Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shocking Killings In Norway

At least seven killed at a bombing in Government building followed by a gunman going mad at a kids camp on a tiny island resulting in another eighty plus deaths. 32 year old man (thought to be right wing extremist) arrested and linked to both attacks.

Thoughts with the families. Absolutely devastating for them. 

Comments

• This is a terrible tragedy....news is reporting that people who tried to swim away from the attack on the island were shot dead in the water.....divers are now looking for their bodies. My thoughts also with the families of those killed in both events.
  • At least 91 dead now.

Absolutely shocking. One of the nicest places I've ever been to.
  • Terrible events , extreme violence in a fantastic hospitable country, seems like a far right extremist group responsible, very sad indeed
  • This one is beyond comprehension.
  • norway are a proper peaceful nation involved in peace processes around this fucked up world of ours
    very sad news and sympathies to the hundreds of people whose lives will be affected for ever 
    sad times
  • very very sad news! i dont how someone can do much a thing :( RIP all of the vitims and my thoughts go out to there families
  • Sometimes it's hard to believe that we are allegedly the most advanced species on this planet !

Very sad and senseless action once again causes untold heartache to innocent people.

• One of my best friends in the world and his family live in Oslo. Fortunately they also have a summer house on the coast and that's where they were. But one of his friends was working in the building in Oslo, but fortunately left on holiday just five minutes before the blast. My friends son however knows at least one person who was injured in the shootings. Others above have described what a nice country it is, peaceful, comfortable and respectful. I can only imagine the shock the entire country feels that something like this could happen
  • Sometimes it's hard to believe that we are allegedly the most advanced species on this planet !

Very sad and senseless action once again causes untold heartache to innocent people.

Rubbish. Mice are the most advanced!
  • With Dolphins a close second :)
  • Sponsored links:

• With Dolphins a close second :)
    I stand corrected!!
  • A terrible terrible event. Shocking. There are some absolute nutters about.
  • RIP all those unfortunate young souls. Shocking.
  • Just kids enjoying a summer camp and then this slaughter. Totally beyond comprehension. RIP. 
  • RIP to all those young people. Very bad stuff indeed.
  • One of the sad things is I didn't even know about this until about an hour ago, all news on AWH!

This is tragic my prayers are with the families and friends of those dead and the rest of those affected in Norway. God Bless them all :-((  X
  • Heard about this on the boat home from a week in Norway yesterday.
    Very sad.
  • I don't understand this one at all.

Is it a larger scale Dunblane or Hungerford?

• Len, latest estimates are 92 killed between the bombing in Oslo and the shootings at the youth camp. Given that the bombing was reported as killing 8, that means more than 80 killed on the island, so 5 times worse than Hungerford or Dunblane. Even if some of the missing are just still in hiding rather than drowned, that's a huge number for a lone gunman.
  • I don't understand this one at all.

Is it a larger scale Dunblane or Hungerford?

Seems more like a Colombine. Shocked that this happened in Norway of all places, just goes to show that they're maniacs everywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• So the gunman admits that he did it, but denies that he broke the law.

Wtf?!
  • Scandinavia has had a problem like this brewing for years. Highly taxed societies with superb benefits and social services designed for Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Finns have attracted hundreds of thousands of refugeees and immigrants from the middle east and africa. Many Scandinavians feel that their generosity and hospitality has been and continues to be abused by many immigrants. There is  a strong, fascistic warrior culture amongst many young north europeans. For example, motorbike gangs and clubs with strong links to criminality and right wing political groups are gaining in popularity. I am not totally surprised at this outrage. What is unusual is that the perpetrator survived. Hopefully, his 'motives' and verbal outpourings will not be construed as simply the thoughts and ramblings of a lone, deranged madman but looked on as a possible symptom of something evil and menacing which is bubbling under european society.
  • death toll up to 98 :-((
  • The mentality of an individual to point a gun at over 90 separate people and shoot them dead. This replicates Naziism and the NKVD and must be the worst case of quasi genocide since Yugoslavia/Kosovo.

• @Lincsaddick please take your views to Charlton Loyal where they're more likely to be well received.
  • Just listened to that young survivors story on BBC news. How frightening. Not been able to catch the news since Friday.

What actually happened? Did he blow up the building then travel straight down to utoya? This is total madness. God love them.
  • edited July 2011
    I know a few Norwegians who have been telling me for years what a fucked up country it is beneath the surface. Death metal bands (mostly far right Hell's Angels types) have burned down over a hundred churches there, and when one of the more famous death metal bands split up, the singer hunted down and killed the rest of the band. Truly shocking. To add insult to injury, the maximum sentence the guy who killed all those people can get is 21 years :(
  • Scandinavia has had a problem like this brewing for years. Highly taxed societies with superb benefits and social services designed for Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Finns have attracted hundreds of thousands of refugeees and immigrants from the middle east and africa. Many Scandinavians feel that their generosity and hospitality has been and continues to be abused by many immigrants. There is  a strong, fascistic warrior culture amongst many young north europeans. For example, motorbike gangs and clubs with strong links to criminality and right wing political groups are gaining in popularity. I am not totally surprised at this outrage. What is unusual is that the perpetrator survived. Hopefully, his 'motives' and verbal outpourings will not be construed as simply the thoughts and ramblings of a lone, deranged madman but looked on as a possible symptom of something evil and menacing which is bubbling under european society.
    Not quite sure how one loonie tune slaughtering a bunch of ethnic Norwegians fits into your immigration-outrage theory
  • Let's not continue that line of debate here please, it's just not on; let's just leave it. 

This is a thread for the victims.
  • I know a few Norwegians who have been telling me for years what a fucked up country it is beneath the surface. Death metal bands (mostly far right Hell's Angels types) have burned down over a hundred churches there, and when one of the more famous death metal bands split up, the singer hunted down and killed the rest of the band. Truly shocking. To add insult to injury, the maximum sentence the guy who killed all those people can get is 21 years :(
    Mad country, daylight all summer and dark all winter and that reflects on the national character. The immigrants do all the dirty work except for the Americans who bring the oil money ashore. The young people have lots of money, dont have to work for it and dreadful drugs like Black Ice, Methamphetamine and Crack are rife, death metal is the music of choice. Christianity is hated by many as the government pay a proportion of the tax collected to the state churches which act as a kind of secret police meets social services. The position is similar though not as ingrained in Sweden, Finland and Denmark. The outcomes from this dreadful, dreadful incident will be crucial for the future of Scandinavian democracy.