Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Green

Comments

• I also have an affinity with Lineker. We both know our way around a packet of crisps!
  • Unfortunately, Green is one of those presenters who is confrontational that the BBC seem to think is essential for the current age. Think Savage, Green, Wright.
    To me, they should do away with pundits and just show the action.

In saying that BEIN had SCP and Dwight Yorke as their pundits all of yesterday, and it was refreshing to say the least, even if it did have Keys and Gray too.
  • Back on 5Live tomorrow night. HTF does he waltz back in after going to the US and straight to Wembley for Spurs v Real?
  • Riviera said:

Back on 5Live tomorrow night. HTF does he waltz back in after going to the US and straight to Wembley for Spurs v Real?

Because he is a good commentator.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Back on 5Live tomorrow night. HTF does he waltz back in after going to the US and straight to Wembley for Spurs v Real?

Good commentators tell you what is going in the match. Bad commentators are more interested in their own opinions on the players, the ref, the lino, the managers, the crowd and how many people haven't come back to their seats in corporate areas of major stadia.
    Green doesn't commentate, he opinionates.
    Green will often point out that he is talking about “non” footballing items when the game is poor. However when the game is exciting he is a good commentator.

Take the Liverpool v Man Utd game the other week, the last five meetings between these teams have been bore draws and the last one was no exception.

Green will tell it as it is, not try dress a bad game up into a good one or do a Sky and tell us it’s “Super Sunday” or the Clash of the Titans”
  • Alan Green has been a freelance for about 15 years.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Alan Green has been a freelance for about 15 years.

And your point is?
  • Alan Green does not describe what he sees but the listener can't see.
    He is not a commentator but a failure.
  • Riviera said:

No he isnt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

No he isnt.
    Its all about choice, I could listen to Green all night long over some of the other commentators.
  • Riviera said:

No he isnt.
    Its all about choice, I could listen to Green all night long over some of the other commentators.
    Oh no, he isnt !

Cmon, its Panto season.!
  • Riviera said:

No he isnt.
    Oh no, he isnt !

Cmon, its Panto season.!
    Lol, I nearly responded the first time by saying "oh yes he is"
  • Green announced many months ago that he won't be going to the World Cup - he has had unpleasant experiences in Russia, and doesn't want them again. One of his qualities is that he calls a spade a spade - if England are playing badly, he tells us.
  • Green announced many months ago that he won't be going to the World Cup - he has had unpleasant experiences in Russia, and doesn't want them again. One of his qualities is that he calls a spade a spade - if England are playing badly, he tells us.

??????

It's what he's paid to do.

It's the whingeing about how he's treated I can't stand.
  • edited June 2018

Green announced many months ago that he won't be going to the World Cup - he has had unpleasant experiences in Russia, and doesn't want them again. One of his qualities is that he calls a spade a spade - if England are playing badly, he tells us.

The problem with Alan Green is he'll tell you it's a spade, and a shit spade at that, over and over and over and over again, so that it just sounds like he doesn't like spades.

I equally can't stand commentators and pundits who feel the need to tell us every game is amazing, but there is a balance to be found where you sound like you actually like football without making out like all matches are perfect. Oh, and maintain a sense that football is, overall, supposed to be fun.

I get the majority of my football punditry from podcasts like the Football Ramble and Totally Football show. They are able to give decent honest analysis, whilst still portraying a love for the game and able to have a laugh at its more ridiculous elements. And you will very rarely hear the word 'disgrace' which is all the like of Sutton, Savage, Green etc. and the rest of the its cool to hate football school of punditry seem to want to talk about.
  • Green is supposed to describe the play to listeners who can't see what he can see. Not only doesn't he do that, but he thinks he has some kind of character who has some kind of importance. He is a functionary, and fulfils his function badly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hes still miles better than Tydesley.

And it England win, he'll still come up with something to try and slag them off.

I'll never forget a few years back when we beat Spain 1-0 in a friendly at a time when Spain seemed invincible. The team had to pull every trick from up their sleeve to get the win and defend for their lives, but they got it. Alan Green then goes on 606 to whinge about how England were were not positive enough in their play.

Can't stand him
  • Yes but is he going to be true to his word and not go to Russia???
  • Certainly sounds like he'll be there:

"Chief football correspondent Mike Ingham and commentator Alan Green are once again leading the 5 live commentary with their combined experience of 13 World Cups."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27339354
  • edited June 2018

Certainly sounds like he'll be there:

"Chief football correspondent Mike Ingham and commentator Alan Green are once again leading the 5 live commentary with their combined experience of 13 World Cups."

Not sure where you got that from, Mike Ingham retired years ago. That article is from Brazil 2014!
  • Riviera said:

Not sure where you got that from, Mike Ingham retired years ago. That article is from Brazil 2014!
    Oops, lol
  • edited June 2018
    Riviera said:

ah the good old days! when we still had hope and ambition.
  • Ok, found the right world cup link this time. No Alan Green it seems:

"Former internationals Chris Waddle, Terry Butcher, Dion Dublin, Pat Nevin and Chris Sutton will be adding their expert opinions, with John Murray, Ian Dennis, Conor McNamara, Alistair Bruce-Ball and Vicki Sparks our commentators."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44300273
  • Fingers crossed. I bet he's regretting his stupid outburst now.
  • Being released by the BBC. Said to be "angry and disappointed". Follows Mark Pougatch out the door as he doesn't fit the mould of the modern day BBC commentator/journo/pundit.