Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The six degrees of separation game

So the theory is that we are all only six degrees of separation away from everyone else on the planet eg you've met someone who's met someone who's met someone etc.

So let's start with someone very famous.  Elvis Presley.

Who can get to Elvis in 6 steps or less?

Comments

• Options

My son met Pete Doherty who went out with Kate Moss ... one of her friends is Stella McCartney ... who is the daughter of Paul McCartney ... who met Elvis

• Options
    edited July 2011

I met a TV producer who met Paul McCartney who met Elvis. Actually I can do it in two - I met Bob Dylan who met Elvis.

The really difficult one is getting  to some unknown bloke who lives in a slum in Rio de Janiero in six steps.

• Options
    Agreed - this only ever works with famous people. And basically because famous people meet a lot of people.
  • Options
    True but who wants to meet someone from a slum in Rio? : - )

And since I've met Nadou I can do Elvis in three and Dylan in two!

OK Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is better.

Name any actor and you can get to Kevin Bacon in six steps or less. Every time.
  • Options
    OK, Stephen Hawking.

I've seen Todd Rundgren in concert who performed his sublime song Hawking, which is about Stephen Hawking.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    OK, Stephen Hawking.

I've seen Todd Rundgren in concert who performed his sublime song Hawking, which is about Stephen Hawking.
    But you haven't met Todd and has he met Hawking?

I've met Danny Baker and he's met Rundgren so I've got him in two.
  • Options
    Oh, right. Don't think so, no. Scratch that, then.
  • Options
    Here's a Six Degrees of Separation on a cricket theme that was doing the rounds recently in the City. More of a quiz. So come on all you cricket buffs,

The idea is to get from an England team in 1931 to the current England Test team in just 6 moves by way of mutual Test colleagues.

Your starting point then is former England captain Freddie Brown, who made his debut in 1931, and later played in the same team as “A”    in 1949.

“A” in his final Test in 1976 played in the same team as   “B”.

“B” in his final Test in 1984/5 played in the same team as   “C”

“C” in his final Test in 1994/5   played in the same team as   “D”

“D” in his final Test in 2005 played in the same team as   “E” and “F”.

“E” and “F” Both played at Lords this week and will play at Trent Bridge.

So who are A, B, C, D, E, & F?

• Options
    OK, someone hit me with an actor and I'll show you how easy it is to get to Kevin Bacon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ken Campbell
  • Options

The really difficult one is getting  to some unknown bloke who lives in a slum in Rio de Janiero in six steps.

Disagree. If you look at mutual friends on Facebook for example it's quite scary how many folk you could get to in 6 steps.  Ie from this forum alone you could probably get to every Charlton fan in the world in a couple of steps (all 300 of us) ;-)

My sister in law is Brazilian and im sure her friends from Rio could probably get to the chap in the slums within a few moves.

• Options
    Ken Campbell. Give us a minute.
  • Options
    Ken Campbell was in A Fish Called Wanda with Kevin Kline, who was in Grand Canyon with Steve Martin, who was in Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Kevin Bacon.
  • Options
    Very good.
  • Options
    A must be Brian Close?
  • Options
    This smells like an opportunity to name-drop to me...
  • Options
    A must be Brian Close?
    You're off and running.
  • Options
    OK, Stephen Hawking.

Well done. Henry. Just seen that.
  • Options
    OK, Stephen Hawking.

More importantly I once bought the first Nazz LP for 50p in a junk shop in Plumstead and sold it for £20.  Lot of money in 1976
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This smells like an opportunity to name-drop to me...

Agreed. Who started this thread?

• Options
    Oh dear,

It was meant to be a bit of light hearted fun to encourage the site away from moaning and petty nastiness.

Didn't work though.  Shame but why should I expect any different.
  • Options
    OK, Stephen Hawking.

More importantly I once bought the first Nazz LP for 50p in a junk shop in Plumstead and sold it for £20.  Lot of money in 1976
    And there's me thinking I was possibly the only one on here who'd heard of the Nazz. Nice one, Henry. Good album, with the classic Open My Eyes and the original version of Hello, It's Me.
  • Options
    Have a go at my cricket quiz then Henry, I've not met any of the answers btw....
  • Options
    Or Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. I've got to Kevin Bacon from Fatty Arbuckle before. Bit out of practice now, though.
  • Options
    OK, Stephen Hawking.

And there's me thinking I was possibly the only one on here who'd heard of the Nazz. Nice one, Henry. Good album, with the classic Open My Eyes and the original version of Hello, It's Me.
    Can't say I'm a fan but I used to top up my income buying and selling collectable stuff.  Never catch me doing that now : - )
  • Options
    Can you get to Kevin Bacon from Moore Marriot (starred as old Jerry Harbottle in the Will Hay films) ?
  • Options
    I've met Prof Robert Winston and he's met Stephen Hawking. Henry has met me so it works for us both.
  • Options
    Going back to Elvis, I used to frequent a chip shop on New Cross Road (next to The Walpole pub) which had been visited by Paul McCartney and Heather Mills a couple of times on their way home from a night out (they now do a McCartney Special - gherkin and chips(!) - in tribute to him). McCartney met Elvis. I make that 3 steps - do I win £5?
  • Options
    Moore Marriot. I'll give it a go. Bear with me, as I'm not entirely familiar with him.