Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some concerns

Turned into a good day and a v good result.  However, two rather large notes of caution, and one other concern:

Really not impressed with Hamer- he flapped at a lot, did not give defence confidence, and distribution was a hoof down field - did not throw it out at all as far as I can recall.  He may be young, and can improve, but we need a really strong and commanding goalie now for a promotion push.  Don't know if Sullivan is the answer, either.

Really missed BWP.  Waggy ran himself into the ground and couldn't have done anymore, but he is not really a CF - not yet, anyway.

Taylor and Morro were excellent today, but if either had got injured, then Mambo is next in line with Doc injured.  Feels a bit fragile and hoping for the best.

So, if I were Chris, would want to get more cover at striker and CH, and would still try v hard to keep Robbie.

Comments

• hamer is a good keeper full stop! and im sorry but some on here dont like elliot what can you do!! ;-)
  • if hamer is playing as poorly as suggested (in the one league start for us) and hasnt improved after 100 games then he should be jogged on like elliot will be 
    first league start for us and he doesnt have the greatest of times and is flappy reminds me of randolph who had a proper mare with paddy early on for us , one swallow and all that 
    but  elliot as with racon and semedo if they're not considered worth keeping at the right price i can see him being jogged on
    just like them he wont be missed nor will most things associated with the poorest side in our recent history

• Very early days for Hamer, although I did think, watching the Reading game on CAFCPlayer, that he didn't deal with a couple of crosses terribly convincingly. He does sound a good shot stopper though and has already dealt with two or three one-on-ones (something I don't think Elliot has ever been too great at).

Fact is, even with the new investment, while we're in League 1 we ain't going to be able to afford or attract the complete article in any position unless one comes through the youth setup (I think Randolph may have been that - but that's water under the Bridge now). We just have to hope that our players generally have more strenghts and less weaknesses than other team's. Early signs are we do.
  • Admittedly, Hamer looked a bit flappy at times, but some of the saves he made were awesome - I thought he denied them at least 2 almost certain goals; let's give him the time to increase his confidence as I think that he could turn out to be a great keeper for us.

As for his kicking - I see that as a strength, as he can't half punt it......but I agree that he needs to be able to throw it out to set up attacks as well.

Could not agree with you more about the squad strengthening.  We still need another CB, full stop.  As for the forwards situation; despite his commendable efforts yesterday, Waggy isn't the answer IMHO.  We need another pacy poacher type striker for certain; especially if BWP is going to have an injury disrupted season (which could, unfortunately, be the case.....hope not, though).  If Benno leaves, then I would want yet one more striker as well - possibly more of a target man type.

Would be very happy if we sort this out before the end of the transfer window as I would be very confident that we have everything we need to do the business this season.  However, would not be surprised if some of the incomings are in the form of loans and are not sorted out until later in the season.  However, the front man situation is an acute one and needs to be sorted ASAP if BWP is not going to be about for the next few games....
  • Turned into a good day and a v good result.  However, two rather large notes of caution, and one other concern:

Really not impressed with Hamer- he flapped at a lot, did not give defence confidence, and distribution was a hoof down field - did not throw it out at all as far as I can recall.  He may be young, and can improve, but we need a really strong and commanding goalie now for a promotion push.  Don't know if Sullivan is the answer, either.

Really missed BWP.  Waggy ran himself into the ground and couldn't have done anymore, but he is not really a CF - not yet, anyway.

Taylor and Morro were excellent today, but if either had got injured, then Mambo is next in line with Doc injured.  Feels a bit fragile and hoping for the best.

So, if I were Chris, would want to get more cover at striker and CH, and would still try v hard to keep Robbie.

I remember schlepping up to Maine Road for what was Bob Bolder's Charlton debut. After his performance that day had he never played again it would have been too soon. Things worked out well in the end though.

We do need another CB - but we can only sign players who either want to come to Charlton or who are available, there seems to have been a dearth of decent CBs being openly discussed as transfer targets, so I hope that CP et al are biding their time and will get the right player in, rather than making a panic acquisition.

Up front, a shame than Benno picked up an injury mid-week as he would have started yesterday.

• Our striking options are dreadfully threadbare even if Benson stays. I will be concerned if one more doesn't come in. Whole season out of BWP seems to me unlikely. Hayes doesn't to me at least look like a prolific striker but offers a good all round game linking play and scoring a few. Euell is and was never an out and out striker and Benson should he stay would score some goals but lacks any pace and cannot replace BWP. Benson also doesn't create his own chances like BWP. Get in a striker or we could regret it IMHO.
  • DOOM MONGERS ALL OF YOU. ANYONE WOULD HAVE THOUGHT WE WERE BOTTOM OF LEAGUE. HAMER PLAYED WELL AGAINST READING AS DID BENNO. GO AND SUPPORT SOMEONE ELSE.
  • i was surporting hamer crazychair not slagging him off!!!!!!!
  • NOT AIMED AT YOU UIE2
  • is a bit stupid knocking Hamer after one league game, give the bloke a chance. Elliot has had loads of shockers yet in another thread you state you want him to stay.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2011
    @CrazyChair knock the ALLCAPS on the head please.
  • League one players in having weaknesses and not being unbeatable shocker.

