Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil (a) boxing day

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
Hi, I'm assuming there will be big demand for this. Have seen online we will get upto 1750 tickets in the uncovered standing end behind the goal.

Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in?

Anyone else planning to stay over and make a night of it? If so any pubs/bars:club recommendations would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    There will be bigger demand to spend christmas at the in-laws!

I would recommend pubs, bars, clubs outside of yeovil! Seemed like there was bugger all there on my last visit.
  • Options
    I'm guessing the trains in London will be cocked up again on boxing day
  • Options

1750 on Boxing day.  I think someone put an extra 0 on that.

• Options

We've stayed here, http://www.halfwayhouseinn.net/ the last couple of seasons.

Great food, good choice of ales and the landlords own cider :-)

Only a 5 minute cab ride from the ground.

• Options
    can only hope the Club put in place stringent restrictions on the pawtry 1,750 available tickets ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Big demand on boxing day when there are no trains? Taking the pee?

Still pissed off about this one as most of you know I have a friend that runs a great pub nearby.

Will be the last chance to play yeovil as one of us are going up or down.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    away trip, outside a stones throw radius,non new ground, without free travel does not = big demand
  • Options
    Expect to see you zoom down there in your Porsche. Plus one. Make the numbers up. Nice.
  • Options
    If you drive down the A303 on boxing day, will there be any places open to provide a half way decent lunch, including for vegetarians?
  • Options
    Hestons Little Chef on the A30
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will probably go as we will be in Swindon for Christmas Day. Although if the weather is crap may not go, we were at THE Yeovil game
  • Options
    Me too.
    The wettest I have been at a football match in living memory.
  • Options
    How long do people think it would take to drive from somewhere like Eltham?
  • Options
    3 hours approx.  I can do it 2.5 hours but normally allow 3.

But does the traffic generally tend to be bad on boxing day with people visiting family and no trains?

• Options
    3hrs, prob a bit less onBoxing Day
  • Options
    let's hope it stays as a 3pm kick off eh
  • Options
    Just pray that D'urso isn't the ref!
  • Options
    I make 3hrs or a little less about right too. See you there.
  • Options
    to be fair he had a good game at Wycombe the other night
  • Options

I would allow 4 hrs just to be on the safe side.................depending on which you go, the A303 can get a bit sticky around Stonehenge. I suppose you can go M4/M5.

I'm sure I'll be leaving around 10.30 am - a couple of stops on the way & aim to get there for 2ish.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    to be fair he had a good game at Wycombe the other night

I was thinking more of the abortive Southampton game he was meant to be reffing at The Valley last Boxing Day which many of us travelled to in vain.

Even more gutting to travel to somewhere like Yeovil for nowt!

• Options
    I knew I hated D'Urso for some reason, you've just reminded me why Len!
  • Options

Hoping to get to this one as around 3 hrs from east Cornwall

• Options

James, I stayed here last season...

http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv125024d/hotel-pictures/237894_yew-tree-yeovil.aspx

Was a five minute drive from the ground and was perfectly fine. Also had a dartboard and pool table downstairs which is always a bonus in my eyes!

We ate out here as well, was really nice... http://www.mulberrysbistro.co.uk/index.htm

• Options
    I think I'll give it a miss!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    If you want to keep it topical you can stay in Charlton Horethorne.  This place/pub and restaurant is gorgeous.  20 min drive to Yeovil. 

http://www.thekingsarms.co.uk/home

And I can also highly recommend this place but you will probably have trouble getting in as not many rooms and doing a package from xmas.

http://www.thequeensarms.com/

• Options

It's Boxing Day FFS!

What is wrong with people? Pub lunchtime. Back home for cold meat, bubble and squeak and pickles. Fall asleep watching Great Escape/Sound of Music/Oliver!

Who wants to go to bloody football?

• Options

It's Boxing Day FFS!

What is wrong with people? Pub lunchtime. Back home for cold meat, bubble and squeak and pickles. Fall asleep watching Great Escape/Sound of Music/Oliver!

Who wants to go to bloody football?

I hope i detect a hint of sarcasm, the reasons you've given above are why people go to Football!  ;-0
  • Options
    Funny people then.
  • Options

having spent all Christmas Day with 3 screaming kids, and having to put up with visiting parents/grandparents/uncles etc I will be looking forward to getting out of the house and having some quiet time with the clan aboard the Blue Bus.

Also its tradition................ok, so 20/30 yrs ago Boxing Day games meant only a short travel accros London to Palace/Wimbledon/W Spam etc, but nowdays the police like to have it a bit more peaceful. so the West Country it is.

Anyway - the xmas period lasts over a week nowdays  so plenty of time to watch re-runs of The Great Escape etc.

So go-on, get yourself down to Yeovil............it will be fun !!!!!!!