Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrity So Called Fans

Don't you just hate them?

The likes of David Mellor, Adrian Chiles, Alistar Campbell,Nick Hornby ,Frank Skinner and David "I'm Jewish By the Way" Baddiel etc. All those prunes who have jumped on the post Italia '90+Prem era bandwagon. But surely the worst of the lot must be Stephen Fry. You just know he doesn't really like football. The man is a fraud, always has been, so intelligent isn't he? Yeah of course he is when reading a script.

So today he's at Old Trafford watching his so called "beloved" Norwich City. In the Directors box obviously, not mixing it like that other REAL fan (Yeah right!) Noel Gallagher. So what does Mr Football (Fry) do? Yeah that's right, he falls asleep. In the first bloody half for goodness sake!

Funny how the good old BBC showed him there on MOTD but didn't show him asleep. Dear old auntie wouldn't want to embarass him would they?

Pathetic. Keep the ponces away from football!

Comments

• Options
    Very unfair- Fry has been a Norwich fan for years and loves them. I'm sure he didn't go to the match to be highlighted and he has as much right to go to a match and support his team as anybody else.
  • Options
    I'm between the two on this one.  cliveg, I think you're being a bit harsh, but at the same time I'm almost certain I've heard Stephen Fry say on QI that he doesn't understand why people care about football and that it's a stupid game.
  • Options
    Good old fashioned English cynicism to think that any celebrity would be looking for publicity or relevance rather than being a supporter of a football team.
  • Options
    Er...some poor examples to illustrate your point there. Childs and Skinner have been going all their lives to start with as has Baddiel. Surely Noel is a city fan isn't he too?
  • Options

Nick Hornby made his name by writing a book about being an Arsenal fan and it's set pre 1990, so he's another bad example.

I like Fry but not sure he is a real football fan. 

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Does he have to be a real football fan or pass a select test? There are different degress of support and I hope they are all welcome at the Valley as long as they are not negative.  He supports Norwich and has the right to attend the game without  being called a ponce.
  • Options
    The really suspect one is Danny Baker. To talk like he does about the Spanners you'd think he's been darn the Den every week since he was a toddler. I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe this is very far from being the case. Professional Spanner....?
  • Options
    Not sure if Fry was jumping on the bandwagon that he'd choose Norwich... It's not as though he's suddenly declared support for them now they're in the Premiership. He was quite happy to be known as a Norwich fan when they were in League One.
  • Options

I think David Mellor is the only one on your list who might deserve criticism and thats mainly for being the worse sports presenter (606) ever.

What do you mean "Keep the ponces away from football"? Are you suggesting that Fry can't go to matches because he is gay?

• Options
    How, why and when people (or celebs) follow football teams is up to them really - I don't really care and can't really see how its right to criticise them. Football is watched by a variety of fans, some passionate and some not so passionate. Is the guy (celeb) who goes to occasional games and falls asleep less of a fan than anyone else? Some people have other commitments and others don't. Let's face it, with Premier League clubs charging up to £100 for a non corporate seat, you have to be a celeb to be able to afford to go! As for Danny Baker - I think that he's entitled to talk about Millwall without living at The Den every second of his life since he was an embryo. We have celeb fans, who never attend the Valley - are they now not fans?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stephen Fry is a legend
  • Options
    Wind up post.
  • Options
    Your right Curb_it, reading it again silly for me to fall for it.
  • Options
    Wind up post.
    Yep. Having said that I do find Tim Lovejoy an utter....
  • Options
    Whilst not a fan of Stephen Fry, his intelligence cannot really to questioned Clive. He has a 'proper' degree in English Literature from Cambridge (unlike the current 'degrees') and is an established journalist, writer and director - forgetting his acting ability, I would not say that his professional life has been successful from 'reading a script'. In fact, Clive did you write this post when you got back from the pub?....! :)
  • Options
    He would be in the directors box, he is a Norwich director!
  • Options
    Is he bowie?

Utter nonsense in the original post tho Rodders has a point about lovejoy.
  • Options
    "You calling me a ponce?"

• Options
    edited October 2011

veg dear boy...........I rather like Stephen Fry and just about everything he does on screen and TV.

From the way you talk about him, and indeed seem to know things about him, you obviously know the bloke personaly. It would seem to me that he's quite possibly rebuffed you in some way or another in the past, so I can understand (to an extent that is), your frustration and desire to get back at him from behind your keyboard.

• Options
    Lol soundas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please leave Sir General Hogmanay Melchett alone! Baaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! 

• Options

David Mellor was a Fulham fan...until John Major became PM and coincidentally was a Chelsea fan. Strangely he started cropping up in the Directors Box at Stamford Bridge soon after.

• Options
    Is he bowie?

Utter nonsense in the original post tho Rodders has a point about lovejoy.

Has been for a year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-10968940

• Options
    I really don't care to be honest. If they turn up and watch 'their' team who are we to say no you can't?
  • Options
    Fry supported them since he was a boy so I've no problems with his so called celebrity status - he's already a fan long before becoming famous...
  • Options

He didn't watch, he fell asleep. That was my point but everyone seems to have missed that.

Just to clarify, in my dictionary Ponce does not mean Gay.

• Options

He didn't watch, he fell asleep. That was my point but everyone seems to have missed that.

So what?
    That's pretty much everyone else's point, but you seem to have missed that.
  • Options
    Exactly. And your other point was don't you hate celebrity fans?

I've nearly fallen asleep a few times at football. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.
  • Options
    According to his tweets, he was suffering the after effects of Thursday and Friday evening activities. ;-)

Fair enough if you ask me.
  • Options
    Chelsea have always attracted these sort of individuals. David Mellor is a classic example of the genre ( replete with his Chelsea shirt and pizza eating girlfriend) but nothing has changed. I remember as a kid watching the build up to the 1970 FA Cup final against Leeds on Grandstand and having to put up with an excruciating interview with those couple of old luvvies, Brian Rix and Dicky Attenborough. We'll be having the same discussion on here in another 30 or 40 years (or at least the younger posters will).