Only saw Hamer vs Reading and he looked good enough to me. We have 3 keepers all of similar ability, we should play a different one every week.
  • thankyou crazychair ;-)
  • No problem.
  • Hamer may have been told to kick it long, the fact he did not throw it out as much is not a massive concern after one game. He did not inspire great confidence but again- only one league game and he will improve and get better. He is still getting to know his CBs and after reading the Exeter thread on Hamer, he will imho turn out to a fine GK for us.

The Striker and CB is more of a concern but more so because BWP and Taylor have had their fair share of injuries in the past. Waggy and Doc can do a job but would be nice to strengthen those areas- especially now Benson looks like leaving.

• hamer played with taylor at exeter cafcdan18 ! ;-)
  • Hamer was good against Reading. One top class save from Howard. From what I saw there I'm sure he will be fine.

Powell has shown his hand. Not buying all this time off due to transfer speculation.
  • Hamer was good against reading, however he did flap at some crosses in that game
  • edited August 2011
    Turned into a good day and a v good result.  However, two rather large notes of caution, and one other concern:

Weegie, I have to take issue with you regarding Hamer. He played well against Reading & also against Bury.

He had no chance for Bury's goal & his kicking is miles better than Elliot or Sullivan's. He can kick the entire legth of the pitch. I grant you he didn't throw many / if any out, but when you have a kick as big as his, you're much more of a threat.

He also made an excellent double save in the 2nd half at Bury.

Yes, he missed one cross, but that was all.

He looks bigger and more commanding than Elliot & I'm hopeful he will be the better keeper.

TBH I think you're being extremely harsh because you want Elliot to remain 1st choice, which won't happen as he won't sign a new contract.

• Sponsored links:

• C'mon, we all know Robbie is a Charlton fan, and he can do know wrong 
  • C'mon, we all know Robbie is a Charlton fan, and he can do know wrong 
    Correction, he is a whale with greasy flippers and can do no right. FACT ;)
  • He had no chance for Bury's goal & his kicking is miles better than Elliot or Sullivan's. He can kick the entire legth of the pitch. I grant you he didn't throw many / if any out, but when you have a kick as big as his, you're mutch more of a threat.

I've seen the goal he conceded, and I think he is partially to blame in that he should have directed someone to stand over the ball until the wall was ready and he should have realised that the ball was potentially live so he should have have been aware that an incoming shot was possible. A quick and good bit of thinking by Bury which didn't prove to be too expensive in the context of the match, but It might be that conceding a soft goal like that will have taught him a lesson. I hope next time there's a freekick within goal scoring range that remembers this match and remains alert.
  • Hamer is better than Elliot, he did miss one cross fair enough but i have alot more confidence in him than Elliot, his kicking is much better ,he is quicker on his feet than elliot and talks more to the deffense. He made one fantastic save in the first half making himself big and getting injured as a result, fortunately the Bury player was offside anyway.

• i agree with covered end. elliots distribution is usually pretty poor and we've had it for the last few seasons, so lets not criticise hamers after 1 game!
  • He had no chance for Bury's goal & his kicking is miles better than Elliot or Sullivan's. He can kick the entire legth of the pitch. I grant you he didn't throw many / if any out, but when you have a kick as big as his, you're mutch more of a threat.

I've seen the goal he conceded, and I think he is partially to blame in that he should have directed someone to stand over the ball until the wall was ready and he should have realised that the ball was potentially live so he should have have been aware that an incoming shot was possible. A quick and good bit of thinking by Bury which didn't prove to be too expensive in the context of the match, but It might be that conceding a soft goal like that will have taught him a lesson. I hope next time there's a freekick within goal scoring range that remembers this match and remains alert.

I don't disagree BFR, but directing a player to stand over the ball is "gamesmanship" and could result in a yellow card. It is questionable whether I would call that good goalkeeping, but I take your point. 
  • hamer time!!!!!

I don't disagree BFR, but directing a player to stand over the ball is "gamesmanship" and could result in a yellow card. It is questionable whether I would call that good goalkeeping, but I take your point. 
    in my opinion it should be standard practice for a player to stand in front of the ball, the keeper should not need to direct anyone to do it it should be standard procedure that is given as an instruction at Sparrows not Gigg Lane.
  • Agree with Kap. Not goalkeepers job to instruct a defender to stand over ball. Basic defending and needs to be picked up on. Hamer had no chance.
  • Spot on.  I play Sunday League as a midfielder and would automatically stand over the ball on a free kick, not wait for a keeper (or anyone else for that matter) to tell me.