Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Classic computer games

Comments

• Some old ones...

Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the Master System

Kick Off 2 on the Amiga - was hilariously fast, sometimes it was impossible to connect with the ball because you would just sprint like a maniac around it!

Sensible Soccer - was brilliant at the time... used to play it endlessly as a kid.
  • edited November 2011
    Other than hours spent playing the original Kevin Tom's Football Manager and then later the modern Championship (now Football Manager), one of the first games I bought that stick in the memory was Elite, on the BBC, a wireframe 3D experience space trading game which was bloody awesome.

Other notable games, GCSEs and A-Level time was dominated by Kick Off 2 and Sensible Soccer.   I spent hours of University playing Brian Lara's Cricket on the PS1.  The Tony Hawkes skateboarding series started well, peaked with TH 2 but then went down hill after that.  Have more recently enjoyed Forza and CoD on the XBox.  PC gaming has been almost limited to playing FM and Battlefield 2 in recent years.
  • Fallout 3. Just wandering around the wasteland killing stuff.
  • Sensible Soccer on the Amiga and later Sensible World of Soccer on the PC were both amazing. I would contest that, given the relative limitation of the technology of the time, they were the best football games ever - certainly the most fun to play. PES during the PS2 era was brilliant as well. I have to reluctantly admit that FIFA is now better than PES, but I would rather be playing an old version of PES than a new FIFA.

Starting with Championship Manager 2 I spent far far too much time in the decade between 95 and 05 pretending I was Alan Curbishley. FM is still a brilliant game but I find it's too in depth these days for me to devote the time required.

I kind of fell out of love with gaming in general for a while. It started with GTA San Adreas. I loved Vice City but San Adreas was just too much effort, having to keep the character fit and all that bollocks. None the less I bought a PS3 but never seemed to get the time to get properly into a game although I did complete Dragon Age. However, now I'm temporarily a batchelor again I signed up for Onlive and got Assassins Creed Brotherhood for $1. What a bargain, I've been hooked for the last fortnight. First person shooters and the like tend to bore me because the running around  shooting/hacking at stuff gets too repetetive or the constant pissing around sneaking about (e.g. Metal Gear Solid) gets dull and frustrating. Assassins Creed seems to have a nice balance between sneaking about and just having a good hack-fest + some puzzles etc and the story line is good. It also looks amazing.

Something else that has revitalised my enjoyment is buying an XBox 360 style controller to use with my PC, it's so much better designed ergonimically than a PS3 controller.

Some other games that I've got massive enjoyment from:

Grand Prix 2

Street Fighter II (arcade version - me and my mates blew some serious pocket money on the one at the local Laser Quest!)

Earth Worm Jim

Donkey Kong Country

The Monkey Island Games

Gran Turismo 3

Super Mario Bros Wii (great fun on the multiplayer mode)

• Agree with JohnBoyUK - elite was the dogs...
  • Wouldn't call a lot of the above classics, but my list would be...

All Marios on NES & SNES
    Sensible Soccer
    Goldeneye
    DK Country
    Theme Park
    Solar Jetman
    Dizzy
    Zelda
    Megaman
    Micro Machines
    Cannon Fodder
    Monkey Island
    Leisure Suit Larry
    F Zero
    Mario Kart
    Castlevania
    Max Payne

I could go on.

• Agree with JohnBoyUK - elite was the dogs...
    It was - but R-Type was even better
  • @cafcpolo

Micromachines is great shout. Was addicted to it for months.
  • Oh and Resi Evil 4, best Resi game ever. FACT.
  •  the problem with resident evil 4 is that the zombies were to fast. i like having the time to get over the initial shock of the ugly bastard coming towards me. then come up with some witty remark before shooting the mindless abomination right in the face. love it.

• Sponsored links:

• Not forgetting Sam & Max plus Day of the Tentacle!
  • I remember one Christmas period being dominated by Wolfenstein - it was the first of it's kind. After a couple if hours playing it I used to get motion sickness though.

Some good ones already been mentioned - Loved playing Goldeneye with my sons. And some of the soccer games, although I was always rubbish because I didn't put the hours in!

• ZX Spectrum/Commodore 64: Horace Goes Skiing! / BombJack / Tapper / Jet Set Willy / Commando / Saboteur

Mega Drive: Michael Jackson's Moonwalker / ToeJam and Earl / Altered Beast / Castle of Illusion

PS1/2: Tenchu / Driver / Metal Gear Solid / Ico / Rez / Shadow of the Colossus

... then I got a girlfriend!!
  • Sensible Soccer on ST and Amiga was the greatest game ever to play.
  • edited November 2011
    Can't believe no-one's mentioned:

Streets of rage 2 - Mega Drive

• It started with deathchase on the spectrum, then NHL 93 and madden 92 on the megadrive, and a football manager game on the pc, around 97 or 98. I was always halifax - you had to start in div 4 - and they had a player called hanson who was awesome. Nowadays I'm addicted to stickcricket
  • This thread is suppoesed to be about Classic Computer games. You guys are being far too modern. I propose the following:

Manic Miner
    Spy Hunter
    Defender
    Leapfrog
    Pac-Man
    Hungry Horace

and of course:
    Emlyn Hughes International Soccer

• Can't believe no-one's mentioned:

Streets of rage 2 - Mega Drive

Me and my brother used to beat each other up whilst quoting that game. Grand upper!!!
  • Loads of great ones above, not sure if these were mentioned...

Kirbys adventure

Metal gear- nes

Mario kart

Bomberman

Mortal Kombat

Mega man

Metal Slug

Pang

Robocop v terminator

Ghost and ghouls

micky mouse castle of illusion

LMA Manger 2001

• not sure why i needed so many spaces. oh well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Speedball 2:Brutal Deluxe
    Monkey Island (Series)
    Sonic (Series)
    Goldeneye
    Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time (Agree with others that this is the best ever)
    Civilization (Series)
    Age of Empires (Series)
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Quake II

an finally...

Diablo II (Best PC Game, been waiting about a decade for Diablo III apparently the wait will be over in January)
  • Horrace Goes Skiing
  • Paper boy ,
  • Road rash
    Pokemon on the original gameboy
    Sims
    Theme park
    Gran turismo
    Streets of rage
    Grand theft auto

Assassins creed
    Fifa
    Tiger woods
    Madden
    Football manager
    Ssx
    Tony hawk
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare old enough to be a 'classic'?
  • Chuckie Egg never completed but loved that game

Treasure Island

North and South

• California game
  • Grand Prix 2
    Championship Manager 97/98
    Madden 94 on the SNES
    Gran Turismo
    Goldenye on the N64
    Command and Conquer
    FIFA 97 with indoor 6 a side!

Anything after 2000 surely shouldn't be on this list?