Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• LOL - The Laffs have as much chance of winning the cup as Charlton have of winning the champions' league. Be a good idea for them to try and make the playoffs first...

Another good win for the Pens last night. Geno even had a fight (of sorts). If Crosby gets healthy, they'll win it.
  • Let's go Oilers, Let's go. Could be Edmonton year, Ryan Smyth back, talk of a new arena and maybe the prodigal son Gretzky coming back as owner to take them to a new level. I lived in edmonton for the 2005-06 season and they got to the stanley cup 7th game but lost to the hurricanes, but with some good draft picks this could be there year, Penguins beware tonight!
  • LOL - no chance. The bOilers won't finish DFL this year, but they won't make the playoffs either. Smyth is way past his best (and his best wasn't that great) and although they've added some grit and leadership (Belanger, Sutton, Eager) they don't have enough in the way of talent to win a lot of games. RNH won't make the grade this year - best if he gets sent back to the juniors to build up confidence. Hemsky needs to stay healthy for them to even have a chance of a run at the playoffs - and history suggests he won't. I agree, they've been building up talent nicely, and some of last year's rookies have a lot of potential, but they'll finish tenth or thereabouts.
  • Let's go Oilers, Let's go. Could be Edmonton year, Ryan Smyth back, talk of a new arena and maybe the prodigal son Gretzky coming back as owner to take them to a new level. I lived in edmonton for the 2005-06 season and they got to the stanley cup 7th game but lost to the hurricanes, but with some good draft picks this could be there year, Penguins beware tonight!
    I was on Whyte Ave during that 7th game - that was some experience!!!
  • What are the red wings like this year? Always had a soft spot for them
  • RNH won't make the grade this year - best if he gets sent back to the juniors to build up confidence.
    Seems to have started okay so far. Scored to take it to over time vs the Penguins last week and bagged a hat-trick tonight, albeit in defeat.
    I was on Whyte Ave during that 7th game - that was some experience!!!
    You should have come and said hello!
  • Unlucky for the Oilers last night, losing to the stanley cup finalists from last year. I do think RNH will be an amazing draft pick this season 4 goals in 3 suggest so far he will.
  • Leafs came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 against the Flames last night, 3-0-0. Leroy is going to be eating his words! The boy Kessel is on fire, another lovely finish last night.
  • The mighty Maple Leafs had a great win last night in New York! Came back from 1-0 down to win 4-2 and Phil Kessel didn't even score, the Monster put in a fine performance between the sticks deputising for the injured James Reimer. 6-2-1 for the season so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another great win for the oilers last night and they top the western conference already.....told you so! 6-2-2 for the season so far. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is having a great rookie season so far
  • Pens quietly putting together an extremely impressive start - 8-2-2 after 12 games, during which the best player in the world still hasn't suited up, and former scoring champ Evgeni Malkin has played less than half the games and isn't healthy. Pens stalwarts Dupuis and Letang are having great starts, and having watched more Pens games than I have Addicks (I love the internet!) I think they're looking good for a decent run at the cup this year. Early days of course.
  • COME ON YOUR RIP ROARING GOAL SCORING CANUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Leroy what was the score? Leroy, Leroy what was the score?! :-)

Have to admit I was absolutely bricking it before last night I was convinced the impressive Pens would turn the Mighty Maple Leafs' good start and crush it in an hour! However after coming through 4-3 victors I'm starting to believe we might actually do something this year!
  • Yeah yeah. The Laffs are still crap. No Staal last night for the Pens - that really hurt them. Still kept it really close. You might make even the playoffs this year (now wouldn't that be something?) :o)
  • The Mighty Maple Leafs move top of the NHL tonight! Just need the Pathetic Penguins to choke against San Jose tomorrow now...
  • GO Oilers.

3-0 at the Kings last night to leave us 8-2-2, 6 wins in a row (best since 2002).

• Crosby back - 2 goals, 2 assists in his first game, now had 2 goals and 5 assists in his first three games back. Go Pens!
  • Oilers blowing very hot & cold st the moment, guess that's part and parcel of having a young team.
  • Oilers blowing very hot & cold st the moment, guess that's part and parcel of having a young team.
    When it all comes together its frightening for other teams as chicago and minnesota found out recently, 9-2 we beat the blackhawks 9-2. Let's go Oilers.....Still believe!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
  • The All Star Draft was done last night in true playground fashion with the captains taking turns to pick the players voted in to the game. Maple Leafs representatives Phil Kessel, Joffrey Lulul and Dion Phaneuf were all picked by Zdeno Chara.
    The last pick (last year it was Phil Kessel) Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks was given $20,000 to give to the charity of his choice and a new car! Not bad for a bit of embarrassment!
  • Pens still doing OK without Crosby - Malkin really stepped up in the last couple of weeks and is on an absolute tear. Pens on a six game winning streak after dropping out of the plaoyff picture for a few games during a slump.

ASG is gash, but I'll watch it for the grins (skills contest is more fun)
  • Malkin is on fire.
  • Malkin is on fire.
    I've seen every minute of the Pens last six games - some of the stuff Malkin is doing is outrageous. He had a shift a couple of games back where he absolutely dominated the ice the entire time he was on it - culminating in him waltzing through and assisting on a goal by Neal (who's also having a superb year). Such a shame that it looks like Crosby will never be the player he was (if he ever comes back properly at all) - Malkin and Crosby together with Neal, Staal, Dupuis et al as a supporting cast would have 'dynasty' stamped all over it like the Isles and Oilers of the 80s
  • Did you watch the 24/7 series in the build up to the Winter Classic? I thought it was excellent. Could you imagine Fergie allowing that sort of access in the build up to the FA Cup final? I can't believe they allow the cameras everywhere! The scenes with the referee's inbetween periods were great when they were discussing the hits and reactions from the players etc.

Do you watch the games online then? I've got the Premier Sports package but only get pretty much one Leafs game a week so I'm left with the radio for the others and then the highlights straight after.
  • Did you watch the 24/7 series in the build up to the Winter Classic? I thought it was excellent. Could you imagine Fergie allowing that sort of access in the build up to the FA Cup final? I can't believe they allow the cameras everywhere! The scenes with the referee's inbetween periods were great when they were discussing the hits and reactions from the players etc.

Do you watch the games online then? I've got the Premier Sports package but only get pretty much one Leafs game a week so I'm left with the radio for the others and then the highlights straight after.
    No - but watched last year's 24/7 (as it was the Pens & Craps). Was very good - Boudreau came across as a bit of a likeable berk - 'Gabby' is a good nickname for him! Even though the access was 'unfettered', you could still tell that the media people at the Pens had been all over Crosby - he seemed very stilted and ill-at-ease when on camera, whereas Max, Geno and others were great - very 'natural' with the cameras prying into their every move.

I get everything through a private Pens stream. It's not legal, but there's no other way I could get to see the games - other than signing up to the NHL's season pass, and I made that mistake last year - it's ridiculously unreliable, constantly buffering and not HD most of the time.
  • Lucky, lucky Penguins last night! How the hell we didn't close that out I'll never know! Fleury was the difference, the Leafs did really well to keep Malkin quiet for the majority and the Grabo line looks like it's finally finding last seasons form again. Be interesting to see what happens tonight at the ACC. I said I'd take 2 points from the back to back games, but after last night I think we can make it 3 tonight.

Go Leafs Go!