Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Linux anyone?

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Fed up with Windows 7 Starter on my little Netbook. Keeps telling me the wireless card is switched off or not working. Restore function keeps failing so I decided to try a Linux Distro - Pinguy (a Ubuntu/Debian Clone).

I have to say I am pretty impressed with it since the last time a chose a Linux distro to play around. Found all my devices, connects to my wireless network straight away - hasn't dropped connection yet. Pretty easy to install software packages etc. 

Comments

• Options
    Yeah - Ubuntu/clones are very user-friendly. Hardware support is excellent too. Spend a fair bit of time in Linux or Linux-like O/Ses at work - nothing like them for reliability - though they can be very annoying, especially when updating without a good package manager.

Still think XP is aeons better than Windows 7, even though I've been using it as my desktop o/s since pre-release was mandated on me at work. If I want all the stupid eye-candy, slower networking and a borked UI that Windows 7 offers I'd buy a mac!
  • Options
    XP became a really stable OS. Most businesses (well, those with common sense) still have XP as the desktop client OS. Very few upgraded to Vista/Windows 7.
  • Options
    I use ubuntu, it is fantastic for most things, very very fast. J have however had issues with playing DVDs and iTunes does not seem to work on it. Any of you know how to get DVDs to work?
  • Options
    I use ubuntu, it is fantastic for most things, very very fast. J have however had issues with playing DVDs and iTunes does not seem to work on it. Any of you know how to get DVDs to work?
    Try Fluendo DVD Player - it costs about $20. That has worked. Problem is that there are copyright issues with the DVD codecs. There used to be some free ones but none that I can see now unless anyone know differently.
  • Options
    I run Ubantu on my 2nd pc and find it great. Do have some issues regarding the running of certain software but I'm sure most of this could be overcome if I bothered to resolve it.

Another bonus is it takes up a mere fraction of hard drive space and performance than windows does. My main PC has windows 7 which I don't mind, but is only on here as I bought this machine 6 months ago with it pre-installed, otherwise I wouldn't bother and certainly wouldn't shell out for it.