Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dont get to eat out in nice places much at the moment but went on a works dinner to Dishoom in Shoreditch. Just the sort of Indian food I like, not smothered in gunky sauces. Spicy lamb chops and gunpowder spuds. All of it was flipping gorgeous. Worth a visit.
  • Options
    Oh yeah I went there a few weeks back as well , bit different innit but very good .
  • Options
    Anyone in Kent can check out the insideKENT Magazine Restaurant guide www.insidekentmagazine.co.uk/restaurantguide
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Dont get to eat out in nice places much at the moment but went on a works dinner to Dishoom in Shoreditch. Just the sort of Indian food I like, not smothered in gunky sauces. Spicy lamb chops and gunpowder spuds. All of it was flipping gorgeous. Worth a visit.

Gunpowder spuds? Is that your pet name for Ian?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Dishoom is just outstanding Curb It - just round the corner from me in Shoreditch - this place is brimming with good places to eat with new places opening up seemingly daily but that serves really top notch Indian food.

• Options
    Dishoom looks superb. One in Coventry Garden too, which is closer to my work. Will have to try it out. Cheers B.
  • Options
    went to The Angel at Addington Green on Saturday. Nice pub, good food, worth a visit if in that area.
  • Options
    Yes do Tel, as Matt agrees above, well worth it.

very good Mehmet.
  • Options
    Anyone know what's happened to Villa Moura in Lee Green? Went passed the other day and it looks like it's closed down. Bit surprised as it's been there for ages and always seemed to be reasonably busy.

Service went down the pan a couple of years ago but I went in after Christmas and they had a new menu and, tarted up the frontage and seemed to be back on track. Would be a shame to lose Jorge Costa's favourite local restaurant.
  • Options
    Had a bite to eat in the new Mexican a bit down from Mcdonalds in Eltham, decent food, better than the one in Blackheath and not as pricey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised a few belgian restaurants haven't opened up to keep our new regime happy
  • Options

Surprised a few belgian restaurants haven't opened up to keep our new regime happy

You will find Belgo all over London.....Moules and frites..yum
  • Options
    Sportsman in Seasalter. Yum.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

+1 for Dishoom at Shoreditch, its the nuts. Have been a good few times now.

The Lamb Raan is absolutely to die for. The Lamb Raan Bun is a good option, as is the Lamb Biriyani. Get some of the House Black Daal to eat with your Naan bread.
  • Options
    Ate at a great little Korean restaurent in Tottenham Cour Road last week, it's called Po Cha, traditional Korean food and very good value, went with a few mates after work, one of my my mates is asian oriental and his cousin runs a food blog and she was the one who recommeneded it! Definitely worth a try!
  • Options
    I screwed up a meeting last week so told the guy 'pick a place round your way, and I'm paying so make it nice' thinking I'd put it on the company card. He picked Gaucho. I knew nothing of this place. I now know that it's pretty amazing. And the most expensive place I've been to in years.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MrLargo said:

Anyone know what's happened to Villa Moura in Lee Green? Went passed the other day and it looks like it's closed down. Bit surprised as it's been there for ages and always seemed to be reasonably busy.

Service went down the pan a couple of years ago but I went in after Christmas and they had a new menu and, tarted up the frontage and seemed to be back on track. Would be a shame to lose Jorge Costa's favourite local restaurant.

Funny you should say that. My mum booked a birthday meal there around the 2nd week of July, for a meal on Sunday 3rd August. Relatives coming from as far as Longfield.

When they got there, there was a notice on the door saying closed for a holiday. She wasn't rang to say it had to be cancelled at short notice. I reckon there must be something going on, unless they are determined to p off all their customers.
  • Options

Got taken to Indian Essence myself last week on my birthday (not my 40th!). Best curry I've ever had! We had the tasting menu, and it was fantastic. Tried things I'd never have picked off the normal menu. really enjoyed it. Got a firework put in my dessert too which was embarrassing, but a nice touch.

Didn't have any problems with the waiters, but now that I've read your comments, I guess they did seem a little disorganised - ordering drinks with one waitress then being asked 5 seconds later by another waiter if we wanted to order drinks, but didn't think about it at the time. it wasn't that busy - it was a Wednesday, and there were probably too many staff trying to keep busy by doing things.

Went there Saturday night. Table booked for 8:30, didnt sit down at our table til 9:15, having to stand up having a drink at the bar. Food was fab, service...well...looks like they havent improved in the last year. Very disorganised. Was a lot louder than we'd expected, something to bare in mind. Despite the average service, would definitely go back.

Cyprianis, just across the road, is a very nice restaurant too.
  • Options
    Went to Chapter One for the first time on Friday night.

Mixed views really. didn't feel that special. felt very rushed (no time between starter/main) no time to choose initial drinks. wrong 1/2 bottle of wine brought to Dec with limited explanation as to why. The one he asked for was out of stock so they suggested the replacement (which £10 more).

We had to tell them at least 3 times that we weren't ready to order dessert (just to slow down the pace of the meal)

The food was great - which I guess is the main thing. Will go back to try again, but not in a massive rush.

• Options
    Booked up three places last night.

For our anniversary this Sat night, Launceston Place (Kensington)

For my Birthday in October, Galvin by Windows(Park Lane)

And because it looks a bit different, The Restaurant Story (Tooley St)

Anyone been to any of these? Much to report?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No thrills, but went to a cracking little Italian in Wapping last night called Il Bordello. Massive portions and top notch.
  • Options

No thrills, but went to a cracking little Italian in Wapping last night called Il Bordello. Massive portions and top notch.

Went there a couple of weeks back. Very nice food.

• Options

Booked up three places last night.

For our anniversary this Sat night, Launceston Place (Kensington)

For my Birthday in October, Galvin by Windows(Park Lane)

And because it looks a bit different, The Restaurant Story (Tooley St)

Anyone been to any of these? Much to report?

What did you make of Story mate? Love the idea but is the food nice?
  • Options
    Went to Uskudar, a Turkish restaurant in Petts Wood last night (there's also one in Tonbridge).

Very busy but very nice food (proper protein overload in the kebabs) and reasonably priced. Would definitely go back.
  • Options
    Going to Foxlow tonight for Mr Sausage's birthday - anyone been? will scroll back through this thread in a bit to have a look if I've missed previous reviews.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ate at Dishoom in Covent Garden last week. Got some really nice little tasters that did a job at lunchtime.
  • Options

The steak i had in there last year was the size of the plate - they brought the potatoes and veg out on a seperate one. The pasta dishes are huge aswell! I must go back soon!
  • Options
    Where is Foxlow sausage ?
  • Options
    Shag said:

Where is Foxlow sausage ?

St John Street - Clerkenwell. Heading to Jeruselum Tavern first.

Anyone been there on a Friday night?

Not very good with areas of London east of Holborn!
  • Options
    Have been to The Ivy three times in last 6 weeks, still a great restaurant, but seems to be a tourist place rather than full of stars and luvvies like it used to.