better than hiring a childminder and going out drinking, right?) So, my question to anyone (Leroy, you seem to know what you're talking about) is what should I buy? I want to buy a semi acoustic, preferably with a built in tuner (I never could tune, let alone now that my hearing's starting to go) and I'll spend up to around £200 I guess (does that sound right?)... Any brand names/specific guitars to recommend?

Cheers

Im looking to pick up a guitar too, (would be my first) Yamaha Pacifica 112 seems to be highly reccommended and is around that price mark.
  • edited April 2013

OK, have been inspired and am going to pick up a guitar again after a break of about 20 years..(my wife leaving to work abroad for 3 months or so has also provided me with some spare time, as I will be housebound as a single parent - I figured a guitar and learnign something has got to be better than hiring a childminder and going out drinking, right?) So, my question to anyone (Leroy, you seem to know what you're talking about) is what should I buy? I want to buy a semi acoustic, preferably with a built in tuner (I never could tune, let alone now that my hearing's starting to go) and I'll spend up to around £200 I guess (does that sound right?)... Any brand names/specific guitars to recommend?

Cheers

Not sure about the guitar mate, i have a Taylor electroacoustic which is lovely but the model I have was quite expensive - made over here so probably costs a bit more in the UK but they do have them in a whole range of prices. Definitely worth checking out though - great guitars.

Justinguitar and guitarjamz.com are the best internet learning resources - been using them since day one and i have learned everything from them.

Good luck!!!

• Cheers Oakster and siblers...according to google there is a guitar shop on Charlton Church Lane, so I'm going to pop in there at the weekend to get some guidance... Like the idea of the online tutorial..may invest in some lessons too right at the start, to kick me off properly...
  • I've recently bought a 2nd hand Ibanez from GuitarGuitar. Good price and good service.
    siblers.
    I've got a pacifica for sale if you're interested.
  • Yamaha is a good shout - the pacifica is a great buy for the money, but it's a solid body guitar. They do semi-acoustics and acoustics though, if that's what you're after.

It's a lot easier to learn these days - there's loads of stuff online (you tube is a good starting point) - in my day I was playing records again and again trying to work out how stuff was played. Then later I was doing the same with compact cassettes!
  • CC have a look at Songsterr.com
  • Saga Lout said:

Yamaha is a good shout - the pacifica is a great buy for the money, but it's a solid body guitar. They do semi-acoustics and acoustics though, if that's what you're after.

It's a lot easier to learn these days - there's loads of stuff online (you tube is a good starting point) - in my day I was playing records again and again trying to work out how stuff was played. Then later I was doing the same with compact cassettes!

I'm over in Ireland so would be too much hassle really but thanks. Is it a 112 out of curiosity?
  • Sponsored links:

• siblers said:

Saga Lout said:

Yamaha is a good shout - the pacifica is a great buy for the money, but it's a solid body guitar. They do semi-acoustics and acoustics though, if that's what you're after.

I'm over in Ireland so would be too much hassle really but thanks. Is it a 112 out of curiosity?
    I'm not selling a guitar, just saying that Yamaha makes some good reasonably priced guitars.
  • siblers said:

Saga Lout said:

yes.
  • BB - thanks for the tip on GuitarGuitar - if I can't buy local, I will be buying a Fender CD-100CE from there I think. Cheers
  • If you are looking for an electroacoustic I have got a Freshman which is a beautiful guitar for the money(£400) but if you can spring for a Taylor well they are probably the best. I use GuitarGuitar and Guitar Village in Farnham well worth a visit as well.
  • Guitar bought this morning - a Tanglewood electro acoustic from a shop in Downham....now I just need to learn how to play the thing :-)
  • thinking of learning... as I'm cack handed, there isn't a great deal of choice. Are the starter sets by the likes of Lindo and Encore and Stagg (guitar only, but cheap) a false economy, or are they fine for what they are at just over £100? I don't want to run before I can walk, but I also don't want to be put off by something entirely useless
  • McBobbin said:

thinking of learning... as I'm cack handed, there isn't a great deal of choice. Are the starter sets by the likes of Lindo and Encore and Stagg (guitar only, but cheap) a false economy, or are they fine for what they are at just over £100? I don't want to run before I can walk, but I also don't want to be put off by something entirely useless

you can get a half decent acoustic guitar for about £50 second hand.
    If you can get to Greenwich market on a thursday `Wolves Tony' always has some.
    You can take the piss out of him to.
  • McBobbin said:

thinking of learning... as I'm cack handed, there isn't a great deal of choice. Are the starter sets by the likes of Lindo and Encore and Stagg (guitar only, but cheap) a false economy, or are they fine for what they are at just over £100? I don't want to run before I can walk, but I also don't want to be put off by something entirely useless

you can get a half decent acoustic guitar for about £50 second hand.
    If you can get to Greenwich market on a thursday `Wolves Tony' always has some.
    You can take the piss out of him to.
    Probably makes more sense cheers! Live in Chelmsford but I reckon there's an equivalent I can source.
  • I bought a couple of really cheap guitars and a crappy amp - got to grips with the basics on these and when I decided I loved it, spent a small fortune on an electric and an acoustic. So yes does sound like a sensible strategy Mr McB....
  • One good tip for aspiring players is to get along to a guitar jam night, a lot of pubs hold nights like these, go along and chat to a few of the players, they will always give you tips, some may teach as well. Also you get to watch what and how people play, their styles etc.
    I was at my local pubs blues jam night last night, The Vigo Inn, some really good players and everyone was welcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really try to learn music theory as you go iris the most valuable tool at your disposal.

admittedly it can be daunting at first but once you have it youll find you understand why you are playing what you are.

Oh and the pain will pass.

• Greenie said:

One good tip for aspiring players is to get along to a guitar jam night, a lot of pubs hold nights like these, go along and chat to a few of the players, they will always give you tips, some may teach as well. Also you get to watch what and how people play, their styles etc.
    I was at my local pubs blues jam night last night, The Vigo Inn, some really good players and everyone was welcome.

I heard that you turned up - I arrived very late, but still got to do a few songs. Did you leave your amp there?
  • Videos of Greenie (and me) at the blues jam can be found on youtube.

youtube.com/vigobluesjam
  • had a few lessons to get back into guitar again, am I being silly to want to get high quality custom pickups for my strat, and better machine heads for my epi Les?
  • razil said:

had a few lessons to get back into guitar again, am I being silly to want to get high quality custom pickups for my strat, and better machine heads for my epi Les?

What amps do you have? Pickups will only have a minor difference/improvement. Wiring harness?
    Yes to the machine heads if it's going out of tune to easily.
  • Just picked up a Gretsch Country Gent to play over the weekend from my local dealer - what a beautiful guitar, sounds great with my Twin Reverb ;-)
  • Oakster said:

Just picked up a Gretsch Country Gent to play over the weekend from my local dealer - what a beautiful guitar, sounds great with my Twin Reverb ;-)

Sounds lovely. I want a Gretsch.

• edited September 2013
    erm a vox trany emulator i forget the model, and marshal trany, and a wem valve amp in the loft

fender is a korean, red with rosewood neck

fancy an ac30 vox how much do they cost?
  • Oakster said:

Just picked up a Gretsch Country Gent to play over the weekend from my local dealer - what a beautiful guitar, sounds great with my Twin Reverb ;-)

Sounds lovely. I want a Gretsch.

Well lets just say it is twangy!! Default action a little high for my liking, but i could happily accommodate this guitar in my growing collection
  • Do you play much G? I must admit I love them even just to look at