Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell - Tactically inept?

Powell has more money than most managers in League 1 to spend, but a good team on paper doesn't guarantee good results. Time and again, we see this season that the tactics are right to get the most from the game. Last night, we stopped a very good footballing side play the way they wanted. The last 15-20 minutes we forced them into long hopeful balls and stopped them playing their passing game which looked as though it could dominate in the first 15 minutes.

Whether it can be pretty football or a case of slugging it out, Powell seems to be get the tactics right time after time. The problem wasn't that Powell was tactically inept last season, he had a squad that, in general, didn't care tuppence.

Comments

• Last season Powell tried to play good football with a squad put together to try and grind out results.

The biggest difference for me is not how much they care, or how much "passion and commitment" they show. They are simply better players.

The effort is there yes but last season we had less quality, made more mistakes, couldn't keep the ball too well, gave away fouls, created less chances etc. When you lose games you lose confidence and that leads to more mistakes.

If you look through last seasons squad there are not many players there that could be accussed of not trying.
  • . The problem wasn't that Powell was tactically inept last season,
    I never though he was tactically inept but he did make mistakes last season.  Then again so does every manager.

Big difference is that he seems to have learnt from them ie not playing players out of position.

And so far, other than dropping Solly at Stevenage which he corrected PDQ, he's not made many mistakes.

He is still a very young and inexperienced manager but he is proving to be a very good manager and one that learns fast.  

• The biggest difference for me is not how much they care, or how much "passion and commitment" they show. They are simply better players.

The effort is there yes but last season we had less quality, made more mistakes, couldn't keep the ball too well, gave away fouls, created less chances etc. When you lose games you lose confidence and that leads to more mistakes.

If you look through last seasons squad there are not many players there that could be accussed of not trying.
    Agree 100%
  • edited November 2011
    Agree with Scoham. The run of form Charlton enjoyed last autumn showed that the squad back then were more than capable of getting results and finding their way into the automatic spots, but in a much different, more scraping way, mostly because of the limitations of the budget and Parkinson being an underdog-type manager. The takeover happened, and though the change of managers could have been handled better, in came someone with a bigger budget, a better rapport with the fanbase and higher expectations. But that sort of change will always carry a transitional period.
  • Did think that Powell could've brought Wagstaff on a little earlier than he did to give Solly some extra protection, as Ward started to get the better of Solly in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Credit to Solly though, his determination and skill won the battle against arguably the trickiest, sharpest winger I've seen play at League One level over our three seasons here.
  • Solly was superb last night, and to see our boys flying into tackles at 90 mins when 2-0 was massively encouraging and the kind of commitment that has been sorely lacking for years.
  • Did think that Powell could've brought Wagstaff on a little earlier than he did to give Solly some extra protection, as Ward started to get the better of Solly in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Credit to Solly though, his determination and skill won the battle against arguably the trickiest, sharpest winger I've seen play at League One level over our three seasons here.
    Well, Solly certainly done well enough for terriers fans to be singing his praises.
  • I do wonder if CP spent some time over the summer having a chat with the likes of Curbs and S.G.E, two old hands with a bit of nous who no doubt would be glad to give a few tips. No disrespect to Chrissy of course, now the season has started the calls have been down to him and 99% of the time have been spot on, but the difference to me between his style this season and last is at least partly naivety, or lack thereof. Last season he was trying to fit square pegs in round holes, trying to play a style that frankly we didn't have the players to suit. A few quid and several months later and we are taking even top teams to pieces and defending like trojans with well chosen players selected specifically for the purpose.
  • Bringing Waggy on later when there lot are running out of energy is what he must be going for, and he gets it right.

• One thing I noticed was the fight your team had. They won most 50/50's, they threw themselves into blocks & tackles & run all night.

Of course, it's much easier to do that when you're top & clear by a few points, but it's a big difference from previous games I've seen, particularly the play-off games last season.

• Sponsored links:

• I said last season - it seemed CP was proving a point that he wanted to play a certain way but the players were not capable of it.

This year he has his players, his squad and his ideas.  Look at the results

If ever a club were the template for letting a manager have a little bit of time to make his mark on a club it's this occasion.........hang on, didn't we do that once before? :-)
  • Wow! Praise from Sparrow. Cheers mate!
  • One thing I noticed was the fight your team had. They won most 50/50's, they threw themselves into blocks & tackles & run all night.

Of course, it's much easier to do that when you're top & clear by a few points, but it's a big difference from previous games I've seen, particularly the play-off games last season.

And I don't mean to be bitchy, because I appreciate your comment, but you won't see Thierry Racon throwing himself into anything. We've brought in a different type of player. But on top of that, SCP is insisting that tackles have to be precise and clean. Just as he used to do himself as a player. And no mouthing off. Result, hardly any cards. Which will be priceless second half of season, when half the Wednesday squad will be suspended at one time or another.

Play offs - we wish
  • My only tactical concerns about SCP are:

a) Attempting to sit back and soak up pressure - don't even think about it! Attack is far and away our best form of defense.

b) Subs - They generally need to come on a little earlier to give them more of a chance to make an impact in the game, either through a change of tactics or simply some fresh legs.

