Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Valentines Day 1981 Ipswich 2 Charlton 0

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Having seen off Harlow Town (a) Bournemouth (h) Plymouth (a) and Fulham (a) Charlton travelled to eventual UEFA Cup winners Ipswich Town for this 5th round F.A. Cup tie.

14th Feb 1981 Ipswich Town 2 (0) (Wark 56, Mariner 88) Charlton Athletic 0 (0) Portman Road Att: 30,221

Ipswich Town: Cooper, Osman, McCall, Thyssen, Beatie, Butcher, Wark, Muhren, Mariner, Brazil, Gates. Unused sub: O'Callaghan.

Charlton: Johns, Naylor, Warman, Shaw, Berry, (Smith 46), Tydeman, Powell, Walsh, Hales, Robinson, Walker.

Referee: P G Reeves (Leicester)

Berry broke his nose in the 30th minute after colliding with Walker.
St Etienne manager Pierre Garonnaire (watching Ipswich ahead of their forthcoming UEFA cup quarter final) said of Charlton "They were a remarkable side considering they are in the third division. I was very impressed by their performance."

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2007
    26 years ago - my God. Went to all of those Cup games and we had great turn outs for all the away ties. Hales scored in every round up until the Ippo tie. That Ipswich team were something special that season and most of that team played a significant number of all their games.

I remember Millwall waiting for us at Liverpool Street when we came back from Ippo.
  • Options
    It was heaving in that away end that day. We drove up so didn't enjoy the welcome party at Liverpool Street. Mind you, we had 4 or 5,000 there that day so we'd have had enough numbers.
    I was convinced this game was refereed by Alan Gunn as I always remember my brother shouting at him "I know where you live Gunn you %$*@!" Must have been another game.
    We put up a great show that day against a bloody good side.

Was this the season they went on to play Millwall away in the quarter finals and won 1-6 I wonder? Me and bruv went down the old Den for that and it was carnage.
  • Options
    Got the coach to this one with a few mates. They'd brought a couple of cans of spray string for a bit of fun. As we got near the turnstiles and saw police were searching everyone, they chucked them at me to hide in my handbag. Then that got searched too - fortunately the copper must have been short-sighted, as he lifted one of the cans out, and said, "what's this then, hairspray?", then gave it back to me and let me through...apologies to anyone who subsequently got covered in the stuff!

A fantastic day out, and great performance - can't believe it was that long ago...

Went to Harlow too - Hales scored from near the corner flag, but would not admit afterwards it was meant to be a cross...don't know what he was doing outside the penalty area anyway.
  • Options
    Didn't Ipswich finish as runners-up in the league that year?
  • Options
    i remember listening to reports coming thru on LBC as a young 10 year old and being really proud we'd given this 'famous team' a game.... i think we all take for granted where we are now(premiership for the moment) as to where we've come from, i mean way back then it was just a dream to see us play against the big boys and now those games are 2 a penny(or whatever the saying is)
  • Options
    I remember it going off in our end, before kick off,millwall I think. The old boy walking round the pitch selling programmes and coins being thrown at him.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Didn't Ipswich finish as runners-up in the league that year?

They did indeed. Oh and look who's bottom!

DIVISION ONE
    Pos Name Pld W D L GF GA Pts
    1 Aston Villa 42 26 8 8 72 40 60
    2 Ipswich Town 42 23 10 9 77 43 56
    3 Arsenal 42 19 15 8 61 45 53
    4 West Bromwich Albion 42 20 12 10 60 42 52
    5 Liverpool 42 17 17 8 62 42 51
    6 Southampton 42 20 10 12 76 56 50
    7 Nottingham Forest 42 19 12 11 62 44 50
    8 Manchester United 42 15 18 9 51 36 48
    9 Leeds United 42 17 10 15 39 47 44
    10 Tottenham Hotspur 42 14 15 13 70 68 43
    11 Stoke City 42 12 18 12 51 60 42
    12 Manchester City 42 14 11 17 56 59 39
    13 Birmingham City 42 13 12 17 50 61 38
    14 Middlesbrough 42 16 5 21 53 61 37
    15 Everton 42 13 10 19 55 58 36
    16 Coventry City 42 13 10 19 48 68 36
    17 Sunderland 42 14 7 21 52 53 35
    18 Wolverhampton Wanderers 42 13 9 20 43 55 35
    19 Brighton & Hove Albion 42 14 7 21 54 67 35
    20 Norwich City 42 13 7 22 49 73 33
    21 Leicester City 42 13 6 23 40 67 32
    22 Crystal Palace 42 6 7 29 47 83 19
  • Options
    Surely that can't be the "team of the 80s" at the bottom of the league?
  • Options
    My god - how long ago ! I was taken to this game as a youngster by my friends Dad. It was so packed in the away end I had to sit on a barrier all game so I didn't get crushed. I seem to remember that there were home fans on both sides of us, lots of coins being thrown. On the way out a cider bottle whisked past me, my friends dad nearly had a heart attack...And Les Berry with a broken nose - what a hero!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]26 years ago - my God. Went to all of those Cup games and we had great turn outs for all the away ties. Hales scored in every round up until the Ippo tie. That Ipswich team were something special that season and most of that team played a significant number of all their games.

