Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

computer help

edited August 2011 in Root

just had a phone call from someone claiming to be from windows security department saying my computer has been infected. he started to ask me to turn my computer on (it already was) and go through certain tasks. i didn't do any of it. just told him i hadn't the time at the moment.

the computer has been a little slow recently but i've had no warnings from ad-aware or avg (cue leroy advising they are s**t). so is he himself trying to somehow get into my computer or is it plausible that he is from the so called windows security department.

anyone replying, could you explain in a way 5 year old  would understand as that is about my level of 'puter know how.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a scam to get you to purchase some unnecessary software.
  • Options
    Sounds like a scam to get you to purchase some unnecessary software.
    Very very true

Chance call to get you log on to a dodgy site
  • Options
    Well-known scam. Ignore it
  • Options
    I've had two of these calls recently. It's a scam.
  • Options
    I get them all the time. I just hang up. The callers usually sound Asian. 
  • Options
    My wife had similar call a week or two ago. Its a scam - simples
  • Options
    My wife had one of these calls last week, she was worried it was a scam.
    I tried to explain to to her that, no, a big-hearted company like microsoft would be ringing individuals to sort out the problems with the slow connection on their apple mac!
  • Options
    Think you're wrong wickford. I got a call yesterday from Bill Gates himself. As we are now friends, he will give me discounts on a huge range of software in exchange for all my personal information and bank details.

Really. Some of you guys are so untrusting!
  • Options
    Tango has a point you know.  I spoke to a lovely lad from Lagos who is going to send me oodles of dosh and he is willing to do all the work!!!  Just sent him my bank details and this time next week I'll  be richer than those Scots people who won the Eurolottery.  And I already have a neck so no outlay there.
  • Options
    A little Help Please:
    How do I activate/switch On my Bluetooth setting on a Acer Extensa 5230E ?
    Thank You.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too true Oggy. Too true.
  • Options

• Options
    edited August 2011
    A little Help Please:
    How do I activate/switch On my Bluetooth setting on a Acer Extensa 5230E ?
    Thank You.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Extensa-5230E-Notebook.22096.0.html

Looking at the review above, it would appear that even though the Extensa 5230E has a bluetooth hardware swtich on the front, bluetooth capabilities are not included in all models.

Are you certain that your 5230E is bluetooth capable?
  • Options
    DV, Its got a "Bluetooth" light and a "switch" beneath it.
  • Options
    That is a SCAM. Google it many results from forums will come up. Finally happened to me the o ther week. I went along with it then just hung up when i got bored.
  • Options
    Got "Norton Security Scan" keep popping up: Is it real or a "Virus" ?
  • Options
    Do you have Norton installed? If you don't then it most certainly is... if you do have Norton installed I'd Google it quickly just to be sure.
  • Options
    Erm....Don't know: Pretty sure I don't, as never seen norton mentioned before. I truly don't understand computers, but will google it now. 
    Thank You BRE.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Got "Norton Security Scan" keep popping up: Is it real or a "Virus" ?

I get that all the time & I'm not with Norton. I just click on stop scan & close it. I thought it was just their way of trying to worry you into purchasing their anti virus stuff. I wouldn't call it a virus, but then what do I know.