Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jobs From Hell - What's Yours ?

Just spent the afternoon cleaning the oven. Frickiing nightmare.

Comments

• Options
    Trimming the fur around Bailey's  'Arris'

• Options
    Lovely TCE!
  • Options
    Trimming the fur around Bailey's  'Arris'

I sooo hate that too! worse job of the week cleaning a terriers pooey backside and trimming the hair...
  • Options
    Ironing ...
  • Options
    Collecting lobsters from Joan Crawfords .......
  • Options
    Fluffer
  • Options
    I worked in a Kiwi packing factory for three weeks in New Zealand. It was awful. The conveyor belt would drop 24 Kiwis into a box and I had to put re-organise them into their little holes within 10-30 seconds and put the next layer on or change the box before the next batch dropped down. Needless to say I didn't always succeed and I'd have the bastard fruit all over the place. The better quality of Kiwis being checked up the line the quicker they would come. This went on for 7 hours a day non-stop.

After a few days in this job I started having nightmares about killer Kiwi fruit. I'd dream that they were attacking me (which in reality there were in a manner of speaking). If there was some kind of dreamcatching technology it would have made one of those comic-horror type films.
  • Options
    When you say ''Kiwi packer'' and ''putting them in their little holes'', I did at first assume you meant Kiwi as in person of New Zealand origin.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
  • Options
    When you say ''Kiwi packer'' and ''putting them in their little holes'', I did at first assume you meant Kiwi as in person of New Zealand origin.
    I thought he meant the birds. That would have been a bit grim - I think they're an endangered species. Sharp beaks on the little fuckers too.

For my part, my worst job would have to be a toss-up between emptying bins in Gravesend in the middle of a heatwave, working on the tray wash in Tesco's distribution warehouse in Harlow or being a brickie's mate for a team of insane Russian brickies. Actually, scratch that - working as a fishmonger was worse than all of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    modelling, nightmare.
  • Options
    Fruit packing in charlton was bloody grim , in fact it was fuking shit
  • Options
    Fruit packing in charlton was bloody grim , in fact it was fuking shit
    I did that many years ago, chingford fruit packers, oh the memories...
    Clearing the sewers is the worst maintenance job at home. In cold weather all the crap freezes and blocks the drains. Someone has to clear them and it won't be the wife. What happened to equality!
  • Options

When I was doing my pupillage at the Wethereds Brewery in Marlow, I had to empty the mash tun of spent grains, by hand. You couldn't wait too long for them to cool down, so you had to climb into a fairly hot vessel (obviously wearing long wellington boots) and shovel the grains towards a hole at one end.

Physically demanding but also in a hot, steamy atmosphere. If any of the spent grains slopped over into your welly it was very uncomfortable; not hot enough to burn you, but very hot!

I only had to do this for one week, but the normal crew did it twice a day, every day, for years! These days it is automated in all but the smaller, more traditional breweries.  

• Options
    Worked in the Matchbox factory.  The most repetitive and boring thing I've done.  I only did 6 weeks as a stop gap; some people were in there for a lifetime.  I had to assemble 10,000 petrol tankers a day.  I never managed to complete my target, but the old dears who sat near me where as quick as lightning and finished their targets with an hour to spare, from that point on they'd put their work in my box.  Nice people.
  • Options
    I worked in a lampshade factory in Plumstead as a youth, hated it, had to wrap lampshades, box them for dispatch to Woolworths, the place was a nightmare, highlighted by the fact had the hots for one of the women, until she was discovered in the store having some 'afternoon delight' with the ugliest bloke in the place....
  • Options

Toy superstore during Christmas, got no training at all and had no idea how to work the tills etc. Quit after 2 weeks. Also worked in a woolen mill, not fun in the middle of the summer carrying wheelbarrows full of stones all day long.

• Options
    Fudge packing was a right pain in the arse!
  • Options
    Worked in the Matchbox factory.  The most repetitive and boring thing I've done.  I only did 6 weeks as a stop gap; some people were in there for a lifetime.  I had to assemble 10,000 petrol tankers a day.  I never managed to complete my target, but the old dears who sat near me where as quick as lightning and finished their targets with an hour to spare, from that point on they'd put their work in my box.  Nice people.
    You should have gone on strike.
  • Options
    Anything that involves bin juice

Putting the cover on the duvet, can never do it right

In actual job terms, cold calling. Hated that job with a passion and it didnt help my manager was a cliche filled, arrogant dick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Might have got fired
  • Options
    Might have got fired
    Damn! I knew there was a joke in there somewhere - just not quick enough...
  • Options
    Charltonlife Admin
  • Options
    Might have got fired
    Too much heavy work. Perhaps you should have tried something a little lighter?
  • Options
    Was a pump engineer for 6 months way back----sewage pumps aint the worst its pumps that have anything to do with kitchen waste  or  old booze ------------minging  and i have a very strong stomach ------hence being on here with u left wing twonks.
  • Options
    Working on a hop farm, especially as I was expecting to enjoy it. Boring work, horrible people. Did get to drive a tractor though.
  • Options
    Ooh a couple... Cleaning a chicken processing plant was bad, but nothing beats Grampian Pork. A day spent wrapping bacon round sausages. I'll never have pigs in blankets again! The worst thing was the fat knacker next to me who got told off for eating the raw bacon. I felt like my soul was torn from my body and slowly killed in front of me. Which must be like being a arsenal fan.
  • Options
    Floyd Montana 10:11AM Quote
    Addicted said:

DaveMehmet said:

Stig said:
    Worked in the Matchbox factory. The most repetitive and boring thing I've done. I only did 6 weeks as a stop gap; some people were in there for a lifetime. I had to assemble 10,000 petrol tankers a day. I never managed to complete my target, but the old dears who sat near me where as quick as lightning and finished their targets with an hour to spare, from that point on they'd put their work in my box. Nice people.

Might have got fired

Too much heavy work. Perhaps you should have tried something a little lighter?

Thank you all for your ideas. What a bunch of bright sparks you are.
  • Options
    I had a Temporary job pill packing from 5.45am in a clean room environment where you had to wear steel capped boots, overalls, gloves, masks and a hair net all day.  One job involved a conveyor belt production line with individual work stations where you had to add say two pills to the base film of a blister pack, wait 10 seconds for it to proceed to the next work station and repeat for 8 hours a day, for up to three weeks.

Another task we had a miner's lamp on our head and using a magnifying glass we had to wipe the barcode print from individual capsules with a maximum of 5 wipes of industrial strength ethanol.  Outcome of that was, the fumes I was breathing in made me physically sick and after the second time that this happened I had to go home.  On my return the next day I heard that they were not going to pay me for my time off so I left.

Another Temporary job, CD/DVD packing.  One of only two English people working on the night shift where you thought you were in a foreign country.  You were working in an un-heated building at workbenches with no seats allowed.  The jobs included stretching your hands over two steel spindles picking up and placing say 10,000 CD/DVDs in their cases in a session.  You come to realise that one of your hands is much more flexible than the other (I'm right handed).  The other one rigor mortis sets in.  I left only when a Hungarian girl (bitch) had me in tears during my first attempt for not keeping up with her   She had been there for 18 months!

Oh what joy!
  • Options
    Married to Curb_it.