Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whale Wars / Key Stone Cops

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Has anyone been watching Whale Wars on Discovery?
You have to agree with the cause but have you ever seen a less organised bunch of people in your life?
The Captain is a grade A ball sack too.

Comments

• Nothing worse than starting a new thread and no-one comments, so............................

No, I haven't seen it. ;-)
  • Not watched it, but what is wrong with hunting whales anyway?

No difference between that and catching cod in my opinion - people only get angry due to their size.

• `save the haddock' just doesn't  have the same ring about it.
  • `save the haddock' just doesn't  have the same ring about it.

Save 'The Addicks' does though!
  • Not watched it, but what is wrong with hunting whales anyway?

No difference between that and catching cod in my opinion - people only get angry due to their size.

Nothing to do with the numbers of them left then?
  • Catching cod is also not a great thing at the moment as over fishing has led to a big problem with their numbers.

• Whales are mammals by the way, not fish.....and wonderful creatures  too, they deserve protecting in every way possible.

Agree that many the crew of the Steve Irwin are something of a joke...........but at least they 'are' trying. 

• No one says save the tuna, just save the dolphin caught in tuna catching nets.

It's because they are cute - that is it.

There are plenty of whales out there.

• No one says save the tuna, just save the dolphin caught in tuna catching nets.

It's because they are cute - that is it.

There are plenty of whales out there.

Three statements, two of them are nonsense.

Yellowfin tuna in particular are under threat. No one says save the tuna? Really??

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/oceans/endangered-tuna-message-finally-sinking-20090609

some species of whale are fine, and many are recovering. you might like to read this summary.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456973/html/nn1page1.stm

• Come on FM, it is a big ocean out there yet the Japanese manage to find hundreds of the blighters....
  • Sponsored links:

• Cunning little devils.

They even had them for school lunches until the early 90's.

not one per student, obviously.

• Come on FM, it is a big ocean out there yet the Japanese manage to find hundreds of the blighters....

They only find them in any reasonable numbers in the southern arctic oceans where they congregate at a particular time of the year......generally they are endangered species.

Thats because there are some many Japanese spare to go looking for them...
  • Even the Faroes have a family outing at an annual whaling festival. One mans whale is another mans chicken.
  • mmmmmm KFW

Breast for me

• Think it's a great show.  Although the Sea Shepard folk may appear a little whacky to some, the organisation & dedication that goes into waging a campaign in the frozen seas off the Antartic is unbelievable.  Don't under estimate skipper Paul Watson who has dedicated his life to such campaigns. As one of the founding father of Greenpeace, he was eventually thrown out for being to"direct"!  He's pretty full on, such a charactor makes great TV!  He's very good at "using" the media also.

They have visited Bermuda a few times over the years , my wife (a teacher) has taken her classes and our kids along to met Paul & the crew.  They are great people.  Folk can comment about them but ultimately it's a very worthy cause and we should be thankful that somebody cares enough to fight for it. 

• I just don't think it portrays them in a very good light. I'm not doubting the cause or how worthy they are as individuals, but they just look clueless on the show.

All of the crew seem to be fairly intellectual types but they appear to have zero common sense or organisational skills.
  • I just don't think it portrays them in a very good light. I'm not doubting the cause or how worthy they are as individuals, but they just look clueless on the show. All of the crew seem to be fairly intellectual types but they appear to have zero common sense or organisational skills.

It's perfect reality TV, a bunch of hippy eco-warriors on a tiny ship battling the elements in the Antartic & planning all sorts of stunts to stop the evil Japanese whaling fleet!

I guess it's not conventional organisational skills that come across on the show!  More crisis management, as it makes for good TV.  I think they must have very good organizational skills to pull off the stuff they do in that location and react decisively when it goes wrong, which of course, given nature of operation, it will.  The skipper doesn't suffer fools and has pretty high standards.  You just couldn't do what they do without being very good at your job.   

• I love it. Granted, they are indeed a bit like the key stone cops at times, but I'd love to do my bit with them. The passion that they have for doing the right thing would carry anyone alone with them.