Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red Arrows

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
A red Arrow has crashed at Bournemouth airshow today, hope the pilot got out ok!

Comments

• Options
    He died unfortunately. RIP
  • Options
    Oh no, RIP Mr Pilot

I remember seeing them at Brighton one year and I'm pretty sure there was a crash there soon after but the pilot ejected and was ok
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    R.I.P. Flt Lt Jon Egging

Very sad. Was a veteran of Afghanistan. You can see from the video that he stayed in the plane deliberately to crash land away from people. 
  • Options
    Ah man, poor guy. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. 
    Afgan and then this. 
    RIP.
  • Options
    We are down here they were superb absolutely amazing truly gutted that one of those that were doing that has passed away heard he had survived

Rip

You were truly.amazing
  • Options

Terrible news for the town and a tragedy for his family and friends. It's shocking to all of us down here that just minutes after watching him and his colleagues performing another fantastic show yesterday a young man has lost his life. Mr brother-in-law was at the airport and he crashed after they had put on an extra little show for those watching there. Something they didn't have to do but wanted to to show their appreciation for the support of those working and watching at the airport by all accounts, which speaks volumes. 

The air show is going on again and that is probably what he would have wanted given the nature of these guys (and a woman these days) but to be honest my heart isn't in it today and it just doesn't seem the right thing to do in light of what's happened.

My wife and I will be signing the book of condolence to express our sadness at the families loss and it has certainly put everyone's moans and groans about losing a two goals lead yesterday into sharp perspective for me.

RIP.

• Options
    RIP, terrible turn of events.
  • Options
    So sad.  Always been a fan of the arrows.
  • Options
    When I was young always saw them flying over margate or broadstairs ,this weekend I was in bournemouth and what a treat they put on for everyone , they were a marvel to watch ,it was one of the most spectacular displays of bravery and skill I have ever seen , to think that one of those pilots has died in another act of bravery because he did all he could to avoid civilian loss sums them up totally.

• Options
    Only seen them the once, at one of the Goodwood car festivals. Fantastic to watch, with supreme flying skills and perfect timing. Very sorry to hear of this tragedy which has robbed the Service of a brave young man. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple of years ago  - I was driving up the A1 to visit a client in Lincolnshire where they are based and saw them practicing.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    The memorial to Jon Egging was unveiled yesterday in a relatively low key ceremony at his fmailies wishes. Looks really good and I happened to be passing at the moment his colleagues performed a fly past in his honour. His wife and family have been amazing in the aftermath and seem determined that some good comes of his sad death and have set up a trust in his name to help young people achieve their dreams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-19398268

• Options
    Red Arrow crashes at RAF base in Wales.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-43476222
  • Options
    clive said:
    Seems the pilots escaped, hope they are ok. I live on the flight path for planes going to trooping the colour, always love seeing the red arrows fly over my house (when I'm not watching in London that is!)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Listening to the report on the radio earlier it was the same type of aircraft as the Red Arrows use, not one of their jets. Obviously either news source could be wrong.
  • Options
    Saw them this year at Biggin Hill. Simply superb. Let's hope both crew are OK.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Listening to the report on the radio earlier it was the same type of aircraft as the Red Arrows use, not one of their jets. Obviously either news source could be wrong.

RAF Valley is where prospective fast jet pilots go following Basic Flying Training to become qualified fast jet pilots. Once (and if) they 'graduate' from there, they go to an 'Operational Conversion Unit' to fly the Typhoon etc.

The fast jet they train on at RAF Valley is the Hawk T2, the same aircraft type as used by the Red Arrows. However, the Hawks used at RAF Valley are distinctively black in colour. The photos of today's crash site show red wreckage. Almost certainly a Red Arrows aircraft.
  • Options
    Sad. I hope no one was hurt.
  • Options
    I do hope all are safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there's a golf course nearby that the jump jets use to practise. I was playing golf there some years ago with the sheep strolling around and the smell of jet fumes. Not the best course in the world but I did enjoy Anglesea.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Saw them this year at Biggin Hill. Simply superb. Let's hope both crew are OK.

Biggin Hill tickets on sale from 1st April for this years show I believe.
  • Options
    clive said:
    An engineer has died. RIP
  • Options
    Appears pilot ejected, flight engineer did not. So sad.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Appears pilot ejected, flight engineer did not. So sad.

Engineer was 41 year old Corporal Bayliss from Dartford.