Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any Builders/DIY Experts on here?

I Have a Question

Comments

• Not necessarily an expert, but reasonably handy - I'll have a pop at answering if you want....
  • I have blocked up my fireplace, I have been told I have to put in an air block. Does this have to be at the front or can it be at the side where it cannot be seen?
  • You can vent the chimney breast either to the side or front - it's just to prevent any build up of condensation in the chimney itself. Have you capped of the top of the stack or do you still have a chimney pot/cowl?
  • assuming you mean an air brick then I see no reason why it cannot be at the side.
  • The chiney pot/cowl? is still there, bricked up at the front. On this advice i wll put an air brick at the side. Many Thanks.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]You can vent the chimney breast either to the side or front - it's just to prevent any build up of condensation in the chimney itself. Have you capped of the top of the stack or do you still have a chimney pot/cowl?

I'd have a bird guard fitted if you still have a chimney pot. Much better than having a bird fall down that can't get out and you can't get at. Happen to me once in the height of summer. Didn't know it had happened and returned on day to a lounge covered in flies, and I mean literally covered.
  • If you remove the chimney pot and seal up the stack, you will also need a vent in the side of the stack.

Are you putting a gas fire to the front of the chimney breast?
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]You can vent the chimney breast either to the side or front - it's just to prevent any build up of condensation in the chimney itself. Have you capped of the top of the stack or do you still have a chimney pot/cowl?

I'd have a bird guard fitted if you still have a chimney pot. Much better than having a bird fall down that can't get out and you can't get at. Happen to me once in the height of summer. Didn't know it had happened and returned on day to a lounge covered in flies, and I mean literally covered.

Oh Bollocks, too late. I may just leave a brick hole empty and put a cover on it just in case.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]If you remove the chimney pot and seal up the stack, you will also need a vent in the side of the stack.

Are you putting a gas fire to the front of the chimney breast?

No fire at all.
  • try a feeeehh,fish or schnel
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]try a feeeehh,fish or schnel

Good Thinking Browny, When are you going back to the Looney Bin?
  • Who me sir?How very dare you.Are trying to say that im a brick short of a chimney stack
  • [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]Who me sir?How very dare you.Are trying to say that im a brick short of a chimney stack

That is a good one for you!
  • Dont brick it up, people love discovering fireplaces, use board (neatly), then when you flog the place someone can restore it... I think I've been watching too many of them shows.
  • I live in ex coucil flat, it had an old gas heater that the old deer bought with the place in 1960's. Now if it were victorian, the fireplace would be there!
  • He he, they did do nice fireplaces in the 20th century you know..
  • They must of missed my place.
  • put one of those modern flat gas fires in it, they love that..
  • There should be a mens home improvement page on here. How Gay would that be?
  • Sponsored links:

• About as gay as you
  • oy, ladies!
  • [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]About as gay as you

So no facial tonight then, you allways let me down.
  • lol,no facial tonite darling,im washin my hair