Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Gary Speed

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Stunned by this. Like others on here, I was watching him on Football Focus only yesterday, I'm so shocked by it. RIP
  • Rest in peice Gary Speed, hope your in a better place now
  • edited November 2011
    Just spent the last hour listening to Robbie Savage on 606. I'm not one for welling up but several times I could feel myself starting to go. By the end Robbie couldn't hold himself together any more but how he managed as long a he did was a tribute to his friend and colleague.

Lets hope he's at peace now.
  • Terrible news very sad,RIP.

• Unreal. RIP

We'll have a tribute before the game tomorrow.

Did he play for Huddersfield in the past ?
    No he played for our hated local rivals L666ds but you couldn't hope to meet a nicer chap and will be sorely missed! RIP
  • Desperately sad. RIP
  • He was a true gent i met him over xmas many years back when he visited newcastle victoria hospital as one of the newcastle team and spent 15 mins with my daughter and myself in tne cancer ward a lovely genuine man tnank you gary
  • I feel very sad at the tragic news RIP Gary and condolences to all his friends and family
  • Rest in peace Gary Speed.  So, so sad.

My thoughts are with your family and friends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't particularly like savage - but thought he has come across very well in all of this. He is obviously gutted, but paying speed a huge tribute.

Shocking - agree with the sentiment above that we should have a minute silence/applause tomorrow night.

RIP.
  • RIP Gary Speed. A model pro.

I sincerely hope that these stories about a tabloid sniffing around his private life are completely unfounded.
  •  

RIP Gary Speed. A model pro.

I sincerely hope that these stories about a tabloid sniffing around his private life are completely unfounded.

unfortunately with what has been found out and said over the past few weeks it woudent surprise me. anything to sell their rags.

RIP. painfully sad news.

• I thought when i first herd it must have been a heart attack, but the news was even worse.

Rest in Peace

thoughts to his family.
  • edited November 2011
    Aaargh, wrong thread.

Really sad news. Never played for us, but one of those opposition players I always had a lot of respect for.
    RIP.
  • Rumours are that he was going to be front page news today.
    The Sun were allegedly going to out him as gay today hence he topped himself

Source = twitter
  • Tragic news as others have said. When he played for Newcastle he was loved not only for being a great player but always seemed to do lots for the kids and charitable work in the community. This had left me so sad but as hubby said, many others take this route due to depression and maybe we should spare a thought for them too. RIP.
  • Gary Speed was a model professional and seemed a genuinely nice man. Whatever the tragic circumstances are which led to his death the bottom feeders of the press now need to leave well alone and not make this devastating situation for his family even worse.

Rest in Peace Gary all true fans of Football are thinking about you.

• Sponsored links:

• Unreal. RIP

We'll have a tribute before the game tomorrow.
    Did he play for Huddersfield in the past ?

Did he play for Liverpool or City?

Swansea or Villa?

• shocking news, bobby gould chocked me up this morning on the radio when he said his poor kiddies wont have daddy around anymore, ronnie irani started crying and they cut to an ad break. i feel for his family, the poor children always suffer the most and so near to christmas they must have been talking about christmas and getting excited. shocking. RIP gary but all my sympathy really goes to his wife and sons.
  • The wife came into the front room yesterday and asked if Gary Speed was the bloke on Football Focus on Saturday. I said "Yes, why?" and she said "He's dead". I thought it might have been an accident on his way back home after FF but when I heard it was suicide I just couldn't believe it. Having seen him on TV less than 24 hours before, if anyone had asked me if I thought there was even a remote chance that he'd kill himself the next day I 'd have said they were being ridiculous. Just goes to show you never can tell.

RIP.

• What a loss, so sad, still feel very shocked by it all

RIP.

• Just take a step back and think how mentally and physically lost and alone you must feel to take your own life.  I don't think it's a cowards way out.  You can't judge these things.  Just taking the time to talk about your emotions is crucial.  What's right and wrong?  What's rational? Forgiving or accepting people and our faults, really helps to stop judging and justify treating others like shit.  Shame I all to rarely do it.

RIP Gary Speed.
  • shocking news, bobby gould chocked me up this morning on the radio when he said his poor kiddies wont have daddy around anymore, ronnie irani started crying and they cut to an ad break. i feel for his family, the poor children always suffer the most and so near to christmas they must have been talking about christmas and getting excited. shocking. RIP gary but all my sympathy really goes to his wife and sons.
    I heard that Bobby Gould & Ronnie Irani moment this morning too, really brought a lump to my throat.
  • Rumours are that he was going to be front page news today.
    The Sun were allegedly going to out him as gay today hence he topped himself

Source = twitter

Sadly, this is something I think a lot of us were wondering about when we heard the tragic news.

I take on board what others have posted about our "private" as opposed to "public" lives and agree that we never really know what happens behind closed doors , so to speak.

It surely had to be something pretty momentous to plummet Gary to such depths , and with even  his closest pals seemingly unaware .

Nothing will bring back this young man but I for one hope that IF Swisdom's post has some truth in it, said "newsheet " will  never again see the light of day. How much lower can the British press fall ?

• Well Speedo, you cost me a small fortune as yours was one of the Panini cards that no-one seemed able to collect or swap. My son also wrecked the neighbours fence whilst pretending to be you. You are a part of my family history and I can't really believe it. It's horribly tragic and my heart goes out to his family. R.I.P.
  • I hope that the story about The Sun isn't true I really do because they have a four page tribute to Gary Speed in todays edition which would rank as the lowest piece of gutter press hypocrisy ever!

• everyone else has expressed my feelings ... the tragic death of a handsome, talented young man, especially as he has put some pride and vigour back into the Welsh team.