Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MARK HULYER

Comments

• edited September 2011

Panic Posted on 07/03/2008 15:06
    Do we own the freehold on Sparrows Lane?

Aledgedly Mark Hulyer has made a packet in the US (500m)- I picked up a story in the US some (8??) years back that the Miami Dolphins were going to invite him on the board but he declined saying his only sporting love was Charlton.

This was posted on the Valley Floyd Road Messageboard a few years ago. I had a relative living in USA a while back and he read an interview in a newspaper over there with Mark Hulyer who had sold two internet companies or sites for the figure mentioned above. He was asked because of his sporting background was he going to buy a Sports Franchise in the US and he answered no. I would only be interested in Charlton Athletic in England. Or words to that effect.

Never forgot that I had read the same information that I had been told about him as had told the relative that he was making it up. Then a couple of weeks later I was convinced it was him sitting behind me in the covered end. Did not mention that to anyone at the time as I thought they would think that I had lost the plot.

• Bringing Simmo to Charlton galvanised the club.Unfortunately Simmo was carrying an injury.Hulyer was confident but young and rash.I dont thick he meant to swindle the club.He loved Charlton and I'm not sure now but didn't he take Lennie on?
  • I was born in 1954 and he was in my year at Shooters Hill School.

He got expelled.
  • edited September 2011
    Any chance we could get him along as a guest speaker at some stage? What a great night that would be

I'd think he might make an excellent interviewee for Choice rather than getting a grilling at a public meeting.  That way, we would get to hear his side of the story.  There'd be no risk of him facing someone who might be hostile and if he wanted he could vet all the questions in advance. 

• Born 12th May 1945 makes him 66

Mark Hulyer was 28 years old when he took over Charlton Athletic in June 1982.

Will have to check with Miss R Riley, but that would make him 57 years old.
  • Mark Hulyer is my Dad's cousin. Last we heard was that he was in Australia and had been there for some time. I've never met him myself and I'm not too sure if he is still there.
  • Creditsafe Directors stats state he was born in 1945. If that's wrong, then companies house has him down as 10 years older than he is.
  • He's starting to sound as mysterious as Lord Lucan. Somebody must know what he's up to these day's. If he's Down Under, he can come to our meeting in Brisbane in a couple of weeks!
  • Creditsafe Directors stats state he was born in 1945. If that's wrong, then companies house has him down as 10 years older than he is.
    proves that you shouldn't believe everything you read in such reports
  • Bump.
    Any news on Mark?
  • Sponsored links:

• Mark Hulyer is a pseudonym for Marc Goldberg isn’t it ?
  • Is he local? , someone earlier in this suggested he was in Oz.
  • Ann Bradshaw (nee Payne) always used to tell me he was a lovely guy at Charlton.
  • I would be amazed if his family and friends do not post on here.
    Out of respect to Mark and his family I will not say anymore
  • Used to play Sunday morning football with his brother Bubbsy. The Hulyers love our club.
  • Is he still in the UK Tom?
  • Your dead right blackpool72 . Lot of family and friends on here and well done for not joining in
  • Sponsored links:

• Your dead right blackpool72 . Lot of family and friends on here and well done for not joining in

Cheers
  • He contacted the Museum last year about something. Can't remember the details as it was another trustee.
  • we wont ever see another ex European Footballer if the year play for us ---thanks Mr Hulyer for that----what a player Simo was

Unless we get Kaka
  • At least he tried...Some fans on here have rightly slaughtered RD for not having any football ambition, yet rip this bloke apart for having just that.

Hulyer's biggest problem - His football ambition was bigger than his wallet.

• I bumped in to Mark one night on London Bridge, late 80's I think, we had a chat about a couple of things during that time he was at the helm. I found him to be friendly and up front, he was happy to chat about that time at the club even though it blew up in his face.

My view: If it wasn't for Mark we would have stayed in the clutches of MG. I know we had a close shave after going bust but, it had become a slow death of apathy under MG and at least Mark broke us away from decades of that.

I hope his health improves.
  • we wont ever see another ex European Footballer if the year play for us ---thanks Mr Hulyer for that----what a player Simo was

Unless we get Kaka
    We've had plenty of Kaka these past few years.
  • joeaddick said:

At least he tried...Some fans on here have rightly slaughtered RD for not having any football ambition, yet rip this bloke apart for having just that.

Hulyer's biggest problem - His football ambition was bigger than his wallet.

I think his biggest problem was luck, or more to the point the lack of it. What he tried to do may have worked at a different time or a different club. Up until Mark Hulyer came along we had not signed a player of any note for years and when we did I got the impression that the media of day couldn’t wait for it to unravel and fail. I got to see the best player ever to play for Charlton because of him.
    A few have succeeded and made their clubs take the step up. I remember Micheal knighton trying to buy Man United off the Edwards family for about £7m and him saying how big the club could be. He was laughed at and was unsuccessful at acquiring them but I think he was proved right. Chelsea were rubbish for years and gambled all, lucky for them it paid off.