Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Kean given new contract

According to the Mirror
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Steve-Kean-seals-new-Blackburn-deal-article833461.html

What does everyone make of this? On one hand its refreshing to see owners giving the manager time and not just sacking him as soon as things go bad.

On the other hand it's ridiculous to reward someone for doing a terrible job.

Comments

• According to the Mirror
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Steve-Kean-seals-new-Blackburn-deal-article833461.html

What does everyone make of this? On one hand its refreshing to see owners giving the manager time and not just sacking him as soon as things go bad.

On the other hand it's ridiculous to reward someone for doing a terrible job.
    Hmm...a very unexpected decision if true. Maybe they've been looking at a certain club in south London for inspiration. Plenty of people on here* were calling for Powelly to go 6 months ago yet our board did the right thing and stuck by him and here we are...

*you know who you are!
  • I guess the similarities aren't all that different to Powell but if Powell was doing as shit as Kean this season, I doubt there would be a single person on here who could justify giving him a contract extension. He is completley out of his depth at Blackburn. Gotta feel sorry for their fans to watch their club undergo such a needless demise.
  • I guess the similarities aren't all that different to Powell but if Powell was doing as shit as Kean this season, I doubt there would be a single person on here who could justify giving him a contract extension. He is completley out of his depth at Blackburn. Gotta feel sorry for their fans to watch their club undergo such a needless demise.
    Have to say I think Venkys are totally out of their depth too.
  • believe they would have sacked him but they chickened out
  • I think its a smart move, Blackburn aren't that bad a side really, they've been very unlucky in some games.

Bottom line is that a lot of the press don't like Kean because he back-stabbed their old mate Allardyce to get the job.

• Very surprised at this if true, Blackburn and Wigan seem highly likely to drop this season, and if either of them have a job by the end of this season I'd be astounded
  • I think its a smart move, Blackburn aren't that bad a side really, they've been very unlucky in some games.

Bottom line is that a lot of the press don't like Kean because he back-stabbed their old mate Allardyce to get the job.

I don't understand how, the team has been in absolute freefall since he took over, they've been unlucky in some games but he has shown very little to suggest he can keep them up. Big Sam kept them up last year with his good start.

I don't understand how, the team has been in absolute freefall since he took over, they've been unlucky in some games but he has shown very little to suggest he can keep them up. Big Sam kept them up last year with his good start.

Allardyce did keep them up and is a far more effective manager than Kean, but he had a major fallout with the owners and had to go so there is no point comparing the two.

Blackburn have some decent players and the owners have made it clear that they are not going to be splashing millions on new players coming in so, thinking logically, they may as well stick with the bloke who brought the current squad to the club and give him a decent run at it.

Blackburn were desperately unlucky not to beat Chelsea at Ewood a couple of weeks back and will pick up points at home, I think it makes a refreshing change for a club to stick by their man rather than give in to the knee jerk sacking.

There is certainly plenty of spirit in the Blackburn team, no doubt about that.

• Will sack him before Christmas, I can't think of another club who would their manager a extended contract and then sack him on Christmas Eve.
  • What was his run as caretaker manager like ?
  • Sponsored links:

• believe they would have sacked him but they chickened out
    I got it!
  • Will sack him before Christmas, I can't think of another club who would their manager a extended contract and then sack him on Christmas Eve.
    And I got this one!
  • Is he doing such a terrible job?. He's no players, no money and small crowds. The owners have backed him to the hilt thereby giving him the confidence to do the job his way without the sword of damocles hanging over him leading to him making too many panic decisions. I am pleased to see that at least some owners are prepared to wait a while for success and not (like Chelsea for example) to sack a manager after a year because of a perception of failure.   
  • suprising, they obviously believe in him behind the scenes. Les reed pretty much got the same thing when he was rubbish, they he was out just after xmas...
  • very much agree with that lincaddick
  • Blackburn supporting mate says Kean is trying to get the team to play football on the deck and wants him to stay. The fickle fans are apparently results driven (who isn't these days) but the majority believe that if they can get a run going, they'll be ok.
  • You can't say he's lost the dressing room, not by the way Blackburn are trying. Quite interestingly, as we seem to be drawing comparisions to our situation some years ago, they also have a League Cup 1/4 against supposed lower opposistion. We all know what happened in ours, and afterwards.
  • I think he's doing an alright job, they did a number on arsenal and have been unlucky. Kean's biggest problem is that he's replaced, in controversial circumstances, the best a club like Blackburn could hope for
  • According to the Mirror http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Steve-Kean-seals-new-Blackburn-deal-article833461.html What does everyone make of this? On one hand its refreshing to see owners giving the manager time and not just sacking him as soon as things go bad. On the other hand it's ridiculous to reward someone for doing a terrible job.

