Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• "Enema"? "Opening the back yard"?

*snigger
  • Never ever eat in The Savoy. I've seen the kitchen.

Went for lunch at Arbutus last week. Michelin food for a decent price. Go check it out. Very nice

Arbutus is very good. A few very good restaurants in SoHo. Another I really like is Kettners. Have been there in a large group & also just the two of us. Food & drink (Champagne Bar) always excellent & some of the best service.
  • If Bodeans is a quarter as good as American barbeque places it will be very good. I'm looking for a window to go and eat there

All the fun at enemas was had out the back bit. Got messy a few times I can tell you
  • #carter yeah going to re do it for th summer but because of enigma we've got licensing issues out there!! Have to get everyone inside by 11pm, which is a shame as a great space
  • Have been to Bodeans on Clapham High Street, and as I've now been leaving in the Deep South of the States for 2 years I can say that their BBQ stands up pretty well compared to their US brothers. And if you like American sports its a cracking place to catch a game....has all night SuperBowl parties too if I remember rightly.

Was thinking of heading to Maze, Gordon Ramsey's place in Mayfair on Thursday.......anyone been?
  • edited December 2012
    Gordon Ramsey said on The Alan Carr show that Marco Pierre White was a f****** c***.
    Charming. I wouldn't eat in one of his places for free.
  • DanDavis said:

Have been to Bodeans on Clapham High Street, and as I've now been leaving in the Deep South of the States for 2 years I can say that their BBQ stands up pretty well compared to their US brothers. And if you like American sports its a cracking place to catch a game....has all night SuperBowl parties too if I remember rightly.

Was thinking of heading to Maze, Gordon Ramsey's place in Mayfair on Thursday.......anyone been?

You have just made my year. If Americans have given anything to the world it is pulled pork and ribs barbeque style!
  • Carter said:

DanDavis said:

Have been to Bodeans on Clapham High Street, and as I've now been leaving in the Deep South of the States for 2 years I can say that their BBQ stands up pretty well compared to their US brothers. And if you like American sports its a cracking place to catch a game....has all night SuperBowl parties too if I remember rightly.

You have just made my year. If Chinese Americans have given anything to the world it is pulled pork and ribs barbeque style!
    Fixed
  • DanDavis said:

Yes Dan. I went there in the summer. Very good. Kind of a tasting menu approach with lots of courses, but smaller than usual so you get lots of variety. Nice vibe there too, quite informal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Davo!
  • Most restaurants are absolute rubbish in my view, but we all end up in one from time to time.
    The only decent place I ever went to was called 'Heathers' in Deptford.
    For greasy spoon folk there is the Manor Cafe in Manor Lane, Lee,...very popular, usually very busy. Giardinos in the Glades used to be OKish, but has got worse...there is a similar Italian place in Blackheath Standard which is much better. If you have to spend a fortune on a cup of coffee out, then Cafe Nero is better than Costa Coffee or Starbucks.
    If you think about going to MacDonalds, simply ask yourself how desperate you are, because it is always always lousy (better explain I only would ever have the veggie option), think again and go to a Wimpey if you have to, and have a beanburger platter there, at least it is all cooked and prepared in front of you. You really have to be at your wits end to go to Macdonalds, or to grab something at Charing Cross Burger King before you catch your train.
    It is always better (and cheaper) to get some posh Marks and Spencer sarnies or something, even with their silly prices, rather than blimmin Burger King. However not a lot beats slinging together a sarnie at home, grabbing a banana or apple or something, and a choccie biscuit rather than paying some cockroach infested gaff to feed you.
    I too have seen the kitchens of some of the poshest places in the West End...urrrgh.

There is a nice Italian by Brockley chandos which is ok...the ice cream there is particularly exotic.
  • Heathers in Deptford was fantastic, went a few times, think they moved to Yorkshire?
  • If you want somewhere a bit special 100 yards from Oxford Circus try Pollen Street Social.

http://www.pollenstreetsocial.com/
  • Anyone ever eaten at 7 Hotel diner in Halstead?
  • yes mate, when it first opened it was ok nothing special.
  • scruffle said:

We've just opened a restaurant within my bar in Rochester. Any medway people pop by check it out

www.oliversrochester.co.uk

Looks nice.

went to MASH recently (old Titanic restaurant building) - best steaks I've had this side of the atlantic.

http://www.mashsteak.dk/
  • If anyone's in Bath and fancies a curry, head to the Rajpoot. Voted the best Indian Restaurant in the South West and the food is superb. Expensive though. 2 courses and a bottle of Indian Red was over £40 a head which is twice a much as I pay at my local
  • Yeah love Due Amici's been many times
  • If anyone's in Bath and fancies a curry, head to the Rajpoot. Voted the best Indian Restaurant in the South West and the food is superb. Expensive though. 2 courses and a bottle of Indian Red was over £40 a head which is twice a much as I pay at my local

Agree with that VM, Rajpoot is well worth a visit.
    Also worth a visit in Bath is Eastern Eye on Quiet Street. Bit pricey once again, but quality of food and the surroundings is excellent.
    Do one of them lunchtime and the other in the evening :)

• Sponsored links:

• kafka said:

scruffle said:

We've just opened a restaurant within my bar in Rochester. Any medway people pop by check it out

www.oliversrochester.co.uk

Looks nice.

went to MASH recently (old Titanic restaurant building) - best steaks I've had this side of the atlantic.

http://www.mashsteak.dk/
    Cheers, been doing quite well since opening what two months ago now, up to no1 on tripadvisor, but in all honestly its better priced, ambience and service than topes but food not as technical, yet!!
  • @scruffle do you need any kitchen staff?

I work in the recruitment industry for Chefs.

Not at the moment got one of the best chefs I've worked with running show, leave all kitchen staff to her. Drop us a mail thou we would be looking at expanding th team in th not too distant future info@oliversrochester.co.uk althou prob wouldn't use an agency but you never know.
  • If anyone is in the Pembury/Tunbridge Wells area, can highly recommend the Camden Arms Hotel in Pembury.
    Discovered it when my baby boy was in the hospital down the road a few months back, went back Saturday to see the nurses as they like to see how they grow/progress etc, so popped in again, great food, great service, 3 courses, 2 glasses of wine and a large pepsi, £62. Not the cheapest but well worth it.

You dont know a little mad Glaswegian woman called Denise do you?
  • Pepsi! Hardly ever hear that said anymore.

Hey Eddie, how comes you're such a big hit with the girls?

Well you can tell by what I’m drinking that I’m really kinda smooth,
    Oh yeah, Uh-huh-huh.
    I take a Pepsi from the counter and I stroll up to the booth,
    Oh yeah, Uh-huh-huh.
    And when I get to where they’re sittin’
    That’s my chance to treat those kittens
    Ohhhh Pesi Cola........
  • DA9 said:

@scruffle do you need any kitchen staff?

No mate. I deal mainly with Michelin/Rosette level restaurants and 5* Hotels in Central London. Only really venture out into Kent/Surrey if the business is there.

• DA9 said:

@scruffle do you need any kitchen staff?

No mate. I deal mainly with Michelin/Rosette level restaurants and 5* Hotels in Central London. Only really venture out into Kent/Surrey if the business is there.

She works in the same industry as you, she started her career at the old in & out club on Piccadilly many years ago, now in recruitment.

• Ah ok, I've only been in the industry 8 months.
  • its not Berkley Scott is it ?