Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Restaurant Thread

Comments

• Badger said:

Any recommendations for Oxford street, regent street,Tottenham court road.

Picture restaurant in Fitzrovia (3-5 min walk from Oxford Street) is amazing. 6 course tasting menu is really nice and good vfm.
    +1 great place
  • edited April 2017
    any recommendations for somewhere for an early saturday brunch near her majestys theatre?. thanks in advance
  • Went with the missus to The Meze at 5ways last Saturday great grub reasonably priced will be going again.
  • any recommendations for somewhere for an early saturday brunch near her majestys theatre?. thanks in advance

This place is great and reasonably priced. Get's booked up though.

https://www.brasseriezedel.com/brasserie-zedel

• Went with the missus to The Meze at 5ways last Saturday great grub reasonably priced will be going again.

Same people as the one in Bexleyheath?
  • Cabrera's in Lee is very good. Chef is from Goodmans.
  • Star of Asia, Luxembourg High St, is the dogs.

Yep, same one that got 0/5 on the Bexley Council Food Hygiene scores...
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Went with the missus to The Meze at 5ways last Saturday great grub reasonably priced will be going again.

edit: 1/5 on 12/01/2017...
  • JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Went with the missus to The Meze at 5ways last Saturday great grub reasonably priced will be going again.

edit: 1/5 on 12/01/2017...
    I'll stick with Meze Mangal then...
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone been to Jasmine House, Chinese in Charing/Ashford?
  • edited October 2017
    Jints said:

Badger said:

Any recommendations for Oxford street, regent street,Tottenham court road.

Loads of good places in Soho. Kiln, Temper, hoppers are all meant to be superb.
    Went kiln a few months back and was quite impressed. Literally minutes from Piccadilly Circus. Recently got a bib gourmand from Michelin too last week, and is in the top 10 restaurants in U.K. 2017 - though not entirely warranted in my opinion. It's good but not incredible.

Temper is one of the best restaurants I've eaten at in London. Heard good reviews but went back in august and it exceeded my expectations ten fold. Can sit either around the open pit BBQ or at a table. GreAt BBQ meats and their flavours and spices are fantastic. They don't hold back on spice which is great to see.

Went to hoppers last week and it was also equally good. Never had Sri Lankan food before but has made me want to try more. The bone marrow and lamb shank khari dishes are must try's Their new one by Bond Street you can actually book for 4 people which we did. Unlike the soho one which is walk up only.

A.wong on Victoria is the other restaurant that I would recommend to anyone. Chinese food at some of its finest I've had in London- no wonder it's voted 3rd best restaurant in the uk. Went a few weeks ago and loved it which was before it got its recent Michelin star. Every dish was superb, dressed nicely and flavours incredibly good -quite small so book ahead.

If you're looking for a great Chinese near st James is ma la Sichuan. Was the best I had been too for consistent quality and value the past few years, that was before I tried A.wong.

Went to blacklock in soho tonight and there's one in the city. BBQ chop house vibe, and if you go on Mondays you get butchers prices on the meat I.e 5quid per 100g of prime rib instead of 8quid which is great value.
  • I went to A.Wong just a couple of days before it got it's star. Was very impressed by inventiveness and good quality service. Did need to book a week or two ahead.

• Heading to StreetXO Mayfair on Thursday, heard good things. Anyone been?
  • Went to Shampan at the Spinning Wheel in Westerham for the third time just before Christmas. Once again, despite being told not to several times, they managed to put fresh coriander on the wife's starter, and failed to mention the dip that came with it was a coriander dip... The main course was superb though.

At about 1/3 of the price, The Darjeeling on Masons Hill Bromely does a fantastic Wednesday night limited menu cooked-to-order "buffet" - and there's still loads to choose from. I would choose it over the Shampan any day, but the family like it, and they pay...
  • CAFCsayer said:

Heading to StreetXO Mayfair on Thursday, heard good things. Anyone been?

Extremely punchy but Absolutely superb, would go as far as saying best I've ever been to
  • Just a heads up that its London Restaurant Festival in October and Bookatable are doing some great offers.

Just booked up to go The Square next Friday. 7 course tasting menu for £55 (Usually £110).
  • Absolutely gutted that my favourite little Italian Osteria da Fabrizio in Orpington closed last week.
    More sky high rents destroying the High Street.
  • Went to Shampan at the Spinning Wheel in Westerham for the third time just before Christmas. Once again, despite being told not to several times, they managed to put fresh coriander on the wife's starter, and failed to mention the dip that came with it was a coriander dip... The main course was superb though.

At about 1/3 of the price, The Darjeeling on Masons Hill Bromely does a fantastic Wednesday night limited menu cooked-to-order "buffet" - and there's still loads to choose from. I would choose it over the Shampan any day, but the family like it, and they pay...

Would you choose BJ’s over Julias ? Or Casa do Lago over Gigi’s?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Absolutely gutted that my favourite little Italian Osteria da Fabrizio in Orpington closed last week.

That is a real shame. Will not be visiting the Prezzo/Strada/Giraffe/Wagamama that I expect will replace it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still use Ferrari's a lot, haven't had one issue there. Food is very good and the Wine is reasonably priced.

Horse and Groom, Wilmington for Sunday lunch.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Absolutely gutted that my favourite little Italian Osteria da Fabrizio in Orpington closed last week.

Sadly , it had been going down hill recently, but have enjoyed great meals there in the past.
  • How much, if at all, do you tip nowadays after a formal meal in a restaurant in London? 

Judging by the comments below a recent article in the FT, written by a journo who spends a lot of time in the US, this is quite a hot topic. 
  • How much, if at all, do you tip nowadays after a formal meal in a restaurant in London? 

Judging by the comments below a recent article in the FT, written by a journo who spends a lot of time in the US, this is quite a hot topic. 
    These days I find that restaurants just add a service charge. If they don't then usually 10%. When I worked in a restaurant as a waiter about 8 years ago it was the same - 10% from most British people. American's used to tip loads though! Some didn't tip at all. 

Nearly everywhere adds it to your bill now. If its not added then usually tip what change im carrying, which is never alot as i dont carry cash.

It’s normally added, but if not, 15%. 
  • Back in Charlton for the first time in years on Friday and really, really looking for a banging curry. Any recommendations?
  • Back in Charlton for the first time in years on Friday and really, really looking for a banging curry. Any recommendations?
    Shampan in Falconwood or Mogul in Sidcup.
    Shampan in Falconwood or Mogul in Sidcup.
    The Moghul isn't what is once was.

We went in there a few weeks ago and I'd booked a table for 5 some time in advance. We were crammed into a table for 4, with barley enough room to put drinks down. Started serving the mains as they were taking the starters away and the whole meal was rushed. The be fair, my food was very good but a couple with us weren't that impressed with theirs.

Also heard from more than a couple of people we know that they weren't that impressed with the food or service. 
    Depending on your budget, Shampan at Chatterton Road, Bromley (we went a couple of weeks ago for a family birthday and it was really good), Pink Garlic on the same road...
    but if you want something a little bit better than your average... Cinnamon Culture (formerly of Sundridge Park but now in Chislehurst) or Indian Essence (Atul Kocchar's restaurant) in Petts Wood (he owns Benares at Berkeley Square in London).