A bit like somebody taking the job as caretaker with fans being told that he would be judged on results.

No win in 8 games & rewarded with a 3 year contract  

• You're beginning to sound like Oooh Aaaah.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Interestingly that's exactly what we did with Les Reed before we sacked him a few weeks later.

The club later revealed that he wasn't, in fact, given a new contract it was just a PR stunt to remove the constant rumours about him being sacked.

Blackburn are one of the poorer teams in a league that is dominated by club with much, much greater resources than them. They can't compete and a new manager is going to struggle to change their fortunes much. He kept them up last season and 4th from bottom would be a significant achievement for them this season. The fans are unrealistic, never have that happen here ;-), and even if they get their way and he is sacked they will probably struggle to even find someone that would take the job without an expensive long term contract and a transfer budget in January.

For all we know they might have approached a number of managers and they may have all said no.
  • We couldn't afford to sack Parky as we still needed to pay off Pardew & Dowie. Perhaps they are in a similar situation ?
  • He clearly has not lost the dressing room as recent performances would seem to back up. Perhaps as others have said though he is the 'Cheap' option.
  • I actually don't think Blackburn will go down...Steve Keen in charge or otherwise. Can see it being a long hard winter for Norwich and Swansea though...
  • Just thought I'd check the facts. No new contract !

Blackburn Rovers have confirmed that Steve Kean's new contract has been 'formalised'.

Reports have been widespread in recent weeks about Keanimage getting a new contract from the club's owners Venky's - despite their struggles this season.Now the club have issued a statement saying that a 'revision' of Kean's contract has been made after a previous agreement was reached with the Scot over the summer.They also insist that the deal is not an extension, with his deal still due to run until 2013.The statement read: "Following recent media speculation Blackburn Roversimage FC can confirm a revision to manager Steve Kean's existing contract has been completed."An agreement made in the summer has now been formalised."Contrary to some reports there is no change to the length of the contract."The club respects that all contracts are private and confidential and no further comment will be made."
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15957699.stm

The bloke is a tosser.

He's a puppet (Brian Conley), Venkys tell him what to do and he does it.. only reason he is still there. Allardyce wouldnt be their puppet so he was sacked.

His record is awful...
    Blackburn RoversEngland13 December 2010Present346111717.65
    Nearly as bad as Sir Les.
  • Absolute cobblers, it's a quarter final ffs.

If anything, it has heaped more pressure on the players for the upcoming league games.

• That will be a popular move with the fans!

Remember when villa forfeited a Europa League game in Moscow (and the hilarious argument on here that the fans didn't have to go there!) ? They lost the following game.

Remember when Notts County played a full strength team at Inter? They won their game the following Saturday. Imagine the lift the players would've got from playing in that game!

What an idiot.
  • He has a new contract, but it seems that the new contract has various clauses to suit both parties and it will be easier for the owners to dispense with his services if the need arises, with obvious remuneration for Kean. Think the writing is on the wall for him.

• Did anyone see the guy at the front right steps to pitch from the Lower North on Monday night near the end of the match ? He was seemingly making a bizarre protest against the Blackburn manager in his own small way...

I say "small" because my pal & I saw him stand there ( presumably for the cameras) as a goal kick was being taken by Bennett , holding up a sign saying " Kean out " .

For a start, this was surely not the best arena for his protest

But the point I'm making is that said sign was a handwritten one, on a piece of cardboard no larger than an A4 sheet !!!

Protest made, goal kick taken so he trudged up the stairs and off home !

BTW Only 1 white wine before KO for me so I wasn't hallucinating.....