Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Referee @ Wigan Blackburn

Just watched the game on Match of the Day.  We have had some dross reffing our games this season but they have been world class compared to this guy, who failed to give Wigan a blatant penalty in front of him, but even worse he allowed a Blackburn goal when Pedersen passed from a corner to himself,took a second touch and crossed.  The official thought Yakouba touched the ball first but he clearly did not and admitted it.  Long may they keep that ref in the Premier League.

Comments

• Options
    Another boring prem game

That ref was shocking , Pedersen bluffed that corner and got away with it unreal ..... I remember us attempting that but bodging it up cos the oppo player saw the not so sly tap in the corner

And fairplay to Paul Robinson winning the penalty and getting a bloody head for his troubles ..... And blackburn came back twice to draw the match with only ten men !
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I don't think you can blame the ref for the corner incident. The Blackburn player goofed it up or blatantly cheated.

It's such a crap set piece. Man U tried it a couple of years ago with Giggs and Rooney. The ref disallowed the subsequent goal, wrongly by the letter of the law as it happens. It is gamesmanship and it is just wrong.

A CAFC employee (current) who used to run a local boys team (maybe still does) did it against my lads team about 3 years ago. It all kicked off, probabaly U12's from memory.

IMO it is borderline cheating but it is within the laws if not the spirit of the game.

• Options
    I don't like Wigan or Blackburn (they are both dour sides who have more than outlived their season in the sun) but I really wanted Wigan to win that one after that ridiculous corner incident. 
  • Options
    Better than the clown that did Saints Brighton.  You have to wonder if they are cheating
  • Options
    Why is it considered 'cheating' to play the ball quickly from a corner kick?  It seems that it only is considered to be 'cheating' because the opposition are so dozy that they fail to see what has happened.  Or as in this instance when both the officials miss it.  It is the job of the ref and assistant to make sure that the ball has been touched so they both failed.  Missing the obvious penalty should mean the ref's next match is in the Blue Square. 
  • Options
    Because he played it to himself.  No-one else touched it.
  • Options
    Sorry Stig that's not my point.  I know Yakubu had failed to kick the ball (and therefore Pedersen kicked it twice) that as my post makes clear.  I was referring to the suggestion that to touch the ball and then move away is somehow cheating.  Why should the kicker be required to ensure that the opposition are aware he has kicked the ball?  In this instance the correct decision should have been an indirect free kick (Law 17) as Yakubu had failed to kick the ball.  I have never rated Marriner as a ref and this performance confirms my opinion. How he waved play on when Moses was brought down is a mystery.  I'm surprised that he didn't book Robinson for headbutting the Wigan players boot!!!
  • Options
    I don't think its cheating.anymore than a quick free kick, but in this case it was sheer ineptness of the officials.
  • Options
    If you think he was bad you should see the Southampton game . Probably one of the most inept performances I have seen from a ref in years. He gave a pen when the foul was yard and a half outside the box .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think its cheating.anymore than a quick free kick, but in this case it was sheer ineptness of the officials.
    Spot on.
    The ref turned his back on play, no wonder he couldn't make the decision
  • Options
    Although not cheating, refs shouldn't allow it unless the ball is taken from one side of the line and it moves to the other side because the first time a defender spots it happening and gets to the ball first you can bet your bottom dollar the 'corner taker' will claim he didn't touch the ball and the ref will give the defender a yellow card...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Although not cheating, refs shouldn't allow it unless the ball is taken from one side of the line and it moves to the other side because the first time a defender spots it happening and gets to the ball first you can bet your bottom dollar the 'corner taker' will claim he didn't touch the ball and the ref will give the defender a yellow card...

i'm sure wagstaff or stephens tried to do this in the NWQ corner this or last season and the defender was on it and it was just a bodged corner for us
  • Options
    They tried to do it but made a horlicks of it.
  • Options
    Fair play for Robinson for getting up straight away.
  • Options
    Fair play for Robinson for getting up straight away.
    he wanted to jump for joy as well.