Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Hughes - Last Two Games

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
I have to confess of all CP's signings this one was one I thought was iffy, I was underwhelmed by his appearances in the Carling Cup and JPT, but the past two games have turned me completely, He has impressed me with his attitude, the way he happily fills in for the back four when they go forward, and allowing Hollands the freedom to get forward and play that sublime pass for BWP's second goal at Wycombe, his lob to put Wiggins away for the first goal Tuesday was excellent, a good bit of business and an obstacle for Dale Stephens now.

Comments

• Options
    Having seen the last two games, but only the Bournemouth opener before that, I can't say whether he has strengthened the midfield or not, but he is clearly influential, solid and one of those players who is in the right place at the right time. Despite some mistakes at Wycombe in the second half, he didn't go missing and, in my view, contributed to the team remaining solid as Wycombe came back into the game. A good acquisition by Powell.
  • Options

With the likes of Solly and Wiggins getting forward he just drops into their positions and helps us keep our defensive shape, he plays the game in a simple manner, have to say Wiggins and Jackson are combining well on the left, look at how many goals are coming as result of that combination.

• Options
    A squad is all about balance, it seems to me that the overall perception... (now)... is that Hughes adds to that balance. This can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    I thought he was appalling in the JPT against Brentford at fullback.
    When he played at the last home game in midfield I thought he was MOM.
    Agree with the comments RE his defensive capabilities, but surprisingly
     against Carlisle he was making very good attacking runs, Green could have put him through
     at one point put played the longer ball to Kermit. He has a great engine and with games should stay the distance.
    Also Stephens seems to have lost the form he had at the start of the season, so I see Hughes in the team at Hartlepool
  • Options
    Havent yet seen him play but it sounds like he's the type of player that McOxo was sposed to be.  Pleased with the depth in the squad; struggle to pick who should be in the 16 now whereas last season I didnt want to pick some of our first 11!
  • Options

Having seen every min of him in a Charlton shirt, still not acceptable overall performance, whether thats a match fitness issue or not is debatable. If he continues like he did against Carlise and first half v Wycome for the 4 or 5 more games then he will move from un acceptable to 'a good squad player'. Which is what he was brought here to be, a model pro and 'a good squad player'.

That said I do like his commitment and find it quite inspirational that even when he's been on the bench and he's warming up, he always stands on the line cheering and encouraging the team on. Model pro who will always give 100% (this can't disguise the fact he's just not looked good enough though, overall this season to be in the first team 11)

• Options
    Thought he was awful in the cup games but was mightily impressed when he played against Carlisle on Saturday in the midfield role rather than the back four. With Green on instead of Waggy, there is a problem that Green doesn't always get back to cover when Solly goes forward. Hughes took that fear away by covering the runs forward well. His engine is mighty and I always thought when he was on the bench he was running greater distances than the guys on the pitch. I think CP has found the right position for him and whilst Green is preferred to Waggy I would like to see him hold his starting position.
  • Options
    Stick by my Wycombe post match views 'Hughes was the weakest link and didn't seem to want to put his foot on
    the ball treating it like a red hot potato however he never hid and it
    was his left footed ball over the top which put in Wiggins to cross for
    the first goal'. Although not relevant to this thread he was poor in the JPT and League Cup v Preston but had a good game against Carlisle after an iffy opening 10 minutes. The jury is still out for me but I can't fault him for his enthusiasm and desire. Hopefully if he plays more regularly he will become more comfortable on the ball.
  • Options
    I thought he was very poor against wycombe in the second half, bring back Stephens when he's available.
  • Options
    thought he played a blinder on sat ,his attitude was exemplary,if i was his manager id be very pleased with his contribution ....the ball winning ,closing down midfielder is his best position it seems ...hes the new Kish or our water carrier  .With green and jacko in the team perhaps stevens with Holland is a bit of a luxury .people have remarked about Hughes that "he didnt go missing" ,well stevens is a different player ,he obviously is more creative but aguably with the other 3 in that midfield 4 we have enough there to set up things .

he looks like a good honest pro to me ...i can see him playing a lot more this year  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Euell/Alonso/Pritchard can all do a job in midfield as well. Nice to have options, Hughes was brought in to be our utility player and I can't fault his commitment, always the last one out warming up even when he isn't on the bench.

• Options
    When we lead by a single goal and there is 10 minutes or so remaining, take off a striker and bring on Hughes with a free role as an extra defender.

• Options

i like hughsey and he has done really well the last 2 games.

now i know stephens was not there sat bcuz of his child being born... but was tuesdays hughes selection instead of stephens by SCP for the same family related reason or becuz SCP preferred hughes?

• Options
    Post match it said Stephens watched from the stands and CP said he had a little knock as well so they didn't risk him.

• Options

He'll prove to be a good squad player - never a star but someone who can slot in one of three maybe four positions. You need a jack of all trades type player in every squad.

• Options
    edited October 2011

How do people feel he compares to Semedo? Taking aside the obvious difference in pay packet, there were two schools of thought on Semedo last season - 1) that he did his job well and was let donw by the inadequacies of his midfield partners or 2) he was too limited and was holding the team back a bit.

It sounds like Hughes has basically taken the 'Semedo Role' in the last couple of games and has shone by doing the dirty work in a better balanced and more creative midfield than we had last season, or would people say he's got more of an all-round game than Jose had?

• Options
    So insipid in the cup games (I still have nightmares over THAT performance against Brentford in the JPT) that I feel even a remotely positive contribution makes fans feel he is now suddenly 'a good squad player'.  This is the nature of human beings; analysis by comparison.

The jury is out and I am greatly looking forward to the return of Dale Stephens, who hopefully has a bright future at this club.
  • Options
    he is 34, he wont be around for long, stephens is the future
  • Options

As good as he was against Carlisle - he reversed it against Wycombe..............he had a chance to stake a place

but he never dominated -- and his control and passing let him down

• Options
    What I like to call a down to earth midfielder who is a good team player. Stephens on the bench for me at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Understand Stephens has been carrying a couple of knocks and Powell sees Hughes' form as a chance to get him right. probably explains why his form dipped a bit of late- good call IMO and Hughes has the shirt and has to have it fairly fought off him.