Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Debit Cards

Can anyone offer any advise from experiences?

I have called up a company today and made a payment using my Debit Card. When checking my on line banking it appears that the pending amount is double the amount required.

Has anyone had this before? Is it likely that it will be corrected during the pending stage?

Comments

• Options
    I've had this happen a few times before. In the end, only the correct amount was cleared.

If in doubt, phone your card company
  • Options
    Thanks Blinkant. I have spoken to my bank who have said i have to wait untilt he amount is cleared.
  • Options
    It usually will show for 7 days as pending then it drops back in when the merchant doesn't claim it!
  • Options

Some companies do double the amount for security but ony actually take the proper amount.

• Options
    does that affect your available balance though? be a bit pissed off if someones taking double the amount and it prevents me from accessing my money.
  • Options
    Talking of debit cards. When is the box office going to start to take Visa Electron?
  • Options
    Visa Electron?  I thought they were for students and youngsters and used by people to avoid the grasping Ryanair charges (and I think Ryanair has closed that loophole anyway).  Anyone who charges for debit cards is simply taking the pi$$ (and more of my money.)
  • Options
    Can anyone offer any advise from experiences?

I have called up a company today and made a payment using my Debit Card. When checking my on line banking it appears that the pending amount is double the amount required.

Has anyone had this before? Is it likely that it will be corrected during the pending stage?
    It should probably sort itself out but it's worth doublechecking. Basically the payment happens in 2 stages - first they check you have enough money in your account, and if so they put a hold on the money and get an authorisation code back, then at the end of the day they claim the money for all the successfully authorised payments. What's probably happened is that the first time they tried to get an authorisation it put a hold on the money, but there was a glitch in getting the auth code back, so they tried it again. This should mean that they only take the money off you once, but it may take a while for the other hold to expire, so you won't be able to spend that amount until it does. If it's still showing after a week, you may have to get the company to confirm in writing/by email that they will never be claiming the second amount, so your bank will remove the hold for you. Depending on who you bank with it may or may not be so easy to do so.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Visa Electron?  I thought they were for students and youngsters and used by people to avoid the grasping Ryanair charges (and I think Ryanair has closed that loophole anyway).  Anyone who charges for debit cards is simply taking the pi$$ (and more of my money.)
    Erm i'm 42 and , i was never a student and have never flown Ryanair.  
  • Options

both payments cleared my account now. Called the company who claim they only have taken one payment and have had to send a copy of my bank statment as proof. I have not yet had a response from the email of proof, can anyone give any advise of what i can do and where i stand.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Call the bank and tell them about it, quote the distance selling act.  
    Get the bank to forward to the company the details, that way they have no comeback.  
    Make sure it is all signed for. 

That aside if it is a big reseller they would normally get it sorted out asap, upon recite of proof.  
    (you would be surprised how many try it on) 
  • Options

both payments cleared my account now. Called the company who claim they only have taken one payment and have had to send a copy of my bank statment as proof. I have not yet had a response from the email of proof, can anyone give any advise of what i can do and where i stand.

Ask your bank for the authorisation code for each of  the two payments, and which merchant services provider (streamline, worldpay etc) was used to authorise the payment. Once you've got these, go back to the company and ask them to confirm the authorisation code for the payment that they took, and whether they keyed the payment through a PDQ machine, or entered it into a computer system for authorisation by a 3rd party supplier. They may believe they've only taken one payment, so it's not necessarily them trying to diddle you but they need to go back to their 3rd party supplier or merchant services provider to find out what happened to that authorisation and get the second lot of money refunded to you. Advise them that if you don't receive a refund into your account within 7 days then you'll be instituting the chargeback process with your card issuer. (Basically the bank try to get the money back off the merchant services provider, who then take it back off the company). Allowing 7 days is fair, as some banks are incredibly slow at recrediting the money even beyond the usual 3 day payment processing cycle.

Good luck.

• Options
    edited July 2011

A well known company of long East Anglian tradition but which now has a foreign sounding name took my wife's car insurance renewal twice and then took 4 MONTHS to reimburse her despite being sent a copy of her bank statement as requested when she realised what had occurred.

