Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Green

Comments

• I don't have a problem with Green (or Murray for that matter) - they are entertaining and that is something I want from my football punditry, tbh.

I like Savage for the same reason.  Say what you like about him - it's not dull when he is around.

Jason Roberts has really impressed me with his intelligence and knowledge and hopefully he will get more work with the BBC when he retires.
  • Blimey Lincs.  Who's been blowing on your porridge?
  • I have absolutely nothing against Alan Green, and I quite like Colin Murray.
    I can't stand hearing Jacqui Oatley though; it's not anything that she says particularly, just the tone of her voice.  When it cuts to her commentary on BBC London, it fills me with rage.
  • Don't mind Savage, I can see why he'd get up people's noses but he can take a joke and, while he is opinionated, he is willing to admit if he gets something wrong, Green will just completely deny he ever said it. Colin Murray is a good sports broadcaster imo as he takes a keen interest in a lot of sports and keeps things non-confrontational. Mark Chapman is another good guy in a similar mould. Stephen Nolan is a massive, massive tool.
  • Blimey Lincs.  Who's been blowing on your porridge?
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • edited August 2011
    When I think about it - I quite like opinionated - it provides a bit of passion. I certainly like listening to Robbie Savage and Ian Wright whether I agree or not with what they say.. The problem with Green is that he is opinionated in a snidey sort of way. He'll make his point then throughout the match keep hammering it home when it only needed to be said once or twice at most. Everything that happens in the game miraculously seems to prove his point.

That was my gripe with Davies - he'd latch on to a negative and keep moaning about it even when there wasn't really that much to moan about.
  • can't stand Green, quite like Murray. Much prefer MOTD2 with the likes of Dion Dublin etc but especially Lee Dixon who I think is excellant. Thought Wright and Southgate were crap on ITV last night.
  • Yes agree- I think Wright was trying to get more work so toned himself down a bit.
  • Happy to say I have absolutely no idea who Alan Green is. If you lot don't like him, whoever he is, don't watch whatever stuff he's on. Simples.
  • Nice one Spirit. Great attitude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy to say I have absolutely no idea who Alan Green is. If you lot don't like him, whoever he is, don't watch whatever stuff he's on. Simples.
    bad enough listening to him, wouldn't want to see his face as well !!
  • Sorry if you are having your lunch!
  • When the BBC has exclusive rights to certain matches covered on radio and you use the medium of radio to follow football because it suits your lifestyle switching the radio off because you do not like the commentator is not really an option is it?
  • Sorry if you are having your lunch!
    gahhhhhhhh, that is absolutely hideous, the godzilla of the airwaves
  • When the BBC has exclusive rights to certain matches covered on radio and you use the medium of radio to follow football because it suits your lifestyle switching the radio off because you do not like the commentator is not really an option is it?
    This made me laugh.
  • He's on the bloody telly!
  • edited February 2014
    lol never imagined him to look like that. BBC1
  • Is that a syrup?
  • Certainly a face for radio
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks as though someone's slapped a syrup on a toad.
  • He hasn't appeared on the BBC so far this season, not on 5Live or MOTD. I was hoping he'd been sacked but have discovered he's working for a US TV station covering the MLS and will be back when their season is over. I wonder what the Yanks make of him?
  • Please God they keep him.
    He only wants the big gigs, especially the club he supports, Liverpool. Green is patronising in the extreme to 'smaller' clubs, thinks in ground Tannoy systems should be adjusted to suit him, does not describe the action properly, can't speak clearly, for example always saying 'penalty air', thinks his opinion on the game matters and generally annoys the hell out of me.
    Green signals to other wireless commentators that they are characters or entertainers when in truth they are (or ought to be) skilled functionaries who communicate to the 'blind' what they can see.
    In my view Alan Green is entirely alienating, give me Jonathan Pearce all day long. The BBC should sack him, if they are going to have a non commentating commentator get somebody entertaining and listenable in, like Paul Merton or Ian McKellen, or Carol who does the weather in the mornings.
  • Green doesn't bother me, but that may only be because I have associated his voice with listening to games on the way home from Charlton for so long.

Whoever was co-commentating the Newcastle game for Sly yesterday needs lessons though. He was firmly in the Mark Bright "Why didn't he do that? Why did he do this? Why doesn't he do what I think he should do" kind of whiny commentary. That's the worst kind for my ears.
  • Riviera said:

He hasn't appeared on the BBC so far this season, not on 5Live or MOTD. I was hoping he'd been sacked but have discovered he's working for a US TV station covering the MLS and will be back when their season is over. I wonder what the Yanks make of him?

Surprised the BBC would let him moonlight in the US for so much of the season. Not complaining mind you...
  • Riviera said:

He hasn't appeared on the BBC so far this season, not on 5Live or MOTD. I was hoping he'd been sacked but have discovered he's working for a US TV station covering the MLS and will be back when their season is over. I wonder what the Yanks make of him?

Surprised the BBC would let him moonlight in the US for so much of the season. Not complaining mind you...
    Probably not moonlighting, he's probably a freelancer like most of these guys. Linker does BBC but also does BT euro coverage.
  • I listen to Green on 5 Live and don't mind him at all. He calls a spade a spade, and when the football is poor doesn't try to dress it up.

Some months ago he told the BBC he won't be available for the World Cup in Russia. Apparently he's had unpleasant experiences in the country, and simply doesn't want to return.
  • Kap10 said:

Riviera said:

Probably not moonlighting, he's probably a freelancer like most of these guys. Linker does BBC but also does BT euro coverage.
    Lineker's BT work doesn't interfere with his MOTD duties though.

Bit of a risk for Green, after several months without him, his ego will be even more of a shock when he returns...

• Unfortunately, Green is one of those presenters who is confrontational that the BBC seem to think is essential for the current age. Think Savage, Green, Wright.
    To me, they should do away with pundits and just show the action.