Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

25 Years Ago Today: A moment in CAFC History

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
If it happened now the media wouldn't stop showing the goal on TV for weeks, the pundits on Match of The Day would be talking about it for ages, newspapers would be investigating if it had ever happened before, Charlton would print special dedicated T-shirts, children would want his name on the back of their shirts etc etc

It only takes a second nine seconds to score a goal.

To think that exactly 25 years ago I was on my way home from that match - incredible!
Jimmy Melrose made the best birthday present ever and I will love him forever.

Comments

• Options
    Missed it as I was walking up the stairs what makes it even more remarkable is that West Ham kicked off.
  • Options
    "What happened there then Alvin?"
  • Options
    i was there,what a game
  • Options
    Still haven't been up in the loft to find that elusive W.Ham video. Moving soon so hopefully.........
  • Options
    Only match I missed that season...gutted. Still got the VCR though. Shame I haven't a video player to play it on :0(
  • Options

Mental in the away end that day.

Missed the goal as well by about 3 seconds.

• Options
    Only match I missed that season...gutted. Still got the VCR though. Shame I haven't a video player to play it on :0(
    For a small fee I can transfer that to DVDVD for you...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    7 years before my time! Anyone feel like finding a youtube link for me :) I'd do it myself but no idea what to search!
  • Options
    7 years before my time! Anyone feel like finding a youtube link for me :) I'd do it myself but no idea what to search!
    A youtube link! lol

I do wonder sometimes how the youth today can even try to imagine life before the internet, mobile phones etc.

• Options
    Great memories. Was there with Guinness and a West Ham mate of ours. We sat along the side with him, near our end. Lasted a couple of minutes before we realised it wasn't the best place to be. Left our mate there and a steward walked us through to away end when we explained why we'd sat there. Just got up to the top of the stairs when Melrose scored and we all went nuts!!

Looking back at the seats we'd left, it was a good job we did! The knuckle scrapers weren't happy at all!! :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For a small fee I can transfer that to DVDVD for you...
    For NO fee, I can transfer it to DVD _and_ post it up on vimeo for the rest of us to see too!
    (Admittedly it may not be as good quality as Saga Lout's effort, but hey, it's worth a try :-) )
  • Options
    vimeo?
  • Options
    Anyone whio missed it on the day shouldn't feel bad as it was also missed by official club photographer Tom Morris. He had to rely on stills taken from a TV screen provided by West Ham which were featured in the following week's programme.

Also John Pearson's last goal for us in that game, very historical indeed.
  • Options

30 years ago today.

This time I'm back with a video clip that I've uploaded onto You Tube:

https://youtu.be/UmJ8jsiSvyk

That game (or that goal even) is the reason i'm a Charlton supporter. My first ever football match and I was there with two West Ham supporting brothers. I didn't even know it had been on TV and that's the first time I've ever seen the video. Cheers JM only thing i've seen on here to raise a smile for what seems like many many months.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Happy memories, sadly we'll not see the likes of those days again not just at Charlton but throughout Football in general which has been well and truly buggered by the governing bodies.

They are happy sit back whilst the destruction of clubs takes place in front of their very eyes by unfit owners :rage: .
  • Options
    And for more goals from Jim Melrose, this was a great day.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_FXlNUHt5A
  • Options
    For some reason I was in the main stand that day and sat two seats behind Nick Berry of Enders/heartbeat fame.
  • Options

Grow up! :wink:
  • Options
    West Ham game you can see a certain Mr Morris behind the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Well remembered mate
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Well remembered mate
    Cheers. It's ingrained on my brain - I must've watched that video thousands of times back in the day.
  • Options
    I was still in the East Ham Working Men's Club. Got in in time to see Walsh's goal though
  • Options

And for more goals from Jim Melrose, this was a great day.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_FXlNUHt5A

Hey that's my video! Spent ages laying sound on those action replays! Still haven't found the West Ham VHS anywhere which is a real shame
  • Options
    This was the very first match I took my eldest son to. He was then 7 and I was 32. He's now 5 years older than I was then and I now have my very own over 60s Oyster card and (sorry @Stig) a diamond B&Q card.

Time and tide wait for no man (he says crying into his beer).
  • Options

Anyone whio missed it on the day shouldn't feel bad as it was also missed by official club photographer Tom Morris. He had to rely on stills taken from a TV screen provided by West Ham which were featured in the following week's programme.

In between those two goals was an absolute classic from Walshie, straight in the top corner. Remember that era like it was yesterday....
  • Options
    SID said:

30 years ago today.

This time I'm back with a video clip that I've uploaded onto You Tube:

https://youtu.be/UmJ8jsiSvyk

That game (or that goal even) is the reason i'm a Charlton supporter. My first ever football match and I was there with two West Ham supporting brothers. I didn't even know it had been on TV and that's the first time I've ever seen the video. Cheers JM only thing i've seen on here to raise a smile for what seems like many many months.
    It wasn't on TV. We bought the West Ham video. My brother was going to chuck it out a few years ago but I shoved them all in a suitcase and brought them safely to my TV shelf.
  • Options

Thanks for the upload @jimmymelrose.
    Look out for the chap (standing next to a copper, bottom left, 36 seconds into the video) rolling up his sleeve to check the time.
    What a gutsy side we had in that era. Yipee i aaay.....

Not joking. I watched the whole match two days ago. You should see some of the tackles we put in. Just check out Andy Peake's at the very end of this clip.
  • Options

In between those two goals was an absolute classic from Walshie, straight in the top corner. Remember that era like it was yesterday....
    And Walshie hit the bar only for it to bounce down on the line. I should have made more of being put clean through at the end too so we could have had 5.