Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pardew: A good manager?

I only saw the second half of the Newcastle v Spurs game, but it was 45 mins of good football and probably produced a fair result. So, has Pardew been misjudged? Or, is he just better with better players? It's easy to argue that Newcastle have had easier games than some sides, but 8 games without defeat is a good start even though they are likely to slip back atfer they have faced the big guns.

Any views? No tirades please!

Comments

• edited October 2011
    He's done well up there with (relatively ) a limited amount of cash , maybe a stronger chairman who doesn't just give him what he wants has stopped him wasting dough
    Maybe he has a decent assistant unlike the non existant one who had nothing to do with the crap that was produced by pardew at the valley
    Ultimately , it's what these managers do at Charlton that matters most to us and we all know some fans were looking to see Curbs fail when he left to give it the told you so but whatever these ex managers go on to achieve it won't change what they done at our club and Pardew failed with us
  • edited October 2011
  • Seems to be going okay for him at the moment but I'll save my judgement until the end of the season. It will also be interesting to see (assuming he's still there) what players he signs next summer.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2011
    Pardew did well at West Ham United at the start and did OK with Charlton - remember the 4-0 defeat of West Ham Utd ? It is early days and he has players who are largely someone elses. He seems to do OK with other managers teams.

The trouble with Pardew's teams come after a year or so. This is when effects of his management style come about. He produces teams who have an inflated sense of their own greatness and abilities as players. The players then think they only have to turn up on the pitch to win and don't work hard enough. West Ham fans will tell you the same and it happened at Charlton.

Players such as Darren Ambrose are another good example of Pardews
    management ability. Warnock like Curbishley played Ambrose breaking from
    right midfield and he immediately scored a lot of goals at Palace.
    Pardew consistently played Ambrose in a central position and it never
    worked. There is always a balance as a manager between your preferred
    style of play and the players (with their strengths and weaknesses) at
    your disposal. Pardew, I don't think did a good job on that level and
    was far too rigid at times.

In addition, Pardew talks a good game and but when things start to go wrong he won't take any responsibility for it. That attitude also rubs off on the players.

Add in 'personnel attachments' at the club with the ego problems, it can't be said that a healthy atmosphere is foistered at the clubs he manages.

It is too early to say whether Pardew has overcome these tendancies.
    When you add in a team of players bought by Pardew and been managed by
    him for any length of time is the real test. It is incredible how he managed to land job after job though, particularly when great managers such as Curbs are not in work.

• edited October 2011
    @vff Ambrose never held down a place with Curbs playing from the right, his best performances for us were from central i.e. Ipswich and warnock played his central at Palace.  Throughout his time with us, apart form a few appearances he never looked like the player we knew he could be and the calls were for him to play from central but he never was given that opportunity
  • Some very interesting points there and a good post, vff. From what you are saying, he is technically a good manager, but his management style is poor. Maybe, in the Premiership, all the players have inflated egos (except for those playing for Sir Alex) so it's more of a level playing field!
  • When the wheels fall off (and they will) I don't expect them to go back on again.

As a manager the worst thing you can do at St James Park is get off to a flying start because the Geordies swiftly raise expectations to unrealistic levels which makes the inevitable disappointment likely to lead to a sacking swiftly.

As Vff says I don't expect AP to be quick to take responsibility when things go wrong. I predict he will have burned some of the chairmans dosh on an expensive under-performer before departing.

If he has changed and I am wrong then fair play to him.
  • Pardew and Dowie were the  main stewards of why  we are in this position today in my opinion?
    Yes it was not there entire fault, very few things in football can be  as  cut and dry as that, and we certainly have not heard the events from Dowie., although it willl need a lot of convincing for me. The manager's become scape goats in  the game, I was not the only one who at the time thought his appointment was a good thing on paper,  What he does, or does not do at another club has little interest to me? My concern is Charlton, not the managers,players, or directors, especially one's that failed Charlton.  

• 75% Dowie's fault, 25% Pardew's fault. Pardew's a pretty good impact manager, and he had a pretty impressive half season with us in the Premiership, considering the demoralised shambles he inherited. However, he can't be trusted with transfer funds, as we know too well - Izale McLeod, Stuart Fleetwood, Dean Sinclair just for starters, and he can't turn it round as soon as things start going wrong, they seem to go from bad to worse pretty rapidly. Obviously alleged relations with his players' spouses doesn't help morale either.

It won't last at Newcastle, and I suspect it will all end in fairly comical fashion.

• Sir Alex Ferguson has always rated Pardew and reckons he will be a future England manager.

I think our downfall cannot be blamed on one person. (i know not the best statement but its simple fact).
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with most of the points on here, as soon as they go on a bad run I fully expect it to continue. Btw did anyone see his interview after the game yesterday? He said "I've always set my teams up to have a go". Hmmm
  • Not as good as people on here thought he was when he came, not as bad as people on here thought he was when he left.

Arrogant, selfish onanist certainly
  • Our spectacular demise was not solely down to Dowie or Pardew. The club were in freefall at every level and although I agree Pardew did nothing for us I think that perhaps in different circumstances he might have done very well. Anyone looking for the villain of the piece in Charltons fall from grace might just as well look for an answer to who was Jack The Ripper.
  •   Arrogant, selfish onanist certainly
    Takes one to know one......
  • Our spectacular demise was not solely down to Dowie or Pardew. The club were in freefall at every level and although I agree Pardew did nothing for us I think that perhaps in different circumstances he might have done very well. Anyone looking for the villain of the piece in Charltons fall from grace might just as well look for an answer to who was Jack The Ripper.
    Good post.
  • As i said, it was mistake after mistake. I will list them but i could go on and on!
  • edited October 2011
    The teams inept performance against Boro in the FA Cup 1/4 final in 2005/6.... Should have won that, got to the final and would have been in Europe whatever the result. LCC would have stayed......
  •   Arrogant, selfish onanist certainly
    Takes one to know one......
    why, whats the point, unnecessary. Childish!
  • ??????

Pardew is a good manager.

No need for this fool to insult him. What does he base his opinion on?

• Cliveg:

Henry does actually have some insights. He's 'close to the club' for want of a better phrase. I think he deserves a little more respect than you showed him there.

vff:

Excellent summary. I must admit that I thought at least one wheel would be wobbling by now, but lets see. 

We should also take into account similar offences by the defendant at Southampton 
  • Sponsored links:

• PragueAddick:

Respect? That's rich. That bloke talks down to and disrespects nearly eveyone on here. Insight? Don't make me laugh.

• Thank goodness Chirpy is back.
  • Back?

I've never been away.....

• PragueAddick:

Respect? That's rich. That bloke talks down to and disrespects nearly eveyone on here. Insight? Don't make me laugh.

Suit yourself. From what I've heard from other people "close to the club", he's right about Pardew, that's who this thread is about, and that's who he was talking about. Whereas you threw a personal insult at him. Aren't you on another thread whining about Charlton supporters having a go at each other?
  • I think you'll find Clive simply threw the same insult back to the poster who had originally insulted Alan Pardew. I can't see what is wrong with that.

What gives him the right to insult a respected professional football manager? Quite a nasty insult too.

• lol.  It was a childish insult... and i think meant as that, a bit of childs play.

What is an onanist?

• lol.  It was a childish insult... and i think meant as that, a bit of childs play.

What is an onanist?

!!!!

What is an onanist?

Someone who is happiest in their own company, with the curtains drawn and a bumper size box of Kleenex to hand.
  • But only Clever Dicks use words like that....