Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton Photos (Help)

edited November 2011 in General Charlton

I bought a mixed bag of old Charlton stuff from Henry, which included the following untitled pictures.  I wondered if with the combined expertise of Charlton Life it would be possible to say who's in them and what's happening.

Cheers

Stig

A)

B)

C)

D)

E)

Comments

• edited November 2011

A Eddie Firmani heading for goal c1964 or 5

E Looks like Ron Saunders from around the same time

• B....John Sewell on left facing forward....Marvin Hinton on right facing forward behind the two other players..not sure who our keeper is.

E Ron Saunders

A Could be any one of two or three heading the ball.................annoying that I can't quite make out who it is.

• edited November 2011
    A) Eddie Firmani heading the ball early sixties Red Epaulettes kit could be Mike Bailey or Lenny Glover (the original) behind him.
    B) John Sewell, Marvin Hinton and I think John Hewie are Charlton players in full view except No 8 who is an opponent
    C) Before my time pre 1960
    D) No Idea; is it a Charlton player?
    E) Ron Saunders
  • edited November 2011

B....John Sewell on left facing forward....Marvin Hinton on right facing forward behind the two other players..not sure who our keeper is.

E Ron Saunders

A Could be any one of two or three heading the ball.................annoying that I can't quite make out who it is.

B....John Sewell on left facing forward....Marvin Hinton on right facing forward behind the two other players..not sure who our keeper is.

E Ron Saunders

Is the keeper Wakeham?

Sorry about the double quote my computer is playing up!

• edited November 2011
    I think its John Hewie Len could be Peter Wakeham though.
  • Dennis Edwards in the background of Picture B to the right of Sewell's left arm??
  • D is a guess at a rear view of Paul Went but really not sure
  • edited November 2011
    In A I think Len Glover is the  nearest Charlton player to Firmani but my eyesight isn't great so could be wrong...
  • I am having trouble remembering exactly what Wakeham looked like. It's Willie Duff - the only other keeper of that era I can think of is Frank Reed, but I don't think it's him - even though I had the pleasure of being in the opposite goal to him once as a ringer in a Veterans match.
  • edited November 2011
    thai malaysia addick said:
    I am having trouble remembering exactly what Wakeham looked like. It's Willie Duff - the only other keeper of that era I can think of is Frank Reed, but I don't think it's him - even though I had the pleasure of being in the opposite goal to him once as a ringer in a Veterans match.
    Definitely too slim for Willie Duff or Frank Reed who was secretary at our sports club. I still reckon it's Hewie in one of his rare games in between the posts. You weren't in that duck costume on Monday night with the Uddersfield fans where you?
  • Sponsored links:

• D may not be a Charlton player - looks like he's not wearing white kit (look at the guy behind, those shorts are white).  So it might be the old Wolves centre half Ron Flowers - mid 60s they played in an all-gold strip
  • I am having trouble remembering exactly what Wakeham looked like. It's Willie Duff - the only other keeper of that era I can think of is Frank Reed, but I don't think it's him - even though I had the pleasure of being in the opposite goal to him once as a ringer in a Veterans match.
    Frank Reed was a big bloke and that 'keeper doesn't look particularly big to me. Wakeham was quite small for a keeper (as was Duff) but I don't think it's John Hewie even though he did play a few games in goal.
  • C is before my time but it looks a bit like Derek Ufton to me
  • A - Eddie Firmani sprang to mind straight away and I do believe it's Lenny Glover in the far background.

B - looks like John Hewie to me but in goal? I know he played a few there though.

C - not sure about that one.

D - no idea

E - Ron Saunders

• In A I think Len Glover is the  nearest Charlton player to Firmani but my eyesight isn't great so could be wrong...
    or perhaps Matthews, with Stocks in the background. Firmani scoring the first goal in a 3-0 win over Coventry if that is Bill Glazier in goal.
  • A. Len Glover nearest the crowd and next, I'm pretty sure, is Roy Matthews.
    B. John Hewie in goal, 61/2 season I think.
  • D may not be a Charlton player - looks like he's not wearing white kit (look at the guy behind, those shorts are white).  So it might be the old Wolves centre half Ron Flowers - mid 60s they played in an all-gold strip

D does look like the Wolves kit
  • If anyone else has old photos of thee valley like above and want to part with them gis a shout
  • edited November 2011
    Some are saying that John Hewie is in one of the pictures (goal keeper)............well he's not guys...........he never had a haircut like that and he had slightly pointed out ears...plus Hewie was very tall and gangling with thin legs.................no idea who it is though.
  • C. Maybe O'Linn going up for the header circa 53/54 opponents could be Sunderland on the opening day. I have a newspaper cutting of Firmani's opening goal from that game and both kits look identical. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig is probably getting confused so let's set out what we all agree. Shout if I'm wrong!

A Firmani heading the ball

B Sewell on left as you look Hinton in front of the keeper

E Ron Saunders

• edited November 2011

Stig is probably getting confused so let's set out what we all agree. Shout if I'm wrong!

Ha ha, there's a man who knows how easily confused I get.

Thanks very much for all your help, I'm very impressed.  I might have got Eddie Firmani without any help and now that you've said Ron Saunders, I can see it is.  Though to a mere slip of a lad like me, I can only remember how he looked as Villa manager ;-)  I wouldn't have had a clue with any of the others.
  • edited November 2011
    Think that keeper is Peter Wakeman 62/63.
  • A. Len Glover nearest the crowd and next, I'm pretty sure, is Roy Matthews.
    B. John Hewie in goal, 61/2 season I think.

Mathews & Glover are correct.

Like everyone else confused about the goalie in B  looks a bit like Hewie
    but Wakeham was also slim, think I would plump for Hewie.

Players in other pictures as stated by others.

CH doesn't look like Paul Went to me, not sure who but I would guess opposition player.
  • edited November 2011
    C   Could be a young Eddie Firmani or Bobby Ayres possibly
  • D. Is that Hitler on the right doing the salute? 
  • I think picture C is Johnny Evans who we sold to Liverpool.
    The player in the middle looks like Charlie Vaughan.

I know it's the East Terrace, just thought some of you might like it!
    I know it's the East Terrace, just thought some of you might like it!
    Some of us might be in it!
  • In picture B the player on the left looks like John Sewell.