I remember Millwall waiting for us at Liverpool Street when we came back from Ippo.

Hard to believe it's that long ago, but we certainly made a lot of noise. Was a good laugh at Harlow as well, although I seem to remember a few Spuds fans turning up and trying to cause havoc in the car park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My dad took me and my brother to this game. I was 7 my brother 9. We had seats in the main stand. Don't really remember anything about the game although I do remember my dad whacking my brother for joining in with the "Mariner's a w*nker" chant!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: robinson crusoe[/cite] I do remember my dad whacking my brother for joining in with the "Mariner's a w*nker" chant!

That's reminded me, its amazing the grip football can have on people. A father and son started sitting a few rows behind me this season, obviously their first year. At the start of the season the dad would shout things like 'come along Charlton' and 'play up Charlton', with the kid shouting out the occassional 'useless'.

As the season has progressed, so has jointly their language, to the stage where the dad is should 'f*ckin get stuck in' and the kid calling opposition players 'you f*ckin w**ker'

But mum is well pleased they got a season ticket !!
  • Options
    was a great day out, remember we were in ground at 1.30 all packed out and we were singing that stupid song , 'shaddupa your face' to the ipswich fans.
    also a wedding party came in with bride in the white dress etc and the groom and best man ,
    best away game i've been to, apart from wembley that is
    Paul mariner took some stick that day but ipswich had top team then , arnold muhren ,Thyssen, eric gates, mariner , wark etc
    we had killer and walshy up front though and was 0-0 half time if i recall .,
  • Options
    was this Ipswich game our last big turn out at an away game in the cup until the Bristol City one in 94 ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]was this Ipswich game our last big turn out at an away game in the cup until the Bristol City one in 94 ?
    spurs away in 84ish?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: clivey_hero[/cite]was a great day out, remember we were in ground at 1.30 all packed out and we were singing that stupid song , 'shaddupa your face' to the ipswich fans.

LOL I remember that well now you reminded me. "Wassa madder you, godda no respect............"
  • Options
    and another big away day. Five years to the day after that day out at Wolves.
  • Options
    My first away game. Was only 7 at the time and always remember how packed it was in the away end. Always hated Mariner after that incident.
  • Options
    I remember a banner someone had in the Charlton end:

HALES' true GRITT is SHAW to BERRY Ipswich
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]I remember a banner someone had in the Charlton end:

HALES' true GRITT is SHAW to BERRY Ipswich

Not as good as Young Fish Costa Fortune !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was a really great day out, I thought we had around 6,000 at this one, again got a coach (Ive no idea why), Ipswich were a class side it has to be said. Anybody remember when we drew them down at the Valley? Think we went 2-0 early on, but gave them a bit of a scare at 2-1...they may have gone on to get a third....probably mid to late 70's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]I remember it going off in our end, before kick off,millwall I think. The old boy walking round the pitch selling programmes and coins being thrown at him.

Yes, it was Millwall and they got a bit of a shoeing that day. They came down to the Valley a few weeks later to extract revenge when we played Barnsley and got another shoeing. When we played them in the league a week or so after that there were no Charlton to be seen at all.
  • Options
    Does anyone else remember Terry Naylor clinging on the back of one of the scorers as he ran through on goal ?

The home Cup game when we went 2 up early on was in the early 80s wasn't it ?
  • Options
    Might have been....ended up 3-2 if my memory serves me right...Mariner got a couple and maybe Wark? Probably one for Oggy...he seems to be the memory man
  • Options
    I cant believe I missed that game - probably playing football for the the Boys Brigade as I missed quite a few games in the late 70's / early 80s due to playing on Saturday afternoons.

I remember the game was covered by BBC and shown on MOTD later that night and the papers he next day all showed Les Berry's bloody shirt.
  • Options
    just a reminder that it's Valentines day on Sunday gents.
  • Options
    Violets are blue......
  • Options
    My first away outside London season , I was 15 and went with my dad and Uncle , my Uncle is from Ipswich and supported Town so we sat down in a home area .

An amazing day to see the massed rows of Charlton fans , I still think had Berry not broken his nose and been subbed at half time we may have sneaked a draw .
  • Options
    A great day and a good crowd, came out to a parking ticket slapped on my wind screen though

:-(
  • Options
    Wassa madda you?