I have an related policy with the same company which I pay annually by cheque. Last year I sent the cheque in good time and a fortnight after the renewal date it had not been cashed. I telephoned (at some expense both in terms of my time and call charges given the delay in speaking to me) and asked whether my cheque had been received. I was advised that it had not and duly took the name of the official who gave this information. I told her I would send a cheque by return and cancel the unreceived cheque.

This was duly done as I said and in less than a week the "new" cheque cleared my bank account. However a few days later I received a threatening letter advising that the cheque I'd sent to pay my premium had been cancelled and that all cover would cease unless I paid immediately.

Given that I had tangible evidence that I had paid via my bank statement I chose not to allow them to stress me out or intimidate me and ignored that particular letter. However I did wonder whether some people may have been intimidated and felt that they should pay again given the threatening tone of the letter.

Hopefully people now understand some of the reasons (I have more) why I refer to insurance companies as thieving bastards!

• Options

the phrase an related should read an unrelated.

The "new" Charlton Life does not permit me to edit.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    OT, but I don't seem to have any problems editing my posts Len.

Edited, to check, works fine.
  • Options
    OT, but I don't seem to have any problems editing my posts Len.

Edited, to check, works fine.

It's probably to do with versions of browser and all that stuff. I did try updating to IE8 but not a lot seemed to happen!

I proably did it wrong. Technology is not one of my strong points.

• Options
    I'd start by ditching IE, even 8, it's horrible. Firefox all the way.
  • Options
    question

I paid a hotel bill back in June using my debit card, their machine at the time was broken so they used their old fashioned 'swipe' machine which takes an inprint of the card and the amount is handwritten on and then I sign. I have the copy receipt with my signature, an authorisation code and the amount on it, but no date visable

thing is they still haven't taken the cash from my current account.....the bill was for £1,500 and the money is still sitting there waiting for them to take it, at first I thought maybe they'd reconcile it at the end of the month (when it didn't come out after a few days) and each month I keep expecting it to go but it doesn't...I then thought, maybe they'll reconcile their annual accounts at the end of the tax year in April and realise it's not been paid (obviously I'm hoping they won't - and I'm not going to contact them to remind them!)

after some digging I found info that states they can take the money at anytime up to 6 years?, anyone know if this is correct - or have you been in a similar situation.

I've got plenty of things I could use that money for, but obviously don't want to spend it for them to then come calling for it....bit of a quandry
  • Options

question

I paid a hotel bill back in June using my debit card, their machine at the time was broken so they used their old fashioned 'swipe' machine which takes an inprint of the card and the amount is handwritten on and then I sign. I have the copy receipt with my signature, an authorisation code and the amount on it, but no date visable

thing is they still haven't taken the cash from my current account.....the bill was for £1,500 and the money is still sitting there waiting for them to take it, at first I thought maybe they'd reconcile it at the end of the month (when it didn't come out after a few days) and each month I keep expecting it to go but it doesn't...I then thought, maybe they'll reconcile their annual accounts at the end of the tax year in April and realise it's not been paid (obviously I'm hoping they won't - and I'm not going to contact them to remind them!)

after some digging I found info that states they can take the money at anytime up to 6 years?, anyone know if this is correct - or have you been in a similar situation.

I've got plenty of things I could use that money for, but obviously don't want to spend it for them to then come calling for it....bit of a quandry

The honest thing to do would be to call them and ask them to take the money.

The smart thing to do is tell your bank you've lost your card and they'll cancel it and send you a new one. Then the hotel will not be able to take the money when you're not expecting it, and if they ask why the payment failed you can tell them you cancelled the card.

The 6 year thing sounds strange as most cards expire after 3 years.
  • Options
    no way am I ringing them, for the money I spent (or haven't spent) they ballsed up so many things.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok don't ring them, but you'll still be in the same position that you don't know when the money will come out your account.
  • Options

no way am I ringing them, for the money I spent (or haven't spent) they ballsed up so many things.....

CANCEL THAT CARD!!!!!!!!!
    If they get in touch (did you give home address, number), you say, ' I have no idea what your on about'

Had a similar thing on a day out at the zoo with the kids, ok, was only £100 but sod it.