Other than that though, I don't think you can criticise a man who has guided us into such an amazing position in the league.
  •  
    My only tactical concerns about SCP are:

a) Attempting to sit back and soak up pressure - don't even think about it! Attack is far and away our best form of defense.

b) Subs - They generally need to come on a little earlier to give them more of a chance to make an impact in the game, either through a change of tactics or simply some fresh legs.

Other than that though, I don't think you can criticise a man who has guided us into such an amazing position in the league.
    2-0 up fairy comfortable. Bring your subs on late to waste a bit of time.
  • I think it is only OK to sit back if you are good enough to do it. This team is very tight defensively and with the threat of Green, BWP etc. breaking quickly, we do not need to be on the offensive the whole time.
  • Only slight criticism was i thought he should have got waggy on sooner - we had retreated and were playing on the break but the forwards and wide men were flagging with 20 to go and could have done with a boost and some pace - i'm sure we'd have scored again.
  • Think it's worth remembering that CP has brought in "the right sort" of players. He has researched their backgrounds and temperaments in order to achieve what we are seeing on the pitch. Curbs did much the same and we have a team once again that we can be proud of.
  • I think Henry has got it right, CP learned from the change against Stevenage, but I would question bringing in Russell so quickly last night, is he really match fit ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Only slight criticism was i thought he should have got waggy on sooner - we had retreated and were playing on the break but the forwards and wide men were flagging with 20 to go and could have done with a boost and some pace - i'm sure we'd have scored again.

I said the same at the time but in hindsight Powelly got it right so I was proved wrong. We've also got to give credit to Hudds for pushing us right up to the 90 minute so it might not have been simply a case of ours tiring ergo get them off but them pushing us back.

Then again, I also remember another recent Charlton managerial legend who used to drive me crackers with his policy on substitutions some times. It's fair enough when things are going well, like last night, but Curb's often used to leave it far to late sometimes to try to change a game if we were behind IMO.

• My god, we're 7 points clear and have won our last 7 in a row.    SCP knows more about football and tactics than any of us.   Let's see what he does when we hit a blip (as we are bound to), but every other club in this league is looking on enviously right now!
  • RobRob
    edited December 2011
    . The problem wasn't that Powell was tactically inept last season,
    I never though he was tactically inept but he did make mistakes last season.  Then again so does every manager.

Big difference is that he seems to have learnt from them ie not playing players out of position.

And so far, other than dropping Solly at Stevenage which he corrected PDQ, he's not made many mistakes.

He is still a very young and inexperienced manager but he is proving to be a very good manager and one that learns fast.  

Against Stevenage he made a couple of tactical switches that, IMO, cost us the game. Dropping Solly and moving Morrison to right back so he could have Cort at CB to cover that big lump of a forward they had. It just didn't work at all. Agreed, he did learn PDQ.
  • Powell is learning on the job and doing very well. I really can't see him asking advice of anyone outside of the club (curbs). Powell has brought in the staff he trusts and has a lifetime experience of observing quality managers. He is his own man.
  • I have been critical of CP and his tactical nous, but he tends not to repeat the same mistake twice now and that shows that he is learning and as he has been given time to learn is improving as a manager.  Maybe some chairman who get rid of managers because of short term results and fans opinions should take note of what Charlton have achieved with CP and of course Curbs.
  • He has built his own team this season to build tactics around. Just brought in the players he wants, (within reason) simple.

For an inexperienced manager I can imagine it would be very hard to walk into a dressing room of players your unsure about, and take them forward.
  • Chris is going to make mistakes , even Sir Alex does , its whether he learns from them or not , & is given the time to sort them out by the board , or whether he blindly continues on the same track, not realising he's making them, last season he didn't have the tools to do the job , this season he has and we are flourishing.

I think we have a decent , honest guy who wants what the supporters want , ( would include the players and rest of the management team in that ) the fact we know we are top for Christmas Day , for me is like having a Christmas present early , and having it every day when i wake up and see the League table is fantastic.
  • There's something special about SCP. Crucially, as said, he learns and learns fast. But the players not only respect him but will go that extra mile for him. Said it all for me that when Hogan Ephraim came off the pitch, SCP was there ready to give him a hug, Hogan was grinning from ear to ear. The added extra that SCP and his team have got going has me hopelessly in love with it all.

• edited December 2011
    Chris is going to make mistakes , even Sir Alex does , its whether he learns from them or not , & is given the time to sort them out by the board , or whether he blindly continues on the same track, not realising he's making them, last season he didn't have the tools to do the job , this season he has and we are flourishing.

I think we have a decent , honest guy who wants what the supporters want , ( would include the players and rest of the management team in that ) the fact we know we are top for Christmas Day , for me is like having a Christmas present early , and having it every day when i wake up and see the League table is fantastic.
    Quality that we completely deserve it as well, playing great football and scoring alot of goals this year, makes a nice change

• Something was said to me when CP was recruited was that he was likely to stick around for the long term.  I think the person was referring to Howe and how he was likely to jump ship at the first better offer where as Powell would see the job as a long term project and understands what Charlton can be.

Doesn't mean he won't make mistakes or that those mistakes should be ignored but I think he's here for the long haul and personally I hope he is.  It won't always be as quite as fantastic as it is right now but I think there will be more good times than bad under Chris.