Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

At least we aint Plymouth..

Just seen the local news down here in Devon. Plymouth players and staff have not been paid since December and the players are now threatening to strike for the next match. Its got so bad that some have had to start considering selling up there property and they can no longer afford the mortgages. Peter Reid headed a meeting last night with the management to find out where season ticket and attendance money for the season has gone, the directors had no answer.....

Comments

• Options
    sucks end of, I thought they had been saved though?
  • Options
    I live in Plymouth, and it ain't going well, the Exeter game sums it up- can't even score a penalty, let alone three!
    BWP leaving was deffo the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    But the wonderful Peter Risdale has saved them.
  • Options
    That's like drowning in a river, when an alligator whispers in your ear "let me help you".
  • Options
    My mate has just been voted onto the supporters trust. Bad timing if you ask me!
  • Options
    That's like drowning in a river, when an alligator whispers in your ear "let me help you".

OK as long as you don't reply "make it snappy"

• Options
    Man United "Net Debt" last year ".....is down to £ 308.5m ".
    So thats okay then.....
  • Options

Fuck not getting paid since December I would have striked ages ago.

• Options
    The sky sports news bit on Plymouth is on now someone needs to do something or that club is toast you can not be allowed to do this
  • Options
    Really sorry for the players and the fans.

I remember when the Japanese takeover was announced a few years ago, I thought "lucky buggers" why couldn't we have new "minted" owners. 

It just shows you that all that glitters is not gold.

I hope that they do get this sorted - it is looking bleak though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2011

there was that program when the plymouth chairman or chief exectutive swapped places with steve sutherland , well they viewed each others jobs

and how much of a roll/role model of a club we were

hmmmmmmmm

• Options
    It's a shame - I feel for their fans.

It sounds like they are in pretty deep shyte.
  • Options
    I live in the Argyle 'catchment area' and many of my mates are Greenies. I feel for them, it could have been us 25 years ago - or even right now, if the takeover hadn't happened when it did.

Shame for their players too - that just isn't fair on them and their families.
  • Options
    How many transfers in/out took place with them this summer.

I imagine they have a pretty slim squad?
  • Options
    As I understood it they were getting some of their money but not all of it

Either way it's a real shame what's happening.

What annoys me most is that a man city, arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man Utd could each "buy" one of their youth team players for£200k and that could sort Plymouth right out.

Surely there's enough money in the top flight to stop this happening
  • Options
    As I understood it they were getting some of their money but not all of it

Either way it's a real shame what's happening.

What annoys me most is that a man city, arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man Utd could each "buy" one of their youth team players for£200k and that could sort Plymouth right out.

Surely there's enough money in the top flight to stop this happening

Premier league is based totally on greed. There is no will to benefit the greater footballing good. I wonder what the total debt owed by all the prem clubs stands at and yet the are still spending monopoly money in buying and paying players. Sickening really.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I was thinking that watching the last hours of deadline day on Sky - it is crazy  and wrong.
  • Options
    At the end of last season wasnt the total prem debt approx 2.2b?
  • Options
    It makes me p*ssed off that the media is turning to the attention of
    Arsenal when most of the clubs would dream to have their success. Yet,
    Plymouth gets nothing at all until today.

I always liked Plymouth, enjoyed our away game last season, decent ground and decent set of supporters.
  • Options
    What bothers me is that the life blood of English football is being sucked out by the greed of the premier league. The distribution of money is nothing short of obscene. Plymouth will not be the last club to reach crisis over the next year or two. Sooner or later a club of Plymouths stature will fold. Tragic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

why are football clubs run so stupidly

it's insane

• Options
    Although it's not their respobsibilty, if any of the players from the top paying clubs in the PL offered to each to give even half of one week's wages, they could save clubs like Plymouth. Would be nice to see them aware of football outside of their own dreamworld, sometimes it feels like the premier league may as well be in la-la land. If Charlton get back to premier league, i'm not quite sure how I feel about paying players (say the likes of Anton Ferdinand or Kieran Richardson) 40 or 50k a week, as unsexy ay league one is, least it's a level playing field for the most part.
  • Options
    I harbour a wish that the bottom falls out of football and ordinary fans finally reject concept of even average prem footballers earning 50k whilst they struggle to pay for their heating bills. Won't happen because we fans are all mugs but I can dream.
  • Options
    Although it's not their respobsibilty, if any of the players from the top paying clubs in the PL offered to each to give even half of one week's wages, they could save clubs like Plymouth. Would be nice to see them aware of football outside of their own dreamworld, sometimes it feels like the premier league may as well be in la-la land. If Charlton get back to premier league, i'm not quite sure how I feel about paying players (say the likes of Anton Ferdinand or Kieran Richardson) 40 or 50k a week, as unsexy ay league one is, least it's a level playing field for the most part.
    Agreed, the money is totally rdiculous now.
  • Options
    Acording to a Plymouth mate
    of mine, it went per-shapped when we was not given the World Cup because
    apparently half of the owners were only interested Plymouth being part
    of the World cup. So they can get some money in their back pockets. The
    way it is going for them they will be in Liquidation pretty soon because of
    dickheads like Ridsdale.
  • Options
    !
    How many transfers in/out took place with them this summer.

I imagine they have a pretty slim squad?

They're having to play a lot of youth team players almost, players that just aren't ready, who are just getting done over every match- the fact they missed all their penalties in the JPT match says it all!
  • Options
    Clubs are never 'toast'. Has anyone else noticed that? Since I've been alive, there has not been one club in the footballing league that has shut its doors and closed down. When was the last time it happened? Has it ever happened?

Worst comes to worst, they go into administration and come out of this with no debt. 

So I find it impossible to buy into this 'poor old x fc' thing.
  • Options
    Still a terrible situation, even if you dont go out of existence though? People not getting paid for 8 or so months just isnt on. Think its a bit more serious than just letting yourself go into admin and getting someone in to sort your debts out
  • Options
    There's a difference between letting yourself go into admin and being taken over and the new owners not paying for the upkeep of the club- let alone investing, as happened with Argyles Chinese contingency.
  • Options
    Clubs are never 'toast'. Has anyone else noticed that? Since I've been alive, there has not been one club in the footballing league that has shut its doors and closed down. When was the last time it happened? Has it ever happened?

Worst comes to worst, they go into administration and come out of this with no debt. 

So I find it impossible to buy into this 'poor old x fc' thing.
    Technically that's right, and it is sickening that clubs are able to abuse the administration system - I'm glad we never went down that route. However - sooner or later, one of them is going to be wound up by the IR - it's not a question of 'if', but 'when'. By all rights, it should have been Portsmouth. They were big enough to make everyone sit up and take notice, were probably the most recognisably poorly-run and had the largest number of moody shysters hanging round them. I reckon Shuffled Wendy were in a very, very bad state last year and were as close as possible to getting wound up - the revenue will want to make an example of someone with a following of note, rather than teams like (no disrespect) Bradford, Darlington or Macclesfield.