Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot vs Hamer

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Ben Hamer Looked top draw last night. I only got to see it on sky due to living in Ireland but what are your thoughts on Ben now is he better then Rob.....?
Also id say Rob is sickened watching how well we are going in a team he could have been part of!!!

Comments

• no contest, Hamer all day long, feel much safer with him in goal, he held onto 4 or 5 very tricky shots that bounced right in front of him last night
  • He's probably the only player I'm not 100% convinced with at the moment tbh. That is not a criticism of him, I'm just worried about his handling and flapping on crosses.

No doubt that he is a decent shot stopper though.

• Hamer, bollocks his defenders even if it was his fault, liked robbie but he used to feel sorry for himself if he made a cock up.

Felt Hamer's distribution wasnt that good last night. 
  • Hamer was great last night he needs to improve his kicking of the moving ball and work on his distribution but overall he is a good keeper. Is he better than Elliot? I would say yes as he doesn't get beaten from long range so easily, add to that he looks fitter during his latter times at The Valley Rob looked a bit of a chubster.

• Here we go again.

If Robbie had dropped the crosses Hamer did last night or slipped making a save he would have been crucified on here despite a win and a clean sheet but it's halo and horns. 

Hamer is a good keeper who sometimes makes mistakes same as Robbie IMHO but one is slim and we paid a fee for him so his errors are overlooked.
  • At the moment Hamer is not as good as Elliot, but he does have the advantage of playing behind a much better defence than Rob ever had. Stick Rob Elliot in our current team and he'd look a lot better.
  • edited November 2011
    hamer does organise the defence better than robbie could but like robbie he  too flaps a bit for crosses. robbie got given a lot of slack for being a charlton fan and thats fair enough but i reckon hamer will get buried if he lets in 4 goals with regularity.
  • edited November 2011
  • At the moment Hamer is not as good as Elliot, but he does have the advantage of playing behind a much better defence than Rob ever had. Stick Rob Elliot in our current team and he'd look a lot better.
    The same long shots would continue to beat him.
  • Hamer's kicking worries me sometimes. Catching crosses, yes he's flapped at a few but that's a league one keeper for you.

Said at the start of the season theres not much between Hamer/Elliot or Sullivan and still think that's the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• I really think Hamer is a top keeper in the making.  Already a top draw shot stopper, just needs to polish off a few blemishes
  • Henry, I can't see how you see this as another dig at Elliot. Yeah, there's been plenty of them over the last 2 seasons and many were unjustified. Both have areas in their game that could be better. For me it would be Hamer as his command of the area is better IMO.

His handling was superb last night. Every time they fired a shot at him, Rhodes came running in to mop up any spills but came away with nothing every time.

• His confidence grew as the game went on. By the last 15 mins he was dominating his area totally and he knew he was going to catch every ball he came for in those final minutes, so did we and more importantly so did the Huddersfield players. Confidence is a wonderful thing when it's running high.
  • Hamer is really starting to shine. We've kept five clean sheets in our last seven games, that doesn't happen if the defence don't have complete confidence in the guy in between the sticks which is what I always felt was lacking with Robbie in goal.
  • Hamer's kicking is excellent. Yes, he scuffs a couple (are there any keepers who don't?), but I imagine his pass completion rate to Kermorgant is very high.

He doesn't fill me with confidence on crosses, but neither did Deano, and he was arguably one of the top 5 keepers in the Premiership. He's still improving, and with our rock solid defence in front of him we're in very safe hands.

Don't think there's much between Elliot and Hamer.
  • I also don't think there's much between the two.
  • Hamer is at least as good a keeper as Elliot and technically a better football player in my opinion.

I liked Elliot when he was here and believe he was criticised unfairly at times.  Conversely, I think Hamer has been judged harshly at times as he does not have the sentimental 'pull' of Elliot.

As for his distribution not being decent - his quick thinking set up a chance for BWP against Carlisle so it's not all bad.  Hamer is a decent keeper for League One level and I think has the potential to push on (the same is true of the entire team so far though, which definitely helps!)

• They are very similar. Laurel and Hardy some might say!
  • I wasnt a fan of Elliott and I am not really a fan of Hamer although he played well last night.

We need to sign a top keeper when we go up.

Lets be honest we havent had a proper decent keeper since Deano.

• edited November 2011
    Got to agree with most of the posts - Hamer does flap on corners and crosses. The shot that he pushed onto the post appeared to go over his hands and he was lucky not to concede. His handlingof crosses is never 'clean' and is usually caught after a brief fumble. That's only the truth and I have no issues with Hamer whatsoever. Don't actually think that there's much between Hamer, Elliot or Sullivan TBH.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hamer has a vastly superior defence infront of him.

However, Elliot contributed to poor defending as he never opened his mouth.

Personally thought the oppo would score everytime a shot came in from 25 yards whilst Elliot was between the sticks.

Fitness and athleticism there is no contest.

Hamer has potential to progress. Elliot went nowhere in the last two seasons.

To be honest it is a pointless argument as Elliot has nothing to do with Charlton anymore.
  • No contest, Ben Hamer is a far far better keeper than Rob Elliott and Hamer will get better and better. He is young, tall, agile and very confident, good distribution, organises well, he's everything that a modern keeper should be
  • he makes a few mistakes but what keeper doesn't. No better, no worse than Robbie IMHO.
  • I think they're on par, Hamer flaps at crosses sometimes, and Robbie got beat by the odd long ranger. Both have positives and negatives in the game, let's just concentrate on Hamer now, our current number 1!!!!

He looked solid last night, but for the first time in a while his kicking was poor,

• At the moment you can't really compare the two as Hamer has only played 16 games so far and kept 6 clean sheets. Hamer was top drawer last night. The save he made from Parkins shot was superb as the ball bounced in front of him. Held the ball comfortably when dealing with long range shots with Rhodes ready to pounce. Looks like a great keeper in the making. He has made numerous great saves, saved a penalty and got an assist so don't really know where all this worrying is coming from.

The same long shots would continue to beat him.

Someone should have told him it was a mince pie or something, nothing like that gets past Robbie...
  • What I liked about Hamer last night was even after he flapped and missed a few he still threw himself at every ball. Robbie had a tendancy to retreat within himself after a slip up
  • If Elliot was betternthan Hamer CP would have kept Elliot
  • Hamer seems to have a strong and confident personality and it seems to rub off on players around him (at the moment).