Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memorable Lines of commentary,

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
surely i can't be the only one who remembers the one liners regarding charlton,

the best has to be 

'a hatrick from clive mendonca it's 4-4!'

anybody got any others?

Comments

• Not charlton but the greatest line in sporting commentary is without doubt:

The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey,
  • steve dixon commentating on the old charlton videos then jonny robinson scoring v wimbledon in the league cup at the valley and simply go YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS with groaling load voice classic!!!
  • play off final at wembley again! ilic saves AND CHARLTON ARE PROMOTED!!!!
  • The best has got to be:

'It's seems that losing goes quite against Charlton's sensibilities'

or something like that
  • Its only ray parlour
  • In my eyes - play off final commentary will always be Mark Mansfield. When him and Colin Powell started crying.

"And Ilic has saved it! And we're in the Premier League. Charlton, in the most dramatic fashion imaginable, are going to be playing Premier League football next season" Powell - Sorry, I think you're going to have to take over Mark. Mark - "I dont know if I can actually Colin"

• Mark Mansfield at Derby in 1999... "Pringles in!!!... But he's got a long way to go though.......... and he's scored!!!"
  • Again not a Charlton one but the Norwegian commentator when Norway beat England 2-1 in a World Cup qualifier:
    Maggie Thatcher Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"  And of course we had but I doubt the old bag took the slightest interest.
  • "Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken" - Murray Walker.

"They think it's all over..." too obvious?
  • ' and Salmon is looking a bit green around the gills'
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Here' comes Seaman dribbling out of the box"
  • "And it's the goal that could well have secured first division football for Charlton Athletic, and it's Peter Shirtliff again"
  • "And it's the goal that could well have secured first division football for Charlton Athletic, and it's Peter Shirtliff again"

That's going to take some beating!

in a northern accent that fella had as well 

goose pimples guaranteed when that clip is shown
  • The BBC's John Motson...

"And for those of you watching in black & white, Spurs are playing in yellow"

• steve dixon commentating on the old charlton videos then jonny robinson scoring v wimbledon in the league cup at the valley and simply go YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS with groaling load voice classic!!!

"Groaling load voice" I shall have to ask Steve to demonstrate what that is...
  • David Coleman...'Keegan, Toshack...1 NIL'.

• Martin tyler for sky when we played Newcastle in our first season in the prem, Brighty had just had a good goal chalked off from a numpty lino who said the ball hadnt crossed the line, cue Tyler:

"How cruel life can be be when your at the bottom of the league, charlton totally unjustly denied a prescious point, Youds foward to Parker, Parker lays it off PRINGLE!!!!!! Its 2-2, Justice is done at the Valley"

Remeber celebrating like a mad man when this goal went in, think we hadnt won in 12 games or so, then watching it back when i got home Tyler got it spot on.

• Surprised no-one has mentioned Murray Walker yet, the king of spoonerisms and the commentators curse!

in a northern accent that fella had as well 

goose pimples guaranteed when that clip is shown
    John Helm was the commentator I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised no-one has mentioned Murray Walker yet, the king of spoonerisms and the commentators curse!
    You missed my post when reading this then!
  • Murray is a legend, his commentary was probably the clincher for me when it came to following Formula 1
  • Commentator: 'It was so far in!'

Lawrenson: 'I hope Sepp Blatter's squirming in his seat'

(Lampard ghost goal)

• John Barnes. Mark Kinsella. Graham Stuart...and Danny Miiiiiiiilllllllllllls! Wonderful! A goal in the 90th minute.
  • 7-6 now and up steps Michael Gray
  • Ding dong doo, super John Mcginley. Dave Higson Bolton v Charlton 5th March 1994
  • Murray Walker always sounded like he was on fire (or LSD), from what I can recall. But commentary-wise - "He didn't quite get his leg over." ... "Oh Aggers, do stop it!" One of the great moments of radio sport, that. And this, of course! "The fridge has opened! The earth shook! Like a gazelle!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlQk1y00fvc

• One of the best I have ever heard was by Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh , an Irish sports commentator.  It was during the boxing at the Olympics,  I cant remember the fight or boxers but there was one guy giving the other a proper beating. and the line was :

"His opponents right hand has taken up residency in his face"
  • Where were the Germans ?- and quite frankly, who cares!

The master commentator - Barry Davies.