Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Under 11's

As some off you know, i've mentioned before that my brother plays for Millwall Under 11's and they played Charlton today. Final score 4-1 to Millwall. Should and would off been 10 if it weren't for the goalkeepers who were top draw.

Considering Charlton are an Academy and Millwall are an Centre of Excellance then the standard of young players in that team inparticular is very poor. and this goes through the club as the under 9's were the only team to win against millwall from under 9 - under 15's levels.

The future doesn't look too good, if i'm honest judging on the performance and results today!

PS: Once to watch out for..... Billy Hick (GK) regarding as one of the best in the country, aged 11. Pulled off some absolute top draw saves today.

Comments

• Options

Think you're being a bit harsh.

Most of these players, from both sides, will fall by the wayside but a select few will go on to become pros, just a fact of life.

If Charlton get one or two from each age group we will have done well.

• Options
    They are children - too young to be of any concern as yet. Let the coaches deal with any that have potential as they will recognise this.
  • Options
    Can't take this too seriously. As I mentioned on another thread, I know of a boy who scored 74 goals for Arsenal u11's last year and this year he's playing for Welling Utd because his parents want him to concentrate on his education. Things change...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Wow aren't they only 10 ! , when i was 10 and playing football i was still playing in the sandpits next to the pitch, whilst the game was still on . :) can't really judge at 10/11 year old just yet. Maybe when there 14/15/16 ?
  • Options
    Want him to concentrate on his education at 11?! Poor kid!

I do find the thought of an 11 year pulling off top draw saves amusing. I'll take note of his name.
  • Options
    Boys are scouted from the age of 6 now days and go into development centres. They can't offically sign for pro clubs until under 9 level, but some players get offered pre contact agreements to keep you away from offer clubs. Now days they live the life off a footballer minus the money aspest, they train 3 times a week with matches on sundays and midweek games during half terms etc, they get tracksuits, training kits, bags, flips flops, hats, gloves, sometimes boots and they used 1st class facilities, the best being chelsea which is a different world, each age group have their own pitch and there is a staduim there for 11 aside development games which holds 2000 people. Even if they don't make it the experiance is something that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Honestly; remember the name billy hick!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm not saying that there isn't more we could be doing but that's one of the reasons that Paul Hart has been brought in. 

His job is to make a good Academy even better and I understand that various steps are already under way to improve the reach of the Academy.

I also wouldn't get too hung up about results, especially at U11.  Paul Hart said in the Carlisle programme

"There is a careful balance to be struck between winning and encouraging players to develop and not being scared or making mistakes and experimenting,  At U14 we start to talk about understanding strategies of winning and the older the players get, the greater the priority winning should become".

The real test in the quality of the players reaching the respective first teams.  Shelvey, Jenkinson, McGinty, Elliot, Randolph have all come out of our system into the premier league or SPL in Randy's case. Add to that Solly and Wagstaff.    Who have Millwall produced?

And would Gus Poyet keep his England U16 captain son in our academy if he didn't think it was good place to be.
  • Options

My son has just turned two. He can kick a ball a reasonable distance. Whats the best way to get him 'discovered' so that he can be in an academy by the time he is six?

Being serious, take him to the Charlton toddler football courses (if you live local to them) and then the summer and half term courses.   He'll enjoy it whether he's a talent or not.

Charlton have already picked up a few first teamers this way (Basey, Waggy).
  • Options

They start with the charlton challenge indoor stuff at the age of about 3. As surprising as it may seem, you can tell the good players even at that age. Sean Daly did say that they had an outstanding player at i think it was under 13 level and every club was after him but he was small and wasn't growing as quickly as the others. He was no longer dominating games so they've kept him back a year to look after his confidence until he hasa  growth spurt. The six foot giants who are currently making an impact don't have half the talent and probably won't make it. They are looking after the players like that to ensure the end goal - a pro. Maybe Millwall is less long sighted. Maybe not. Who knows?    

• Options
    1% of the academy players aged between 8 - 16 make it as scholars and then 1% of the scolars make it as professionals. The best players at 10 - 14 probably won't be the best at 16. Sad, but its true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most sports, for obvious reasons, take a very selfish outlook. The LTA, for example, expect kids as young as eight to be coached at least five times a week or else they won't take them seriously. That leaves little scope for any serious involvement in other sports and forces the child/parent to make a decision much earlier than they would, perhaps, otherwise like to.  
  • Options
    Under elevens in academies is pointless - the kids are better served doing something outside of football league clubs - my son was with Spurs academy (Friday evening) but we took him out of there because there were better alternatives more locally- if you care about the coaching rather than the kudos. The academies come into their own when kids are 15ish - that result tells you absolutely nothing about the future of Charlton or Millwall. 
  • Options

My son has just turned two. He can kick a ball a reasonable distance. Whats the best way to get him 'discovered' so that he can be in an academy by the time he is six?

My wife is 20 weeks pregnant, and our little one is kicking quite a lot.  Will I be able to get him/her into the under-0's team?