Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Francis

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
Okay, This is the part where I really upset a majority of you lot and I'm prepared for all the accusations of being a WUM and questioning my parenthood.

Right, here goes (deep breath)................................................I thought Simon Francis was absolutely superb tonight. There, I've said it (can't believe it myself)

Ready for your ridiculing now..................

Comments

• Options
    I thought it was his best game for the club...still needs some improvement defensively, but on the whole he had a good game.
  • Options
    I agree that he totally did his best to make him seem like a different player. He was good. I wouldn't say superb. 
  • Options

Completely agree, was sitting there thinking he may have a role to play this season if of course he is still here come September 1st.

Solly is deservedly first choice but if he gets injured or loses form then Francis has shown he can step in and do a job.

• Options
    No ridiculing from me. He had a few problems at first but grew into the game. He, Green and Wagstaff made some great stuff later on, and it really was a peach of a cross for Eull's goal.
  • Options
    was that him who crossed for euells goals , i just see on sky ... whoever it was wrapped their foot around the ball properly
  • Options
    He was one of our best players tonight. Has a massive point to prove to us and his manager. I thought he was brilliant. People were still slating him though. The old boy behind me was having a right go at him for their goal. Didn't understand why. Francis was brilliant today. Linked well with Green.
  • Options
    It's what we want, competition all over the team. Pretty much everyone staked a claim to play on Saturday tbh
  • Options
    Just watched Francis put in a quality cross for Euelly on Sky Sports , thought it was Wagstaff in real time, well played Simon!
  • Options
    Just watched Francis put in a quality cross for Euelly on Sky Sports , thought it was Wagstaff in real time, well played Simon!
    Wagstaff laid the ball off to Francis who whipped the ball into Euell. Quality play from both Waggy and Francis!
  • Options
    Thought he was the best I had seen him for some time tonight. It certainly is good to know that should Solly get injured or lose form that we have both Francis and Hughes battling for that RB slot. Healthy competition for places breeds better players. Just look at Waggy so far this season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was non de plus about him but my bro in law though Hughsey had a mare in midfield tonight.
  • Options
    Ihjave been banging on - with a few others that there is a good player there for some time. I dont deny he made some poor errors last season but he showed me he has the assets required too. It annoys me that people make their minds up without considering potential and possibilities then when they have write the player off. Looking at the scores tonight, someone gave him a 6 -laughable and proves my point. There isn't much between Solley and Francis in my opinion except Francis has the physical assets to be a top championship full back, Solley has to work 3 times as hard to overcome this disadvantage..
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think he's gone past the point of reconciliation for a lot of fans. No matter how well he performs for us, they'll always be a bit of "meh".

Personally, I think the criticism is unwarranted and he contributed as much to poor performances as any other player last year.
  • Options
    Okay, This is the part where I really upset a majority of you lot and I'm prepared for all the accusations of being a WUM and questioning my parenthood.

Right, here goes (deep breath)................................................I thought Simon Francis was absolutely superb tonight. There, I've said it (can't believe it myself)

Ready for your ridiculing now..................

This this this this this!

And to be honest i'd always have him over Solly. Had he done what solly did last minute on Saturday he would have been ripped apart on here.
  • Options
    Francis was SUPERB tonight - no question about it.
  • Options
    To be honest, I'm shocked we haven't had a load of posters gloss over the assist, the countless tackles, the minutes upon minutes of involvement in decent passing play and the useful upper body strength and focus on the two or three times he lost possession in the final third.

I mean, why break the habit of a life time.....
  • Options
    Fair play to him, he had a point to prove and he certainly proved it.
  • Options
    Yes he lost possession a couple of times- thought some would focus on that too -one person said he had usual comedy moments in player marks!!!!!!! A couple of sublime crosses including the one for Jason's goal. He was in an average team last season - we will be cutting off our noses to spite our faces if we don't wipe the slate clean and give him a chance to show what he can do in a better team and defence.
  • Options
    I was terrified pre-game as I didn't think it was a back line strong enough to support Francis. There are many defenders on many levels who play well when protected by a good leader or overall team confidence/strength.

Thankfully though Mambo was the beast we all knew he could be tonight, and barring Brian Howard's first half burst into the box, Doherty's timing and focus were razor-sharp. Things like this going our way are all a fragile but able (at this level) player Franny needs.

His best performances last season (which some'll have us believe didn't happen, period) came on the back of assured team performances. That's what Parky wanted him for and it's what Powell is beginning to see.
  • Options
    . He was in an average team last season -

I think you're being generous with average............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Below average , but loving the changes this season!
  • Options
    He was very good this evening and if performing at that level would be an asset to us in this division. He needs to be consistent however and with that he will become more confident and composed which at present he demonstrates too infrequently. Good to have him at his best and challenging Mr. Reliable Solly, it can only be better for our chances of success having two capable but very different types of right back. He should be encouraged as well as Solly and not compared as they are so different and both have more pros than cons. 
  • Options
    Great to hear him getting some credit. Solly is first choice on merit right now, but if Frank can find some consistency and if he has an understanding with Green then we could have a potent supply-line down our right hand side.
  • Options
    Don't you think it also throws up some questions regarding Hughes? He was obviously brought in as a RB primarily as it looked like francis was going and Hughes got the No2 shirt. We've not yet seen him in a RB role..................
  • Options

Probaby has realised that if he wants to play in the first team here, he's really going to have to step it up. Love a bit of competition!

On a side note, can someone tell me what they though of Bover?

• Options
    On a side note, can someone tell me what they though of Bover?

Thought he tried a bit too hard in the 1st half but settled into the game. A good debut but not ready for 1st team quite yet, although if called upon won't let himself or the team down. Was unlucky to hit the woodwork in the 2nd half. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop into a real asset to the team.
  • Options
    Don't you think it also throws up some questions regarding Hughes? He was obviously brought in as a RB primarily as it looked like francis was going and Hughes got the No2 shirt. We've not yet seen him in a RB role..................
    That's squad football. I think Hughes will be useful as he's versatile (therefore a good option on a 5 man bench) and he's experienced. Both Hughes and Frank got a chance to impress in what is apparentl each's preferred position and it sounds like Frank made the biggest impression. It's up to Hughes to show he's the better player next time he gets a chance.
  • Options
    Wasnt there tonight, saw him most home games last season and if he's a footballer than I could play alongside Messi for Barca.
    Behave you lot !
  • Options
    Wasnt there tonight, saw him most home games last season and if he's a footballer than I could play alongside Messi for Barca.
    Behave you lot !
    Then maybe your not entitled to that sarcasm unless you actually watched him tonight. let me tell you , he was immense.
  • Options
    Behave you lot !
    Then maybe your not entitled to that sarcasm unless you actually watched him tonight. let me tell you , he was immense.
    Is that right mate, he has one good game and everyones wetting themselves, yet I've read the reports and people said he still made some silly errors, its those errors that cost you games when you are a defender, he had a whole season of shite games last season, I'm not naive enough to think that one good game a footballer makes, but obviously you are. Why do you think Powell wants to sell him?