Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Clark....what would you do?

Pretty relevant to us whilst i hope we maintain our stunning progress making it unecessary to glance at those on our tail if Huddersfield were to drop off psychologically it would be an extra boost.

I think if Clarke takes the Leicester job as being touted it would do us a massive favour. I think the other clubs below 2nd are vying to get to that 2nd place at present with 1st a bonus if it goes tits up for us in the coming weeks.

Whilst only speculation if Clarke is offered the gig at Leicester i can see him taking it.

Whilst his ego and sense of loyalty to Hudds may mean he wants to stay and finish what he has started a'la Poyet at Brighton would the very real threat of a third successive failure at promotion be very much on his mind. He may be worried about getting the tin tack in the cut throat world of modern football where his relative achievment there may count for nothing if they arent playing Championship football next term particularly if his relatively large summer spending this year is taking in consideration.

Also opportunities at a biggish, high profile club like leicester with money to spend are rare and whilst only a league above hudds they are light years closer to achieving the holy grail of promotion to the Premiership circus.  Too good an opportunity to pass up as a similar one may never materialise.

All hypothetical at the moment but should he not take it and fail to get hudds promoted he risks being another manager with great potential fading into obscurity. Take the job and he could be fighting for survival in the premiership in a couple of seasons and being hailed as one of the best young English management prospects.

Know what id do if i were him and i hope for our sakes if the foxes come hunting for him then he makes the move.

Comments

• Options
    Perosnally I'd stay where I was but if Leicester are going to double or triple his money....well......................
  • Options
    He will stay with Huddersfield until they their unbeaten run comes to an end, hopefully at The Valley. He will then say he has taken them as far as they can go and he thinks it time to move on
  • Options
    The dilemma for Clark is if he decides to stay and fails to get promotion (again), not only could his position become up for discussion but he'd also lose any chance  of being offered another bigger job for the for-seeable future.

Even if he's not offered the Liecester job, we're now approaching the mad 8 week period when chairmen wiegh up how their managers are doing and look to cut any dead wood before the window opens in january, so there's bound to be more jobs he's linked to. Blackburn certainly spring to mind.
  • Options
    Love him to stay tbh. But aint life a fucking bitch and he will move on to more money and misjudged "better things" and surprise surprise their star striker will follow.
  • Options
    I'd sort out my speech im ... imp ... impedi ..... imp ...... defect.

Or is that just the way he talks?
  • Options
    I would leave Huddersfield and take up a job as a Stephen Hendrie lookalike.
  • Options

It's worth bearing in mind that, when there are two automatic promotion places, it's actually in our interest that the other fancied team does well (apart from when they play us, of course). 

Huddersfield seem to be our main rivals for automatic promotion.  We want them to stay strong and beat all other potential candidates in the challenge for the top two spots.

It's different, of course, when it comes to winning the title.  But we need to concentrate on finishing in the top two first.  Huddersfield (and Lee Clark) can help us do that by taking points off the likes of Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd etc.

• Options
    Good point Dave.
  • Options
    I think the Leicester job is a tough one. There's a fair bit of money floating about but the pressure comes with it and teams will be trying even harder to beat them. I think Clarke would be perfect for them though, and he'd probably introduce a decent spine to the side which is what they've been lacking. He seems like a decent bloke so I'd like to see him take the job and take Leicester up but then staying loyal to Huddersfield would also impress me. Good luck to him either way (but not too much if he stays)
  • Options
    Clarks a weird one, comes across a little arrogant when I've seen him, also has the most pointless unbeaten record in the league. He has spent alot of money at this level and got nowhere with it.... so far.

Reading the Huddersfield forum it seems like they wouldn't be that gutted if he left anyway, which is usually a good indicator that he maybe isn't all that as a manager.

If I was him I'd finish what he's started and get them promoted as I can see Leicester going through 3/4 managers a season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see why their supporters may say that but it does provide a possible stumbling block for them which might not be what you need when you are going for automatic promotion. We just need to concerntrate on ourselves- As Sir Chris has said- its the 2 points per game we need to keep up - everybody who averages that gets promoted.
  • Options
    If offered the job he'll go, end of.
  • Options

still not clear what Clark has achieved to warrent this move.  

and I wonder if it was Powell, a former City coach, who was favourite so many would be suggesting he make the move

• Options
    Slightly off subject but I see Eddie Howe has denied interest in the Portsmouth job and told Burnley fans he is 100% committed to them .. wonder what Bournemouth fans think of that
  • Options
    A chance for him to have Kevin Keegan as his director of football. The next 48 hours is going to be key.
  • Options

still not clear what Clark has achieved to warrent this move.  

and I wonder if it was Powell, a former City coach, who was favourite so many would be suggesting he make the move

Powell is a different tin of salmon. He's still cutting his teeth as still in the very infant stages of his career.  I would lose all respect for the great man personally if he left Charlton now for Leicester  as he's only been in the job ten minutes and we stuck by him after the horror show at the end of last season and backed him with the money and freedom to build his own squad.