• Options
    @elthamaddick I think you're safe it looks like they've forgotten or ballsed up. If they have kept your card records on their system for this long is be worried it gets into the wrong hands and cancel the card anyway. But the likely hood is the swipe details have been lost due to human error and the person responsible has had to foot the bill. The other scenario is that they have folded as a company. Anyway though it had been 4 months now so the money is yours.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Bedsaddick‌ do you STILL have an electron? ;-)
  • Options
    Right,
    @roseandcrown
    First, you can't use the Consumer Credit Act because you were using a debit rather than a credit card.

However, most (all?) banks and credit card companies operate something called the "chargeback" scheme. See here: money.co.uk/article/1007205-chargeback-claims-how-to-get-your-money-back.htm

Personally after an initial attempt I wouldn't bother with the merchant but use your bank's chargeback scheme instead.

A word of caution: becuase of the often inadequate training received by bank call centre staff it is frequently the case that the 'phone jockey will never have heard of the scheme. INSIST that you speak with somebody competent instead and remind them of the over-arching obligation placed on them by the FCA to "treat customers fairly"
  • Options
    Cancel the card, that is a genius suggestion from Fiiish.
  • Options
    it was a hotel and yes they have my address/contact details etc
  • Options
    Like Sadie says, I reckon they've forgotten it/mislaid it - either way, I doubt they'll be coming to get it now. I would cancel the card so they can't collect it at their leisure and stick it in a savings account until the end of the year. There are all manner of legitimate reasons for your card details not to be valid 4 months after the transaction took place.

If you get to 1 January and you still haven't heard from the hotel then presume you're in the clear and celebrate by putting £1450 behind the bar at the Anchor & Hope after the Brighton game on 10 Jan and inviting everyone who has posted on this thread up until now. Keep back £40 to pay for your ticket and a couple of beers at Watford the following week and save the last tenner to take the wife out for dinner. Happy days!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

A well known company of long East Anglian tradition but which now has a foreign sounding name took my wife's car insurance renewal twice and then took 4 MONTHS to reimburse her despite being sent a copy of her bank statement as requested when she realised what had occurred.

I have an related policy with the same company which I pay annually by cheque. Last year I sent the cheque in good time and a fortnight after the renewal date it had not been cashed. I telephoned (at some expense both in terms of my time and call charges given the delay in speaking to me) and asked whether my cheque had been received. I was advised that it had not and duly took the name of the official who gave this information. I told her I would send a cheque by return and cancel the unreceived cheque.

This was duly done as I said and in less than a week the "new" cheque cleared my bank account. However a few days later I received a threatening letter advising that the cheque I'd sent to pay my premium had been cancelled and that all cover would cease unless I paid immediately.

Given that I had tangible evidence that I had paid via my bank statement I chose not to allow them to stress me out or intimidate me and ignored that particular letter. However I did wonder whether some people may have been intimidated and felt that they should pay again given the threatening tone of the letter.

Hopefully people now understand some of the reasons (I have more) why I refer to insurance companies as thieving bastards!

My advice is to never, ever, buy anything costing over £100 on anything other than a credit card, unless you really, really have to.

Story: I had car insurance with a company (Independent Insurance) that went bust in dubious circumstances. Okay I could have waited (months?) for the FSCS to pay out. Instead I just wrote to the card company, cited S75 of the Consumer Credit Act, reminded them they were jointly and severally liable and requested a pro rata refund for the 9 months' worth of insurance I had not received. Hey presto, money back on my account in a few days. Sorted. If you pay by cheque, you can't do that.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

LenGlover said:

My advice is to never, ever, buy anything costing over £100 on anything other than a credit card, unless you really, really have to.

Story: I had car insurance with a company (Independent Insurance) that went bust in dubious circumstances. Okay I could have waited (months?) for the FSCS to pay out. Instead I just wrote to the card company, cited S75 of the Consumer Credit Act, reminded them they were jointly and severally liable and requested a pro rata refund for the 9 months' worth of insurance I had not received. Hey presto, money back on my account in a few days. Sorted. If you pay by cheque, you can't do that.
    You get a similar level of protection with debit cards these days - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback