Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Classic computer games

Comments

• edited November 2011

The games have been mentioned but did you know you can play manic miner and its follow up jet set willy on this site and it's flash so you don't have to download anything http://www.darnkitty.com/manic/. Manic Miner was one of those annoying games where you keep playing as you know it is doable but you also die loads of times before you do manage it. I used to be very good at it but took me over 30 goes to complete the first level last night - my 10 year old had a go and took him even longer - he was getting very annoyed but couldn't stop till he did it.lol

Due to a famous bug - jet set willy was actually impossible to complete at the time- although this version is bugless!

• I've had a go at Manic Miner on that site and it's a good free version.

However, and it's good of me to criticize their hard work, I found it fairly difficult as in the original, you could move the little willy fella in mid-jump.
    In my youth I had this perfected to milliseconds to avoid the 'bad' things.
    In this version, once he jumps, you can't change the direction and I think I'm too old and impatient to learn the new jumping rules.
  • I remember 'working' through the night to clock the game on my dear old speccy (which is in my loft somewhere now with microdrive, printer and many games)- when you work out the best route- even that vesion gets easier- I can now do levels 1 to 3 without getting killed.
  • Premier Manager for the Mega Drive in '95, if you got over 102 points you got relegated due to some glitch.
    What a game though. Wycombe Wanderers were the best team to be as you started from the conference. Steve Guppy was awesome in that side.
  • Hope that glitch doesn't apply to League One this season!!!!
  • Just remembered I used to work with a guy who, according to the Sun, was going to be a millionaire before he was 20. He created a game for the Spectrum and got paid a few hundred quid - the Sun imagined he'd be able to do that about once every two hours and came up with their prediction. He got a job with one of the games companies as soon as he left school(!), but he couldn't hack it - everyone else was seriously into drugs - hence the games you remember and love from that period...
  • Hooligans Storm Over Europe - PC.
  • POKEMON! The original was brilliant. So so so addictive
  • Or Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive!

I used to have Sensi soccer on the Amiga. Also Kick off which was very similar. Thought they were the mutts back in the day. How things have moved on............
    Kick Off was made by my best mates Dads' company - (Anirog then ANCO). Was first game to have aftertouch to add swerve to a shot.
    IIRC from the old KO ads, ANCO were based in Dartford, wasnt they?

Or Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive!

I used to have Sensi soccer on the Amiga. Also Kick off which was very similar. Thought they were the mutts back in the day. How things have moved on............
    Kick Off was made by my best mates Dads' company - (Anirog then ANCO). Was first game to have aftertouch to add swerve to a shot.
    Thats right - originally little shop at bottom of West Hill an then to a larger factory on industrial estate by Unwins.
  • My younger brother played Sensible on teh Amiga so often, he worked out how to score an unstoppable shot from the half way line that always bounced over the keeper's head. Was a great game but one of the most frustrating too for that reason!
  • Sponsored links:

• Or Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive!

Get them to do an updated version.  KO2 was the best game ever.
  • edited November 2011
    They did Kick Off 3, which was about the worst football game ever - had a realistic turning circle as one of the features which meant your player ran around the ball - it was abject. Designed by the same person though - Dino Dini so KO 1 and 2 were probably flukes. Same with sensible on the playstation - was a truely terrible game although I think they got some other software team to write it.. 
  • Cheers Muttley, just saw your Brian Clough post - has been nagging me for ages what that game was called
  • They did Kick Off 3, which was about the worst football game ever - had a realistic turning circle as one of the features which meant your player ran around the ball - it was abject. Designed by the same person though - Dino Dini so KO 1 and 2 were probably flukes. Same with sensible on the playstation - was a truely terrible game although I think they got some other software team to write

No, Dino had left Anco by then for Virgin Games. Kick Off 3 was written by Steve Screech, a stripy nigel.
  • That's right - what was the game Dinmo wrote after KO 2 - I remember it being cr*p.
  • That's the one- it was truly awful
  • wow you guys know your stuff. They pretty much went bust after they failed to get Svens World Cup 2002 completed in time, but still had to pay out hefty wedge to Sven for his name, even though game got shelved.
  • I should do, I'm your mate's brother! Yeah, was a catalogue of disasters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ha Ha - how you doing? Didnt know you posted on here.

• The 7th Guest

The 11th Hour

Two brilliant puzzle video games

• Clandestiny
  • Ha Ha - how you doing? Didnt know you posted on here.

Doing good mate. Haven't seen you for ages though, let me know when you're next down at the Valley and we'll grab a pint
  • THE Roland Out Pacman game. Can you kill ofF the evil ghosts Roly, Katy, Tony and Mowgli before they take over?

http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/play/#161,69
  • Just caught up with this thread, skimmed through it and can find no mention of Tekken or it's sequels. Still cherish the memories of sitting round my mates on a Sunday, playing this whilst trying to handle a comedown with Roni Size on the stereo. Good good times.
    Also loved David Robinson Supreme Court on the Megadrive. Was in awe of it when it came out simply because the sound effect of trainers squeaking on the court was, so I remember, so realistic.
  • stonemuse said:

The 7th Guest

The 11th Hour

Just read that there may finally be a 3rd in the series ...The 13th Doll
  • Used to love the old Tycoon games, apart from that I've never been a massive gamer.

I got an Xbox One back in October for FIFA, CoD etc. I hadn't switched it on for about 4 months until yesterday, and ended up downloading Zoo Tycoon - not bad at all. Kept the missus quiet for 5 hours anyway.
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

The 7th Guest

The 11th Hour

Just read that there may finally be a 3rd in the series ...The 13th Doll
    I remember enjoying the 7th guest!