Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FireWorks

edited October 2011 in Not Sports Related

Perish the thought that I post something non charlton related, but......

has anyone sussed out the most economical way to buy fireworks? Am not tempted by the hordes at Blackheath, or the crow bar weilding Chavs at Danson.

Anyone?

Comments

• The most economical way is not to buy them at all and watch some over mug burn £50 away in 20 seconds.
  • edited October 2011
    no fun in that, come on thought there were bound to be some similarly minded piros on here
  • Razil there isnt an economical way i'm afraid. If you want a good fireworks display, Leeds Castle is excellent.
  • 20 quid a pop though wasn't it? I'm thinking Morrisons, or maybe even costcos
  • Gravesend's display is usually very good, live music too, and it's free
  • Buy yourself a dog and you'll never buy another firework again. Also you'll see what a selfish person you were for all those years.

Fireworks in private gardens in populated residential areas = Wrong.

Controlled displays in parks/commons etc = Fine

• I must say I think they should be banned other than on non fireworks nights and Diwali is it? for home 'displays'
  • Organised firework display are great. Home displays are a waste of money - disruptive for animals and one of my pet hate.If they all happened on bonfire night or diwalhi but it goes on for weeks
  • Sainsbury's usually do a buy one get one free on boxes of fireworks. I think the biggest box is about 80 quid, so 40 quid for about 15 to 20 mins entertainment if you can convince someone to come round and go halves on the fireworks, but frankly, they're always a big anticlimax.

Alternatively you could take a family of 4 to Leeds castle and spend no more money but get a firework display that is 100x better. Home fireworks are all rubbish unless you spend a fortune on 'professional' fireworks, and whats the point of that when you can watch the same fireworks for a fraction of the price and being set off in a artistic order by someone who knows what they're doing.

If you just enjoy the sensation of making things go bang, buy a bag of ballons and a pin.

• Diwahli? Was that one of Dowie's signings?
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally I've never understood why fireworks are available for purchase by the general public. You should need to apply for some sort of permit, they lays out stick guidelines on amounts/times/dates/etc. There is just no reason why anybody ever needs to be able to walk into a shop and buy fireworks. If you really really want to put on a home display, then popping into your local civic centre to obtain a permit wouldn't be an issue. It would save the country millions in fire service and health care costs at the very least.
  • well i looking forward to a week of hell as my staffy is shit scared of them and scratches all of the doors in the house to buggery with fear.
  • remember not to wear your shell suit on bonfire night
  • Blimey some of you, lighten up.

I am in my 50's and been brought up in an age long before displays were the norm as they are today, when my dad come home from a shift with a box of fireworks under his arm it was as exciting as Christmas.

Its a tradition, we all had pet cats and dogs 50 years ago and its done them no harm and we did not need health & safety rammed down our throats.

Go and buy yourself a big box Razil and enjoy.

• edited October 2011

Blimey some of you, lighten up.

I am in my 50's and been brought up in an age long before displays were the norm as they are today, when my dad come home from a shift with a box of fireworks under his arm it was as exciting as Christmas.

Its a tradition, we all had pet cats and dogs 50 years ago and its done them no harm and we did not need health & safety rammed down our throats.

Go and buy yourself a big box Razil and enjoy.

But they were not the bombs we have today. I know what you are saying and I agree. But in those days you could hardly hear next doors fireworks. It was more about the sight than sound.

Today they are so bloody loud it is ridiculous. It may not do pets long term harm but they sh1te themselves for the 2 weeks that now is the firework window.

There were always displays, even 40 years ago.

Just think about others.

• I remember going round to Crispy's a few years back when the children were alot younger. Crispy snr was lighting the fireworks I was passing them from the
    shed along with a beer, it kept me amused for a while
    as the Mums spent ages trying to light the Sparklers (welding rods) I had passed to them. ; )

• well i looking forward to a week of hell as my staffy is shit scared of them and scratches all of the doors in the house to buggery with fear.
    Same

Same

How does Steve's staff know where you live Rob? ;-)

Used to love them until they left my dog a nervous wreck. Seem to go on for months now not to mention the ceptics who live in my road who attempt to recreate the invasion of Iraq in their garden for about 3 nights every July. Baa humbug.

My boxer used to scratch at the door so he could go outside and watch them and thunder and lightning. But then he was strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone remember the organised displays at the Valley? Think they were done by the Woolwich Round Table?
  • edited October 2011
    No Dave but I remember taking my kids to the displays at Woolwich Stadium which used to be opposite the QE Hospital.
  • Think they moved to the Stadium on the Common after they were at the Valley

• I used to come home from the pub with lipstick on my shirt. That always set the fireworks off at mine...........
  • edited October 2011
    Bailey dont mind fireworks, he'll bark at the first one as it makes him jump but then he'll sit and watch the lightshow out the window.

Edit: they are still a waste of money IMHO.
  • Got two dogs and they will be on edge the whole time. Fireworks should be for events only. Its ok to say live and let live and I would if it was one day a year but it seems to go on the whole month.
  • Think you should pass a test to show some level of intelligence before they sell them to you. Too many idiots that I wouldn't let near a pack of sparklers, let alone fireworks.  :-/

• Swanley always seem to have a good display - lasts around 20 min & its free (esp if you watch it from the station like I and about 50 others )
  • think we got ours for this weekend from tescos, my mate got em. Off to do a balotelli at a house party!