Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich asks for congestion charge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6337499.stm

Comments

• Options
    Traffic is a "nightmare" around the centre of Greenwich - and Blackheath.
    As a local resident I would be all in favour of a local congestion charge if that cut down on the traffic.
  • Options
    I want everyone on 1 day to abandon the car or van and use public transport and see how the country gets on. Only the rich will be able to drive in the future which is wrong.
  • Options
    build a great big tunnel from New Cross/Deptford to the Blackwall tunnel and the A102, problem sorted!!
  • Options
    All for it
  • Options
    course you are, you can't drive !! :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]I want everyone on 1 day to abandon the car or van and use public transport and see how the country gets on. Only the rich will be able to drive in the future which is wrong.

I'm not sure.

i pay £180 a month for my train ticket from dartford and past the initial outlay of buying a car (which i don't currently own) i think i would prefer to own a car.

now if only i could find that dream job near to me...
  • Options
    Red Ken's transport policy and fare increases are surely responsible for the continued congestion. Apparently, we have the most expensive public transport system in the world - this would seem to be sending the wrong signal to the proleteriat. Seems to me that if you have to pay a congestion charge, it may well make public transport cheaper, but then TFL can hike the fares up some more...so everyone ends up paying more and more and more for the same or worse level of service.

Worst thing is that the transport system falls apart after 11pm, with the exception of a few night buses...
  • Options
    I cycle, and Greenwich is a nightmare, it's a world heritage area and it's treated like a by pass, 2 or 3 quid nowt for most people, but hopefully it'll put people off.

Congestion charge, and make the centre of Greenwich a shared space area, and it'll be so much better
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: orpingtonaddick[/cite]Red Ken's transport policy and fare increases are surely responsible for the continued congestion. Apparently, we have the most expensive public transport system in the world - this would seem to be sending the wrong signal to the proleteriat. Seems to me that if you have to pay a congestion charge, it may well make public transport cheaper, but then TFL can hike the fares up some more...so everyone ends up paying more and more and more for the same or worse level of service.

Worst thing is that the transport system falls apart after 11pm, with the exception of a few night buses...

Fares are still cheap, just get an Oyster card
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2007
    easy to say that but what about people in travel in from Dartford, Gravesend etc. There are plenty of those guys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my train season ticket went up 11% this year.

Its wrong
  • Options
    Well those areas are controlled by the Mayor, so not his fault
  • Options
    Got one thanks
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my train season ticket went up 11% this year.

Its wrong
    But the journey takes 11% longer so you still get value for money!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Well those areas are controlled by the Mayor, so not his fault

ok, hear this. i went to lee station last week to renew my travelcard(with the 8.5% fare increase) it was 12.30pm on a sunday afternoon and the station was shut. so i had to meet my friend on the dlr at elverson road. so i got on a bus to lewisham. this cost me £2 cash. lewisham station was in fact closed although the ticket office open. i bought my monthly travel card, and carried on my journey.

can i get a refund for the £2 cash fair that i unneccessarily had to pay because the office was shut and the "brand new spanking wipe your arse" machines that they've installed in the stations don't do montly travelcards.

£2 for a cash fare is ridiculous on a bus.

only the rich people will be able to use public transport or use a car soon.
  • Options
    and i can't use an oyster card, despite living in zone 3.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Well those areas are controlled by the Mayor, so not his fault

ok, hear this. i went to lee station last week to renew my travelcard(with the 8.5% fare increase) it was 12.30pm on a sunday afternoon and the station was shut. so i had to meet my friend on the dlr at elverson road. so i got on a bus to lewisham. this cost me £2 cash. lewisham station was in fact closed although the ticket office open. i bought my monthly travel card, and carried on my journey.

can i get a refund for the £2 cash fair that i unneccessarily had to pay because the office was shut and the "brand new spanking wipe your arse" machines that they've installed in the stations don't do montly travelcards.

£2 for a cash fare is ridiculous on a bus.

only the rich people will be able to use public transport or use a car soon.

Ask Southeastern why they are rubbish, and see if they'll refund you?

As for cash on the buses, it's getting less and less, the reason why it's half price with Oyster is to get buses cashless, £1 on the plastic ain't too bad.
  • Options
    and you can have a travelcard on Oyster which you can use at overground stations, used to go through the barriers at New Eltham with one all the time.
  • Options
    it is when if i'd have bought my travelcard it would have essentially been free.

i have written to them, will let you know how i get on.

also these big bendy buses, reckon he knows that they're widely known as the "free buses" in london?

i'm yet to see an inspector on one and people get on the back and travel for free. thats the reasons for the fare's going up. i'd be interested to find out how many people get on and how many people beep in.
  • Options
    Fare on the Underground on Oyster are the same as they were 7 years ago, not sure about the buses, cause it went to one zone for the whole of London, and it balanced it out in the same time.

Pay cash and you get hit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]and you can have a travelcard on Oyster which you can use at overground stations, used to go through the barriers at New Eltham with one all the time.

not from lee. it says you can't use oyster, and there is no yellow swipey thing.
  • Options
    inspectors on the bendy buses - you will NEVER see one in rush hour.

Seen loads of times after 10am.
  • Options
    Hmmm, all the stations say no pre pay, but if you've got a travelcard, you've got a travelcard, either on Oyster or paper.
  • Options
    buy Oyster say you HAVE TO swipe your card at the start and end of each journey - if you cannot do that then it is daft having an Oyster card
  • Options
    Doesn't do much for the tourist (who is economically very important for this country) - they have little choice in the matter - CASH (no address, no Oyster Card). A lot of overseas people I meet through business think the system is a rip-off, pure and simple.

Anyway, let's wait for the snow to test the efficiency and usefulness of our public transport system...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]buy Oyster say you HAVE TO swipe your card at the start and end of each journey - if you cannot do that then it is daft having an Oyster card

on the tube and DLR only
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]buy Oyster say you HAVE TO swipe your card at the start and end of each journey - if you cannot do that then it is daft having an Oyster card

That's only when using pre-pay on the Tube/DLR so it knows how much to subtract from your card.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: orpingtonaddick[/cite]Doesn't do much for the tourist (who is economically very important for this country) - they have little choice in the matter - CASH (no address, no Oyster Card). A lot of overseas people I meet through business think the system is a rip-off, pure and simple.

Anyway, let's wait for the snow to test the efficiency and usefulness of our public transport system...

You don't have to give an address anymore to get a Oyster card, you can get fron vending machines at Victoria now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: orpingtonaddick[/cite]Doesn't do much for the tourist (who is economically very important for this country) - they have little choice in the matter - CASH (no address, no Oyster Card). A lot of overseas people I meet through business think the system is a rip-off, pure and simple.

You don't have to give an address anymore to get a Oyster card, you can get fron vending machines at Victoria now

You can also get Oyster IN ADVANCE of your trip to London via the Visit Britain/Visit London websites.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]All for it

I take it you do not own a car then ? :-)