Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I want to wake up in a city that never...

ScoSco
edited February 2007 in Other Football and Sports
...allows me to do anything, New York! New York!

BBC news

I wonder if you can still smoke over there - a slow death where you pay taxes is obviously more acceptable to the government.

Perhaps if all MP3 player users paid a few dollars of tax a day for the risk to their lives, it'd be okay to do (ala extra airport duty).

Comments

• Options
    I know they have had the smoking ban in pubs & restaurants for a while, was definately in place when I went there a year ago. Surely cyclists are just as guilty of this, cycling with IPOD's on the go ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I know they have had the smoking ban in pubs & restaurants for a while, was definately in place when I went there a year ago. Surely cyclists are just as guilty of this, cycling with IPOD's on the go ?

I ride with my ipod on, and as long as you don't whack the volume up and you can hear the road noise over the music, it's fine
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I cannot be 100% sure but I know drivers of Cars are NOT allowed to do this & will be pulled over by the old bill for doing so, so why cyclists? Just worried about your welfare mate after all your attention cannot be 100% on the road ?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It has to be 100% or you're dead, bit of background music ain't that bad, and it's no worse then trying to catch the eyes of a driver at the lights when he/she is fiddling with the radio, or singing to some shit on Heart. I've got it at a level where I can hear people talking on the pavements, get on the Thames Path past Tower Bridge, I'll turn it up, no road traffic, and the odd pedestrain who is usually worse.
  • Options
    Agree with this 100%, especially regarding people using Blackberries. If I had a quid for everytime someone with a blackberry has walked into me......
  • Options
    or people that stand in the pavement or walk whist trying to text getting in everyones way

stand still and to the side if you can't touchtext!
  • Options
    I'm more worried by people who walk out into roads texting, and it's a lot harder for them to notice a bike then a car, amount of times I've sworn at someone for walking out on a blackberry.
  • Options
    Cyclists aren't exactly in the clear themselves.... nearly been knocked over several times by cyclists running red lights on crossings....
  • Options
    Never run a red light me, mainly cause it means you'll have car drivers aiming for you
  • Options
    I listen to my ipod on the bike, makes you rely more on your eyes, which is a good thing on a bike and to be honest car noise on busy streets isn't much help, and you can hear a lot over the music anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TAking son to school yesterday. Traffic stopped for the lollipop lady as we trooped across. All except the cyclist who tried to weave thru us. Mind you, I've heard car and van drivers shout and toot horns as well. It's a school crossing FFS.
  • Options
    Lets face it, dumb shits are always gonna walk into roads and get knocked down - whether they're using a phone, i=pod or whatever. I think on the whole people can be relied on to make their own decisions on this one.