Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• Options
    I work for Heat London (HHC). Berkley Scott are our main competitors.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Two local restaurants to me that are worth a visit. The Kaya House in Deptford is brilliant. Tiny place but serves wonderful Thai/ Cantonese. Also, the Babur in Brockley. Award winning Indian restaurant serving delicious curries that are very individual. Slightly dearer than your average Indian but well worth it.
  • Options
    Went to Goodmans in Canary Wharf for lunch yesterday.

2 x nice rib eye steaks, spinach, chips and a bottle of house Malbec came to £120!

Top food, but Vegas money!

S3 in Falconwood is still top notch.
  • Options
    Dont go Zero Degrees in Blackheath, worst customer service ever.
  • Options

Ah ok, I've only been in the industry 8 months.

No worry
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Whats S3 in falconwood mate ?
  • Options
    Indian restaurant. Food is really good.
  • Options
    That and Bengal Quay by the Wharf are my favourites.
  • Options
    Other highly recommended but quite pricey Indians in central London:

Benares - michelin starred, Berkeley Square. Eastern spiced top end food rather than your usual curries.
    Cinammon Club - Great Smith Street, near Westminster Abbey. Nice setting in old library.
    Bombay Brasserie - more traditional curry house but good quality. Off the Cromwell Road.
    Cafe Spice Namaste - Prescot St, near the Royal Mint. Quirky, relatively inexpensive.

And my favourite central London Chinese - Kai, in South Audley Street, Mayfair. Watch out for the Wasabi Kong Prawn starter - to die for.

Bugger, I'm hungry now!

• Options
    Davo55 said:

And my favourite central London Chinese - Kai, in South Audley Street, Mayfair. Watch out for the Wasabi Kong Prawn starter - to die for.

Not Kong, KING :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Other highly recommended but quite pricey Indians in central London:

Benares - michelin starred, Berkeley Square. Eastern spiced top end food rather than your usual curries.
    Cinammon Club - Great Smith Street, near Westminster Abbey. Nice setting in old library.
    Bombay Brasserie - more traditional curry house but good quality. Off the Cromwell Road.
    Cafe Spice Namaste - Prescot St, near the Royal Mint. Quirky, relatively inexpensive.

Bugger, I'm hungry now!

Cinammon Soho is a slightly cheaper sister restaurant to Cinammon Club and is good.
  • Options
    I'm being taken up the Oxo tower this afternoon (not a double entendre, I really am)
  • Options
    Camden arms used to be great when I lived in pembury few years back.
    Tumeric gold in tudley best Indian in Kent but u need to book for weekend packed out even with new extension.
  • Options

Dont go Zero Degrees in Blackheath, worst customer service ever.

agreed. The only place ive eaten and complained.

• Options
    Had dinner in The Bleeding Heart in Hatton Garden the other night. Always a treat, can appear a little intimidating sometimes, but the staff/management are always really polite and helpful and the food is fantastic, both taste and presentation-wise. Great wine selection and finished off with a nice glass of Calvados.
  • Options
    Echo the S3 Falconwood endorsement above, quality curry house.

Ate in the Duck and Waffle at the top of the Heron Tower in Bishopsgate, spectacular views and excellent (different) food, bit pricey but I wasn't paying
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Echo the S3 Falconwood endorsement above, quality curry house.

Ate in the Duck and Waffle at the top of the Heron Tower in Bishopsgate, spectacular views and excellent (different) food, bit pricey but I wasn't paying

Re S3.....No issues with the food at all.... BUT went a couple of weeks ago, the little guy who is the manager apparently gave us someone else's table? even though we had booked over a week in advance.
    Fair enough they did sort it.....
    But the meal was spoilt by loud, borish tables of customers literally yelling at each other, I am not sure if the acoustics in those alcoves need sound proofing, but Jesus. By all means have a laugh, and a good time,but constant yelling, you could have have heard it the other side of the green!..... ear muffs for me if I go next time, pity as I really like the place.

• Options
    For those people who want to venture out futher, there is a new website called www.tablepouncer.com which isnt in London YET - but will likely be by this time next year in one form or another.Lots of very nice restaurants at very good prices.
  • Options
    Just finished in murano, 7 course taster with a different wine for every course. Each course served and explained by Angela hartnett, fantastic. Am now in claridges sipping champers and looking forward to breakfast. Hats off to Mrs mehmet for winning the prize!
  • Options
    The Bell Inn, Horndon.

pub but the food served up in the restaurant is, imo quality.

scallop starter, bacon, black pudding and lemon curd.

rib eye steak done to medium rare perfection, roast cherry tomato & horseradish mayonnaise

blackberry and apple cheesecake, apple sorbet and crisp
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine the rage if a footballer had posted that. Sounds amazing by the way.
  • Options
    Couple of weeks back I went to Heston bloomigpricy “Dinner”. Over a 100 quid! That’s a main meal for two, a small glass of white wine, half a cider and a bottle of water. Don’t do the lunch menu on weekends that’s what done me. Bastards! Couldn’t back out cos I was on a date.

nice place though looking out on hyde park. food was really good. But still…. £100?!!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sounds wonderful Russ. Dead envious. Enjoy.

Also Ian went a few years ago with work. Got a pic of him cooking in the kitchen.
  • Options
    Cheers b, making the most of it!
  • Options
    Went to 12? - Jamie Olivers in Shoreditch a couple of years ago - the most disgusting meal i have ever had - and the price made me gulp - i complained to management but they were only interested in taking the money - therefore i put a negative review on london-eating.co.uk - only for it to be removed 2 days later ! . Since then i dont touch anything Jamie Oliver and advise others against it too
  • Options
    However, Wahacas is the dogs.
  • Options
    Far too many people earning far too much money to afford these places.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Anyone ever eaten at 7 Hotel diner in Halstead?

Had breakfast in their Saturday, piss poor service, food just about average.
  • Options
    Went to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for my 40th. The restaurant is run by Atul Kochhar, who also runs the Michelin-starred Benares that Davo55 mentioned earlier. Food was lovely but the service was a little strange. Not bad but just a bit confused over drinks etc.

My favourite meal over my birthday weekend however was at Gauchos over by City Hall. Excellent waiter, gorgeous food and not incredibly expensive. Plus they gave me a free birthday cake when the wife told them it was my 40th!
  • Options
    Got taken to Indian Essence myself last week on my birthday (not my 40th!). Best curry I've ever had! We had the tasting menu, and it was fantastic. Tried things I'd never have picked off the normal menu. really enjoyed it. Got a firework put in my dessert too which was embarrassing, but a nice touch.

Didn't have any problems with the waiters, but now that I've read your comments, I guess they did seem a little disorganised - ordering drinks with one waitress then being asked 5 seconds later by another waiter if we wanted to order drinks, but didn't think about it at the time. it wasn't that busy - it was a Wednesday, and there were probably too many staff trying to keep busy by doing things.