Yes i know thats hypocritical as had the results continued the way they ended last year i think wed all have accepted his fate and wished him good luck elsewhere as gutting as that would have been. 

I think we have as much potential as Leicester, he is Mr Charlton whereas Lee Clarke has no real ties with Huddersfield.

Lots of hypocrisy and flawed logic in what im saying but thats football!   If CP was in Clarkes position ie in a few years and felt it was time to move on then id be a lot less sour but for him to go now would be abysmal and i very much doubt (and hope) it would be  in his nature to do that.

• Options
    Slightly off subject but I see Eddie Howe has denied interest in the Portsmouth job and told Burnley fans he is 100% committed to them .. wonder what Bournemouth fans think of that

Lol Im going down the bookies.
  • Options
    If Clark goes, he'll take Terry McDermott with him.
  • Options
    A chance for him to have Kevin Keegan as his director of football. The next 48 hours is going to be key.
    Keegan has categorically denied it - which means its probably true ;-)
  • Options
    I cannot see the CP would go back to Leicester any time soon. He's learning his trade. He is a Charlton hero, he's doing a fantastic job at present and our club is one with plenty of ambition so why not get there with CP at the helm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I cannot see the CP would go back to Leicester any time soon. He's learning his trade. He is a Charlton hero, he's doing a fantastic job at present and our club is one with plenty of ambition so why not get there with CP at the helm.
    I agree but you could say the same about Clark and Huddersfield
  • Options
    I agree but you could say the same about Clark and Huddersfield
    Yes indeed - can't see Clark going myself. My gut feeling is that neither he nor CP are a high profile enough name for the new owners. We'll soon find out though.
  • Options

The difference is that Powell has a decade of history with Charton and they are "his club" whereas Clark has only ever been Huddersfield manager, he has no such deep ties with the club itself.

Therefore, Clark can leave pretty easily whereas Powell would be trashing his entire history with CAFC as he would never be forgiven for jumping ship now.

My bet for Leicester? I just wonder if this might be the job that tempts Alan Shearer back into management.

• Options
    Amazing that on a poll on FoxesTalk CP has more votes than Curbs as their preferred choice! They seem to have their hearts set on Martin O'Neil though.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Can't see the attraction in O'Neill myself. Good coach but a bit flakey and would walk out after a bit like he always does.
  • Options

Now this is a proper would ya?

It's a no from me.

• Options

It's worth bearing in mind that, when there are two automatic promotion places, it's actually in our interest that the other fancied team does well (apart from when they play us, of course). 

Huddersfield seem to be our main rivals for automatic promotion.  We want them to stay strong and beat all other potential candidates in the challenge for the top two spots.

It's different, of course, when it comes to winning the title.  But we need to concentrate on finishing in the top two first.  Huddersfield (and Lee Clark) can help us do that by taking points off the likes of Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd etc.

From a purely selfish point of view Dave,I only see uddersfield getting between me and the 200 odd quid i stand to win if we win this bloody league.

Really don't see any other competition.You could say the two from Sheffield,but for me they are like we were for the past couple of seasons.Win a few.Lose a few.......

No.I want Clarkey out!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeh.  Go on Lee, you know it's the only guaranteed way you'll get to manage a championship club with realistic ambitions of the premiership...you must be tired after 3 years of nearly getting there, go on, you owe it to yourself, you've earned it.
  • Options
    If offered, he has to go. he would be backed financially which seems to be the only way these days. Also he could leave without a defeat, and become a popular quiz question. If he goes, lets hope all Rhodes lead to Leicester. 
  • Options

It's a tough choice to make, but generally I would not go to clubs like Coventry, Forrest, and Leicester.  When they do have backing, usually the previous managers pissed it up the wall.  I understand Malkay Mckay going to Cardiff, although it looks a similar situation, Cardiff have somehow managed to stay in contention irregardless to damocles like debt and Makay had turned a lot of profit for Watford with little more for him to do.  Leicester have spent money, but how much do they now have?  The main reason why he shouldn't go is because Huddersfield have massively backed him, and honestly he's under-achieved never looking like he'd get anywhere near auto promotion until this year.  I can not see many directors giving Clark a chance a few years ago, for him to abuse that trust would to me put him straight into a McGhee folder.