Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chess.com

Comments

• Options
    Group 1 is near completion with the outright winner being AddicksAddict(QBCQBC). The only undecided matter is whether I qualify on my own in second place or tied with Leuth. The state of the outstanding games strongly suggests the latter.

Group 2 is a close contest between the top 3. The rate of play by one player (and he has every right to play at that rate) means that it could be months before it is complete. However, as the tournament director I have decided that the final group shall consist of the top 3 from each group as it stands now and that the next round will start early next week.

Outanding games in the two groups should proceed as the players involved so wish.

A new rule will apply to future CL tournaments run by myself. This rule is as follows; the moment a single player is involved in all remaining games and the number of those remaining games is 3 or more all the remaining games will be declared drawn.

Does this seem reasonable and fair to everyone?
  • Options

Group 1 is near completion with the outright winner being AddicksAddict(QBCQBC). The only undecided matter is whether I qualify on my own in second place or tied with Leuth. The state of the outstanding games strongly suggests the latter.

Group 2 is a close contest between the top 3. The rate of play by one player (and he has every right to play at that rate) means that it could be months before it is complete. However, as the tournament director I have decided that the final group shall consist of the top 3 from each group as it stands now and that the next round will start early next week.

Outanding games in the two groups should proceed as the players involved so wish.

A new rule will apply to future CL tournaments run by myself. This rule is as follows; the moment a single player is involved in all remaining games and the number of those remaining games is 3 or more all the remaining games will be declared drawn.

I think that is fair, I am enjoying this tournament, good games against good players
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2017
    Just noticed the thread. I'll play. Is there a CL competition? @Red_in_SE8
  • Options

I think that is fair, I am enjoying this tournament, good games against good players
    You clearly haven't been watching me.

Despite the defeats and it's not all over yet, i've enjoyed it too.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Tried a game of speed chess the other day. Used to be decent at it but got routinely smashed and it's far more stressful so won't be venturing into that world again. Definitely need a bit of time to think these days.

Edit. I say speed chess but mean live chess where you can't take back a move after placing it. Do I not like that.
  • Options
    I grew up playing chess on a chess board.
    The rule was if you touched a piece you had to move it, and as for taking a move back, that is surely not allowed in any format is it?
    Part of the game is tempo, and if your opponent is lured into being too hasty then too bad.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I grew up playing chess on a chess board.
    The rule was if you touched a piece you had to move it, and as for taking a move back, that is surely not allowed in any format is it?
    Part of the game is tempo, and if your opponent is lured into being too hasty then too bad.

I guess it's not so much that you get to take a move back, as your opponent never sees it, just you're allowed to move the pieces on the board (only one, not a sequence) until you're happy with your choice.
    Going from that to live chess felt odd as a couple of times I forgot that I didn't have that luxury and the move was made.
  • Options
    Enjoying the games as I haven't played serious chess for a couple of years now.

Like most games/sports you get rusty but there are some good players in the 'group of death'.
  • Options
    all you group-of-deathers clearly haven't ever played AA
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Leuth said:

what's AA, Alcoholics Anonymous?

Surely you'd be too pished to play!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Only if one of the players isn't obviously winning, otherwise it's an incentive to keep playing on slowly in a lost position.
  • Options

Leuth said:

what's AA, Alcoholics Anonymous?

Surely you'd be too pished to play!

I think he means me.
  • Options
    I know, I was only joshing.
  • Options
    vff said:

The current competition is about to start the final round with 6 players. But I was thinking I could start a second tournament at the same time, open to anyone not involved in this final group. We could consider the new tournament as League 2 with the winners being promoted to replace the bottom player in the Premiership 6.

If anyone is interested in joining this League 2, which will start early next week, indicate so here along with your Chess.com username.
  • Options
    I certainly am the_real_idle

God knows I need the practice
  • Options

vff said:

The current competition is about to start the final round with 6 players. But I was thinking I could start a second tournament at the same time, open to anyone not involved in this final group. We could consider the new tournament as League 2 with the winners being promoted to replace the bottom player in the Premiership 6.

If anyone is interested in joining this League 2, which will start early next week, indicate so here along with your Chess.com username.
    Not you Leroy!
  • Options

vff said:

Not you Leroy!
    You can go straight into the following Premiership round if you want to play?
  • Options
    I watched a film once where a Joe Bloggs type took on two grand masters playing as white in one game and black in the other then just mirrored their moves and drew both games.
  • Options
    Group 1 all finished now (Red is facing mate in one but hasn't resigned, curiously) - how's group 2 getting on?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I certainly am the_real_idle

God knows I need the practice

Anyone who wants to play a non-tournament game, just send me a challenge, I'm QBCQBC on chess.com.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    MrOneLung said:

I watched a film once where a Joe Bloggs type took on two grand masters playing as white in one game and black in the other then just mirrored their moves and drew both games.

Two people tried that in real life in a simul being given by a GM. Once he'd spotted what they were doing, he played a very bad move in one of the games, so bad that the guy in the other game wouldn't copy it. Once he'd broken the mirroring, he went on to win both games.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Group 1 all finished now (Red is facing mate in one but hasn't resigned, curiously) - how's group 2 getting on?

The fact I have not yet looked to see what his last move was might have something to do with it.
  • Options

Leuth said:

The fact I have not yet looked to see what his last move was might have something to do with it.
    You didn't spot the mate in 2? ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

You didn't spot the mate in 2? ;)
    No.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Leuth and AddictsAdict please ignore the new games that have been automatically started by Chess.com now that our group has finished.
  • Options
    I will start a new tournament inviting the top 3 from the other group as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    This is the final group standings for group 1

Not sure I can post link on here to final standings for the two groups without infringing players privacy on Chess.com

• Options
    Can you make it 1 day per move? That seems enough for most.
  • Options
    When you publish the group 2 table, can you put me down as "triallist"?
  • Options

This is the final group standings for group 1

Not sure I can post link on here to final standings for the two groups without infringing players privacy on Chess.com.

Not sure I can bear the humiliation:(