Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton songs/chants

edited December 2011 in General Charlton

Now that I've calmed down after Yeovil can anyone help me out with a request for help regarding some Charlton songs. First (maybe for older fans) does anyone know the history of the 'Goodbye Horse' song. I know it's based on 'Bless 'em All' but any idea when this chant started at Charlton and why? This is for my 'Charlton Miscellany' book which is the follow up to Charlton Athletic On This Day.

Secondly, there are two John Robinson songs which I'm trying to recall the words of. One was based on 'Knees Up Mother Brown' and one was based on Simon and Garfunkel's 'Mrs Robinson' - can anyone help with the exact words. Thanks - credit given when the book comes out! The first was something like 'Who's That Scoring Goals?' etc etc and the second was 'and here's to you Johnny Robinson' etc.

Comments

• Options
    Cheers Stig - really interesting. So it sounds like it might be a Northampton Town song and maybe gained popularity with Charlton after the Brighton incident in '73. I definitely recall it being sung in the early and mid 1980s but no one then seemed to know where it came from. Same with Yippee-ai-ay, Yippee-ai-oh!
  • Options
    The ' whose that scoring goals ' song was originally for the late 70's /early 80's ex Spurs striker Martin Robinson and was adapted for Johnny Robinson.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yippe I oh was I'm told first sung when we lost midweek to Forest in  86 , I was at the game but did not recall it.

It gained popularity the following Saturday at Old Trafford when we won 1-0 , I remember us singing it every time the Addicks repelled another United attack after Mark Stuart's goal.

• Options
    Cheers Richard - interesting that the 'knees up' song was originally about Martin Robinson - I don't remember that but I only went occasionally around that time. Remember both those games at Forest and Man U but don't recall the chant. I think I assumed it had been established before that but maybe not.
  • Options

I definately remember it at Old Trafford , we even added Ghost Riders in the Sky probably in recognition of Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson at the end on a couple of occasions although that got dropped later .

I could be wrong but I do not recall it being sang earlier . I'm sure there would have been a thread on this somewhere.

• Options

Yippe I oh was I'm told first sung when we lost midweek to Forest in  86 , I was at the game but did not recall it.

It gained popularity the following Saturday at Old Trafford when we won 1-0 , I remember us singing it every time the Addicks repelled another United attack after Mark Stuart's goal.

I was at both of those games - I remember vividly at Forest one bloke continually singing loudly on his own the original long version to cheer us up as we got spanked 4-0, then it got shortened at Old Trafford to simply Yippee I Ai, Yippee I Oh - great days!
  • Options
    We used to sing the simple "Charlton, Charlton, Charlton" etc a la Chelsea - I miss that, used to be really loud

The funny one I miss is - "Here we go, Here we go, Here we go" etc - what was that all about!!
  • Options

I remember being in a car going somewhere I can't now recall listening to the commentary from Old Trafford and wondering what that 'new song' was. Took me a few more games to realise that it wasn't anything I was expected to understand from afar.

It is a good shout but hardly a chant - may need a couple more lines ! I have however randomly made pubs go quiet by screaming it out at random times ever since though (and cabs MOG)

I really dislike ManUre but their song making at Fulham the other week was a different class in my experience.

• Options
    Oh, score a goal Johnny Robinson, we all love you more than you could know, oh oh oh.

It's up you to Johnny Robinson, to put the ball in the back of the net, you haven't yet...

Unless this was also used for Martin in the 70s, I'm pretty sure I made this up and sang it first at Barnsley away, the game before we returned to The Valley? The second verse wasn't really sung though which is not surprising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This has been done to death on other threads but we were much more imaginative in our chants in those days , but most were 'cover versions' of other teams songs.Yippe I Eh was a Charlton original , I've never heard any other team sing it .

Another favourite from that era was the Celtic / Everton 'Grand Old Team To Play For' and of course 'Valley Floyd Road ' which was a Forest song originally.

• Options

No East Terrace it was the other Knees up mother Brown version which was Martin's

'Whose that scoring goals , whose that scoring goals ,Martin ,Martin Robinson , Martin ,Martin Robinson'

I briefly remember someone singing the Robin Hood , Ryan Giggs Man U song about the younger Robbo as well.

