Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Request from FourFourTwo magazine: Charlton's Best & Worst foreign players

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
An extract from an e-mail I received from FourFourTwo magazine:

In the next few months we are to do a ‘Foreign players special’ issue, in which we profile the BEST and WORST overseas players (outside of UK and Ireland) to play for every Premier League and Football League club.

As such, we need the opinion of dedicated fans of each team, and that’s where we’d love to hear your views.

--

There are a couple of things to bear in mind, however:

First, it’s the BEST player, not the ‘most popular’. For example, ask a Chelsea fan to name their favourite foreign player, almost all would say Gianfranco Zola. An incredible talent and worthy candidate for best player, no doubt, but an objective observer could consider the 100+ goals scored over seven years by Didier Drogba, leading the line as the club won 10 trophies, and make a pretty strong case for him to be No.1.

Second, it needs to be based solely on that player’s time at YOUR club. So ignore anything they did before or after. With this in mind, time spent at the club should also be taken into account: Jurgen Klinsmann, for example, holds legendary status at Spurs following two successful spells and is rightly considered one of Germany’s all-time top strikers, but he only played 56 games for Tottenham. Ossie Ardiles, in contrast, pulled the strings in their midfield for over a decade.

--

As far as WORST foreign player goes, all we ask here is that they played more than just a game or two – that they were actually given the chance to prove their worth (before failing dramatically). Use 10 games minimum as an approximate guide. So Southampton won’t be able to pick that one-game chancer, Ali Dia (aka “George Weah’s cousin”), for example!

Let me know what you think and I'll send a consensus reply to FourFourTwo ... deadline is Friday 7th October.

Sadly the FourFourTwo constraints rule out Talal El Khalej and Cory Gibbs, but I'm sure that won't stop some great suggestions coming in.

Comments

• Best: Claus Jensen

Worst: Djimi Traore, by a country mile.
  • Best Hans Jepson or Eddie Firmani

Worst:  Moo2
  • Best . Simonsen

Worst. Amdy Faye
  • Best: Jensen

Worst: Amdy Faye
  • Best: Mark kinsella (if we count Ireland as foreign?)

Worst: JFH
  • my first thought was Jensen & Traore (I saw Faye score the match winner down at Pompey and so he gets a reprieve :)

buuuut..... wouldn't Di Canio have to push Jensen hard?

to be fair, Firmani was before my time.....
  • Can't see past Claus except for maybe Mark Fish. He was a central part of the team that established us in the Prem. Worst must be Traore. I feel like he'll be appearing on a number of lists
  • Di Canio was a great player, but I think he was just a little bit past his best by the time he came to us.

Jorge Costa has to be in with a shout.

I immediately think of JFH for worst, but maybe I am biased because there was such a gulf between my expectation and what he actually did.

• Jorge Costa for best maybe?

Definitely Faye or Traore for worst.
  • Best: Stuart Leary or Allan Simmonson
    Worst: Ralph Milne.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2011
    Best - Jorge Costa
    Worst - Djimi Traore
  • Best - Jensen or Costa
    Worst - Pouso
  • Best: Kinsella (or Jensen if Ireland doesnt count)
    Worst: Faye
  • Read the rules, lads.

Pouso only played for 45 mins and Milne and Kinsella probably come under the 'UK and Ireland' heading.
  • Jensen probably the best- was Di Canio/Costa here long enough to count by those rules?

The worst, well where to begin... though Faye and Traore both have very strong cases.
  • Best: Eddie Firmani, Stuart Leary, Radostin Kishishev, Shaun Bartlett

Worst: Yassin Moutouakil, Therry Racon, Jimmy Traore, Amde Faye, Dietmar Bruck

• Best - Stuart Leary. I don't see how we can pick anyone else but our leading league goalscorer of all time.

Worst - Djimi Traore. 11 games and then packed off to Portsmouth. Getting sent off 26 mins into his debut was his highlight at the club.
  • Read the rules, lads.

Pouso only played for 45 mins and Milne and Kinsella probably come under the 'UK and Ireland' heading.
    Also Simonsen didn't play long enough if Spurs fans can't count Klinsman.

Best: Stuart Leary
    Worst: Faye.
  • Ok if i cant have Simonsen then my choices are.

Best : Claus Jenson

Worst: Amdy Faye
  • Best Jorge Costa

Worst Djimi Traore

Jesper Blomqvist only had three games so that would be harsh. And if Irish players were allowed McCormack would be up there.

• Sponsored links:

• So are Irish players allowed.  Wish they'd make the rules clear  : - )

Leary as top scorer is fair enough
  • Easy

Best - How can it be anyone but Eddie Firmani or Stuart Leary?

Worst - Allan Simonsen for what he did to the club's finances. Although Djimi Traore is a legitimate shout.

• El Khaj - worst
    Mendonca - Well he was born in Sunderland and that must be foreign
  • Easy

Best - How can it be anyone but Eddie Firmani or Stuart Leary?

Worst - Allan Simonsen for what he did to the club's finances. Although Djimi Traore is a legitimate shout.

So it was Allan Simonsen's fault we nearly went under. thats a new one!
  • But why exclude the Republic of Ireland?  First, it's overseas;  second, it's a foreign country.  So, Irish players (genuine ones, not Andy Townsend) should be in the list. 

Anyway, Best: Stuart Leary

Worst: Faye

• Best - Mendonca as he almost single-handedly dragged us up to the Premiership that day at Wembley.

Worst - Amdy Faye by a country mile, carrying Neil Redfearn on his back.
  • Best - Mendonca as he almost single-handedly dragged us up to the Premiership that day at Wembley.

Worst - Amdy Faye by a country mile, carrying Neil Redfearn on his back.
    After all, Mendonca is from Sunderland - easily another country! 
  • Whoops missed the Ireland bit. Best has to be jensen then
  • Best: Jensen Worst: Amdy Faye
    Agree 100%!
  • edited September 2011

So it was Allan Simonsen's fault we nearly went under. thats a new one!

Bad wording, I admit - it wasn't his fault, but his wages hardly helped the club at the time.