Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life, Down At The Mac, Owlstalk....

Comments

• If they beat us at Hillsborough there will still be a lot of football to be played for the rest of the season, we should all get real, maybe not 'one aim', but to borrow a phrase from the cliche thread: 'one game at a time'.
  • Very true we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. But it still doesn't answer the question I have, do they have chip and pin up north?

I know steam trains were decommisened last year in Sheffield but still they must have chip and pin?
  • Having seen both the Wendies and Huddersfield at the Valley this year  - my guess is that the Wendies should be worrying more about this Saturday's game rather than trolling on a Charlton forum.  That said if I had to watch Megson's total football every week I'd too have a pretty low entertainment threshold.
  • Having seen both the Wendies and Huddersfield at the Valley this year  - my guess is that the Wendies should be worrying more about this Saturday's game rather than trolling on a Charlton forum.  That said if I had to watch Megson's total football every week I'd too have a pretty low entertainment threshold.
    Christ, when did Charlton  morph in to Barcelona? You play effective football but lets be right 3rd tier is rarely pretty, I don't recall Southampton and Brighton playing tip tap football all the time last season, they played to their strengths which got them promoted, you've seen us what? Once exclude the cup games with the reserves out and we were well below par but we can play the ball about when we want, we do however use our strengths, we've not picked up 29 points from the last 12 games by being a hoofball team, we've done it by being better than the opposition.
  • dont worry mate too many too many people on here dont get it. In this division the answer is win whatever style and get out.

• I thought Brighton did play tip tap football most of last season? They had fans booing early last season as they were being patient. Poyet doesn't want them to play any other way.

We don't play passing football all game every game, we play on the floor when we can but there have been times when we've happily gone long.

Sheff Wed are a look a bit like us a couple of years ago. Will be up there challenging, the football won't always be great (but probably not as bad some make out) but you've had to build a team of loanees and free transfers.
  • Very strange to just miss of the first 3 games in my view. Current form across 17 rather than 20 ? What does this prove. In the next 3 games we won 1 and drew 2 including the Wednesday game. Should we not exclude them as that is us settling in as well ?

What does all that say - not a lot. Both sets of supporters have good teams and there is a long way to go. Plenty of events will unfold over Xmas and upto Easter before we know what is going on.

P.S.
    No idea what CS and FtS in the table are.

What I think it suggests (rather than proving anything) is that Sheff Wed's form this season is, pretty much, as good as ours. The reason for leaving out the initial games is because that is their only bad patch, and it is not uncommon for a team to gel at the start of the season - especially when they have a few new faces to settle in.

The whole point of my post was to demonstrate that, in my view, Wednesday fans have every reason to believe that they will catch us. Their fans (and their forum, in particular) have been ridiculed on here because some Lifers have claimed that they are delusional to believe that they could ever catch us. I don't think they are. If we'd done exactly what they'd done, bearing in mind the sheer number of new players signed in the summer, we would be very confident that we would catch them. We would be trotting out all the old clichés- our team took three games to gel, since then we have won more points than them - we drew at their place and they have to come to The Valley where our record is fantastic (Wednesday have won 8 and drawn one at home).

If we, and Huddersfield, both win at Hillsborough then we will be able to cast aspersions on the Owls fans, but if Wednesday win both of those games then it will be a very different picture.
  • if you look at the Wendies results they have been winning by the odd goal so at some point they will start to draw games
    Christ, when did Charlton  morph in to Barcelona? You play effective football but lets be right 3rd tier is rarely pretty, I don't recall Southampton and Brighton playing tip tap football all the time last season, they played to their strengths which got them promoted, you've seen us what? Once exclude the cup games with the reserves out and we were well below par but we can play the ball about when we want, we do however use our strengths, we've not picked up 29 points from the last 12 games by being a hoofball team, we've done it by being better than the opposition.
    You're a hoofball physical team your fans recognise that why can't you? we play effective football and who are you to say it's not pretty? we almost always play 'tip tap' football
  • We're not hoofball though, most fans on any SWFC forum will say the same, I never said we weren't physical, we clearly are, we have big lads and use them well.

