Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Cascarino has his "Rodney Marsh/Alan Pardew" moment

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/commentators-holocaust-comment-triggers-outcry-20110829-1jgwy.html

What on earth was Cascarino thinking when he said this?

I suppose this is what happens when a footballer tries to extend his vocabulary just that little bit too far......

Comments

• Options

In other news some Israeli tourists were reportedly upset about the Adolf Hitler exhibit at Madame Tussaud's. Apparently they spotted some people having their photo taken next to the waxwork, nothing too unusual in that except they were giving the Nazi salute.

• Options
    oh dear oh dear.
  • Options
    : "Poor Traore at right back is having a holocaust because he's finding himself against (United winger) Nani, " pretty sure he was at centre half  (Welcomed to be proved wrong)
  • Options

The answer is not much. Apart from being guilty of talking shite for the sake of it and not engaging the grey matter, I really don't see this as anything major. Sure, they should pull him aside and have words and tell him to choose his words more carefully but really think people just love to put on their holier than thou hat and condem anyone and everyone at the first chance they get.

That's what you get when you employ an uneducated footballer, thrust a mic into his hand and put him on live TV.
  • Options
    He is that thick he don't even know he ain't Irish
  • Options

The answer is not much. Apart from being guilty of talking shite for the sake of it and not engaging the grey matter, I really don't see this as anything major. Sure, they should pull him aside and have words and tell him to choose his words more carefully but really think people just love to put on their holier than thou hat and condem anyone and everyone at the first chance they get.

That's what you get when you employ an uneducated footballer, thrust a mic into his hand and put him on live TV.

I understand that this is not the end of the world and that worse things happen etc., but I am just left slack jawed by the fact that Cascarino could have chosen to use about 100 different words to describe Traore's performance....and he used that one!!!

The craziest thing is that its not like (as with Pardew's "he's absolutely raped him" comment last season) that it actually made any kind of even semi-literal sense, how can a player have a "holocaust" of a performance?

For my money the real question is why they bother having these "second hand" commentaries anyway? If people are that interested they'll be watching it live anyway.

• Options
    could've been worse 

he could've said it during the Spurs game
  • Options
    I don't want to say I told you so but these were my observations on Mr Cascarino on 3rd August under the 'worst TV or Radio pundit thread'

'Couldn't see his name on a quick scan of this thread so apologies if
    already mentioned but got to be Tony Cascarino who went to Millwall from
    Cray Wanderers? for a set of tracksuits then onto Chelsea and he sits
    there on SKY pontificating over the likes of Drogba and Torres whose
    boots he wasn't good enough to lace. Still it's better to be a has been
    than a never have been!
    '

On reflection I think it was Crockenhill to Millwall, not so sure about the last observation now though!
  • Options
    I don't want to say I told you so but these were my observations on Mr Cascarino on 3rd August under the 'worst TV or Radio pundit thread'

'Couldn't see his name on a quick scan of this thread so apologies if
    already mentioned but got to be Tony Cascarino who went to Millwall from
    Cray Wanderers? for a set of tracksuits then onto Chelsea and he sits
    there on SKY pontificating over the likes of Drogba and Torres whose
    boots he wasn't good enough to lace. Still it's better to be a has been
    than a never have been!'

On reflection I think it was Crockenhill to Millwall, not so sure about the last observation now though!

It was Crockenhill to Gillingham. He went to Millwall for about 200K in 1987, I think he was their record signing at the time.
  • Options
    Thanks Ormiston you're right re Gillingham, it was the Crockenhill connection that had been bugging me though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was being slaughtered, so "having an Holocaust" is perhaps a correct description.  Some people look to get all insulted and angry over anything.
  • Options
    He was being slaughtered, so "having an Holocaust" is perhaps a correct description.  Some people look to get all insulted and angry over anything.
    Some people?? you calling me SOME PEOPLE?????

I am insulted and angry.............Fact
  • Options
    the thought police are onto it.
  • Options

I suppose this is what happens when a footballer tries to extend his vocabulary just that little bit too far......

In a nutshell!

I do wish people would stop being morally outraged and offended by just about anything; it really is getting quite tedious.  Crap pundit in poor choice of words shocker!
  • Options
    : "Poor Traore at right back is having a holocaust because he's finding himself against (United winger) Nani, " pretty sure he was at centre half  (Welcomed to be proved wrong)
    He was left back and you're welcome  :-)