• Options
    Went down pub, drank ten pints, absolutely plastered....Northern Bstd etc

That's our original isn't it ?

• Options
    as a side note 'oh score a goal Johnny Robinson' was inspired by The Lemonheads cover of Mrs Robinson released late '92.

As has been said, why can't the kids be creative these days?
  • Options
    I used to like 'We are Charlton from the Valley' from a song by a female vocalist. Pretty unique, someone will know who sang it. Also remember at the Old Den our fans singing the Batman theme tune replacing the word Batman with Gordon (Watson).Very rare one that.   
  • Options
    I was at the Forest game and definitely remember "Yippee-ai-ay, Yippee-ai-oh!"

• Options
    Went down pub, drank ten pints, absolutely plastered....Northern Bstd etc That's our original isn't it ?
    Yep Bod's song he made it up
  • Options
    Went down pub, drank ten pints, absolutely plastered....Northern Bstd etc That's our original isn't it ?

Pleased to hear that as I have claimed it as home grown for some time
  • Options
    'We are Charlton from The Valley' was taken from Suzanne Vega & DNA's 'Tom's Diner'. Vividly remember it at Bristol Rovers at Twerton.
  • Options
    Good shout East Terrace - not sure of the chronology here but I distinctly remember that getting an early airing at Brentford on a Friday night friendly around that time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got that book for Christmas
  • Options
    'We are Charlton from The Valley' was taken from Suzanne Vega & DNA's 'Tom's Diner'. Vividly remember it at Bristol Rovers at Twerton.

This was sung prominently during our nomad days and remember singing along to this constantly whilst standing in the H*******le end at P****e.
  • Options

Yippe I Eh was a Charlton original , I've never heard any other team sing it .

Villa sing a version of yippe-i-eh with a brummie twang and obviously a few more words than our limited version , deffo heard them sing it last year not sure about this season and more likely to be heard at away games
    And their version was around when ours started circling not sure who was first but we've never been the most original set of singers!
  • Options
    I think Villa came up with Yippe aye oh first but a definate favourite of mine for reasons mentioned on another thread, it saved me a shoeing..... We used to add it to our own version of ole,ole ole,ole I remember a cup game at West Ham in particular for this where Liam Brady scored.
    We are Charlton at theValley was pretty much our own incarnation and it was sung on a loop on one of our last visits to the Goldstone grouund early 90's, Goodbye Horse may well have started elsewhere but is surely as part of a comfortable win medley as any other song we sing....on a fading festive note Ding Dong Kenny Achomgpong was a brief attempt at writing our own!

• Options

Yippe I Eh was a Charlton original , I've never heard any other team sing it .

Villa sing a version of yippe-i-eh with a brummie twang and obviously a few more words than our limited version , deffo heard them sing it last year not sure about this season and more likely to be heard at away games
    And their version was around when ours started circling not sure who was first but we've never been the most original set of singers!
    I believe they chant "yippee - i ai, yippee i oh, holte enders in the sky"
  • Options
    edited December 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011

Pleased to hear that as I have claimed it as home grown for some time
    This was written by some local lads but they were Hale & Pace (See  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqvXRd64Mo)   .  
  • Options
    Looks like I was wrong about Yippee I Eh being an original CAFC song ,never heard the Villa version before .
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Nothing better than hearing Yipee I Ai in echoing around in a tunnel or something.

Last heard properly at Sheff Utd after the game with our lot walking through the Subways. Home fans looked quite shocked at aload of cafc singing all the wway back to the staion.

• Options

This thread has cheered me up a bit ,like others I think the modern 'playlist' is woeful and even though most of our songs were nicked we used to have a song for most players when I travelled regularly .

A few weeks ago I saw Barnet play at Cheltenham in the JPT whilst working away from home and although there were only 72 fans in the away end they really got behind their team and invented some clever songs like we used to.

Could we revive 'Charlton from the Valley' on New Year's Eve at Orient  ? Even an old git like me would join in .