I've seen Charlton a couple of times and it's not 'tip tap' you don't string 40 passes together you move the ball quickly into space, like we do.

Roll on the 14th then we can see who is the best team on that day, if you win I will come on here and congratulate you.
  • Sponsored links:

• The amount of time this Owls guy spends on here , he must be either very worried about Charlton , or totally peed off with his own message board?
  • The amount of time this Owls guy spends on here , he must be either very worried about Charlton , or totally peed off with his own message board?
    he's having a rest from Redtube.
  • Or seriously bored at work.
    Well that's not true. I've seen the Full Monty and there are no jobs in Sheffield - unless you count stripping or working in the dole office. Which one do you do?
  • I would actually us rather finish second and wednesday not get promoted at all than us win the league and wednesday come up through the play offs or automatic.

Their attitude is beyond ridiculous. They didn't even appear on our radar for the last seven years and yet somehow they think they're billy big bananas. They're an absolute joke beyond even words.
  • I would actually us rather finish second and wednesday not get promoted at all than us win the league and wednesday come up through the play offs or automatic.

Their attitude is beyond ridiculous. They didn't even appear on our radar for the last seven years and yet somehow they think they're billy big bananas. They're an absolute joke beyond even words.
    Apart from playing each other in 4 of the last 5 seasons?
  • Banter loses something when it isn't shouted by drunk blokes across your table in the pub.
    Well that's not true. I've seen the Full Monty and there are no jobs in Sheffield - unless you count stripping or working in the dole office. Which one do you do?
    Have to say that there are many attractive laideez in Sheffield though. Working there this week and from the office window its a constant game of would ya, watching the students walk up to Uni!
    Have to say that there are many attractive laideez in Sheffield though. Working there this week and from the office window its a constant game of would ya, watching the students walk up to Uni!
    Students don't come from Sheffield though : - )
  • owlsonline works at the crucible

• Sponsored links:

Leave off, guarantee he'll be one of the thousands of ex-pats who come dahn saff for work and provide decent away followings at the Valley.

That's where my money is going !

PS. like Owlsonline, very decent poster imo
  • crawler

Leave off, guarantee he'll be one of the thousands of ex-pats who come dahn saff for work and provide decent away followings at the Valley.

That's where my money is going !

PS. like Owlsonline, very decent poster imo
    Just as long as he doesn't bring that outside lavvy with him!
  • Lovin' the Walsall result against The Owls. At one point there was a 2 point gap between us and ends up 8.  

• There will be no 'sex-weeing' by Smegson's boys tonight... 
  • edited December 2011
    I hear that Claridge and "Manish wotsiname fella" have been rushed to the BBC studios to make 1 hour special on how Mahoosive Sheffield Wendies are !
  • Wednesday will be fine. They had their "blip" earlier in the season remember. No way on this earth they would have another one ............... oh ............
  • Owlstalk is brilliant.

They were bigging llera up after one game saying that he is what they have been missing. After today's game, he was a car crash waiting to happen, Bambi on ice.
  • vffvff
    edited December 2011
    Owlstalk is brilliant.

They were bigging llera up after one game saying that he is what they have been missing. After today's game, he was a car crash waiting to happen, Bambi on ice.
    We could have told him about that, and probably did but they don't seem to listen. A great character Llera but with definite defensive weaknesses.

A
    lot of Sheff Weds fans currently remind me of Charlton fans time prior
    to the take over. The old Charlton team were around the promotion places
    but didn't have the quality to win promotion. As a supporter, you want
    to hope the best for your team and you don't want to look at reality.
    Like your will and belief as a supporter can push your team to promotion. I guess we all feel like that as football supporters. The league position doesn't lie over a season. MK Dons look like they
    have the quality for second, closely run by Huddersfield. Play offs for
    Sheff Weds looks likely. The Play Offs are a lottery.

Without counting chickens, one game at a time and all that, Charlton look to have the quality to go up.