Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fan travel from Essex

edited August 2011 in Root
Sure this has been asked before but wondered if any of you travel up from darkest essex for games?

Comments

• Options
    I come from Leigh on Sea. I know their are a few that way on here.
  • Options
    I come from Copford, which is just outside Colchester and a few come from here.
  • Options

Trying a new route this season, normally go out to charlton from London Bridge but going West Ham to North Greenwich and up from there, hoping it will save some time. Will be in liberal club from midday....

• Options
    I always use this route, when the Jubilee line is running, and it's no
    problem as it's frequent and fast.  When you get to North Greenwich
    there are 3 bus routes to choose from, all of which takes you close to
    the Lib.  Going back is more problematic.  Only one goes past the Lib,
    so you will be better off going down the hill from there and across the
    lights as you then have the choice of 2 buses.  I usually go the the
    Rose of Denmark which has only one route passing, but the beer is better
    as is the beer garden, so  afterwards I take the  first bus west to the
    Tunnel fly-over, short walk to Sainsbury's and get the first bus from
    there as they all go to North Greenwich.

There are also decent toilets at North Greenwich, which are, sadly in short supply elsewhere.
  • Options
    I always use this route, when the Jubilee line is running, and it's no
    problem as it's frequent and fast.  When you get to North Greenwich
    there are 3 bus routes to choose from, all of which takes you close to
    the Lib.
    The 3 busses are the 161, 486 and 472.
    The 161 goes past the RoD, and the other two go along Bugsby's Way to the Antigallican. The 486 then goes straight across and past the lib i think but not sure about match days.
    There are also decent toilets at North Greenwich, which are, sadly in short supply elsewhere.
    Good point well made :)
  • Options
    i come down from harlow every game  takes about an hour and 20 door to door for me.
  • Options
    From Canvey Island.

Train:
    Benfleet -> West Ham
    West Ham -> London Bridge
    LB -> Charlton

Drive:
    Saddlers Farm -> Blackwall Tunnel -> Charlton

40mins on a good day in car
  • Options
    An alternative I used to take sometimes is to go to West Ham or Barking on a C2C. Tube to Bromley by Bow.  Then a 108 bus to Greenwich, near the flyover with an easy walk to the Rose of Denmark.

Also used to change at West Ham sometimes and get the Silverlink to North Woolwich.  That one's been shut for a while now, but I believe you can get the DLR to Woolwich now. 
  • Options
    Braintree here.

A120, M11, Blackwall Tunnel

When it's good it's a piece of cake. When it's bad I've been known to miss kick off
  • Options

Chelmsford.

Usually A12/M25/A2 and then return via Erith to the Dartford Crossing.   But the Dartford Crossing is a hopeless mess on Summer saturdays from lunchtime, so today it will be the Blackwall Tunnel.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I come in from Shoeburyness,past Southend, its an hour up to Fenchurch St or and 20 odd mins out of london bridge but trying the west ham, north greenwich and bus route. Got that first day of the season buzz now.
  • Options

I come in from Southend.

A127/whatever the road is that crosses to the A13 at Orset/A13/Blackwall Tunnel(/ Rotherhithe Tunnel when Blackwall is closed at last minute/ Tower Bridge when Rotherhithe is closed as well).

Get to the ground an hour before kick off on a good day, Turn around and go home at half time still on the A13 on a bad day.

Not got a Season Ticket at the moment, the toxic atmosphere just wore me down now I pick and choose about 10 games a year. I'll be there today though hoping that the supporters outnumber the Fanatics (Fans?) for a change and give the new team at least a chance.

• Options
    A13 Blackwall for me.
  • Options
    well the west ham to north greenwhich route wins hands down. gives me at least hlf hour extra drinking time. few bournemouth fans milling abt the o2 so I wonder if m25 has eased. good luck to those driving.
  • Options
    Upminster to The Valley can be 45 minutes via West Ham & Nth Greenwich. Don't need to go into expensive zone 1 so cheaper. This season though am trying as many different routes as possible. Today via Tilbury, boat to Gravesend and train to The Valley. COYR!
  • Options
    when southend airport opens properly will fly into city airport and cab it from there. will go big spuds a la bernie ecclestone!
  • Options
    Chelmsford too - a12 m25 a2 then park on Eastbourne avenue. There are probably better places but has become habit. On weekdays I go to stratford, north Greenwich then bus it
  • Options
    Upminster to The Valley can be 45 minutes via West Ham & Nth Greenwich. Don't need to go into expensive zone 1 so cheaper. This season though am trying as many different routes as possible. Today via Tilbury, boat to Gravesend and train to The Valley. COYR!
    I've always fancied going by the Tilbury route.  Please let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    And no, that isn't a euphemism ;-)
  • Options
    New DLR service from Stratford to Woolwich via West Ham is not running yet. Should be open in the Autumn.

486 diverts via Woolwich during and after matches
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only problem with the Tilbury boat route is I end up drinking too much 'waiting' for boats and trains. Today the C2C and Jubilee line running well. Will get to O2 in 25 minutes & probably watch the early game there.
  • Options
    A13 Blackwall for me.

Same for us from the same location.  Think we know of at least 3 familys of Charlton supporters in Wickford.  I'm still terrible at recognising the fella that sees me regularly in the morning on the station.  Sorry mate I'm a zombie first thing, just about manage to get to a seat and kip for a bit.
  • Options
    Towie
  • Options

Canvey to Basildon (pick up the mob) and then on to The Valley by car.

Saw another Charlton supporter on the A13 yesterday (around Tilbury) at about 12.30 small black car on his own, anyone on here?