Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great Films that not many people have seen

edited August 2011 in Not Sports Related

Just watching NARC with fat Ray Liotta and got me thinking not many people would have seen this film not particually well known it was the first film we studied in film studies.

Anyone else got any particually good unknown films?

Comments

• Anyone remember when Ray Liotta came onto the pitch before Spurs away a few years back? Bizarre moment.
  • He came on the pitch?!!? When?
  • Good topic. Anyone seen French gangster film Mesrine? Though it was excellent, if long (two DVDs), even though not normally a fan of gangster flicks.
  • 'Where does it Hurt' .. peter sellers
  • Good topic. Anyone seen French gangster film Mesrine? Though it was excellent, if long (two DVDs), even though not normally a fan of gangster flicks.

Superb films.

La Haine is another good un.

Prefontaine....about the life of the legendary distance runner of the same name.  There are 2 films about him and im not sure if this is the one or its the other called "Without Limits"

• Bunny and the Bull.

Surreal roadtrip by the director of The Mighty Boosh. Worth watching just for Julian Barratt's portrayal of a dog loving, eastern european tramp.

Superb films.

La Haine is another good un.

Prefontaine....about the life of the legendary distance runner of the same name.  There are 2 films about him and im not sure if this is the one or its the other called "Without Limits"

Funny Enough Messerine is on my stack of DVD's to Watch (near the top so looking forward to that one.

La Haine was the 2nd film i studied and one of my all time favirotes. Vinz Casell in both great actor.

• edited August 2011
    Restrepo: film/docu following a squad of US soldiers on a 18 month tour in one of the toughest parts of Afganistan. 
    Was up for a oscar last year for best documentory

this needs to be watched

Trailer..

• Derailed is also a good one to pick up in the HMV sale

Clive Owen, Rachael Aniston and Vinz Casell great thriller

• I'll never forget whatisname.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tampopo, about a japanese woman´s quest to creat the perfect noodle soup. 
  • Restrepo: film/docu following a squad of US soldiers on a 18 month tour in one of the toughest parts of Afganistan. 
    Was up for a oscar last year for best documentory

this needs to be watched

Trailer..

If you didn't know Tim Hetherington who shot/directed that film was killed while covering the Libyan war.

• The colour purple great film .
  • stander is another good film.
  • jean de florette and manon des sources. two great films.
  • Lantana also Liotta was excellent.
  • Man bites dog
  • 'Primer', if you like Sci Fi. 'Brick', if you like off-beat comedy-drama.
  • The Duellist.

I was a bit underwhelemed by Restrepo, brilliantly shot, undoubtebly emotional at times, but the narrative is Junger's the guy's a bit hyperbolic on emotion and masculinity rather than nuance and a bigger picture.  Junger does some interesting things, but scratch the surface and he doesn't bring much focus.  Restrepo well worth watching, for me not a patch on The Anderson Patrol.
  • Ne le Dis a Personne - enjoyed that very much, good pace and mystery thriller.
  • Sponsored links:

• Of course City Of God is probbably one of the best world cinema films ever made but think prob 80% of people have seen that
  • Run Lola Run - German film, Lola, played by Franka Potente before she naffed off to Hollywood, has 20 mins to get 100,000 Deutschmarks to her BF who has managed to mislay some money owed to his crime boss.
  • Killing Dad: Richard E Grant tries to drown Denholm Elliot off Southend pier.
  • Bottle rocket is a cracking film, the life aquatic with Steve zizou. Dirty deeds Australian gangster film set in the 60's is FANTASTIC!!! Bryan brown, the guy from avatar and Jon goodman star in it.
  • bumped into paddy constantine today at a meeting - reminded me that dead man's shoes should be added to this list. menacing

• bumped into paddy constantine today at a meeting - reminded me that dead man's shoes should be added to this list. menacing

One of my favourite films and my favourite actor.
  • Innocent Blood with Anne Parillaud and Anthony LaPaglia is brilliant but only available in this country as a US import for some bizarre reason.  Also Badlands with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek. Domestically the Long Good Friday showed that Bob Hoskins really can act (sometimes).
  • Whilst maybe not a gem, Martin Sheen reminds me of one of the best accidental comedy judges ever seen on.... Dead Presidents.  A time when he was coming out of a period of piss poor TV movies and shit films.
  • Parents - a tale of everyday cannibalism.
    Eraserhead - B&W David Lynch weirdness.

Got it for my birthday a little bt back and watched it over a couple of nights. You simply cannot go wrong with Cassel.

My favourite Woody Allen film is 'Take the Money and Run' which no one else ever seems to have seen. The scene when he plays the cello in a marching band still has me in stitches. Why can't he make good filsm any more???