Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life Without Wheels.

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related
It's now about a year since my licence was revoked and I subsequently sold the motor (Mrs.M doesn't drive). After nigh on 50 years of cars and 'bikes I miss it terribly, especially as the bus service was cancelled as part of the Council's spending cuts a while ago and a taxi to anywhere is a minimum of £6.00. You end up relying on friends and family to get out and about but getting the papers or a bottle of milk, or booze, can become a major operation, not to mention getting to The Valley, and it's a major reason why Chateau March is up for sale. Wondered how other people might get on without wheels on a permanent basis, would you really miss them?

Comments

• i would be screwed royally, not just for work but family, booze and shops wouldnt be an issue but everything else would
  • Ive never driven, but live in a small town so its just as easy for me to walk or use a bus. For the amount of long distance travel I do I just jump on a train.
    But, as I begin to show my work in more places I know i'll need to drive in the next 12 months.
  • I too would be screwed.

Work, family, Charlton even to name but 3 all depend on the car.

• I am afraid I would.
    I sold my car in January and now have to borrow  our car, and scrounge my sons when it is available.
    Just cannot afford two cars, but miss the freedom that it gives you.

As I am home now it has become an issue, but do a lot more walking which is not a bad thing!
    Not looking forward to winter except I get my free bus pass, at least I think I do unless they scrap that as well.....
  • If I lost my licence I would be out of a job :-(

But on the plus side I wouldn't need my car to get to work :-)

My 40 something brother-in-law has never learned to drive as his never been in a position to run a car financially. It doesn't seem to bother him as he doesn't miss what he's never had but it winds me up as he could do so much better for himself if he could go for jobs that didn't require it to be within a short cycle ride.

• As B'mouth Addick says.....
    It would be a bit of a bugger getting on public transport with carpets, underlay, gripper, doorbars, tools, etc..........
  • You'd have to pay for two seats on the bus, MOG.
  • Never driven or had lessons and in my current financial state it's not going to be happening any time soon either.
  • My wife and I aren't able to drive.  We live very close to a train station which gets to London quickly, as well as having a bus stop right outside.  And I live pretty close to work, so I cycle in.  But when it involves going to places at night in dodgy areas, I do wish we had a car.
  • after having a car or motorbike for the majority of my adult life, i sold my car about 4 years ago, expecting to miss it hugely and i don't.

i am fortunate to be served by buses that always seem to be going wherever i am. i'm spoilt for tube stations, 5 within a 10 minute walk and paddington br a walkable distance. i also cycle, if i can.

• Sponsored links:

• public transport would make me feel sick if iu had to do it daily, too many people coughing sneezing farting, all that skin going up your nose, noisy rude trouser falling down yoof,

not for me i would be doing a 10 stretch in no time

• public transport would make me feel sick if iu had to do it daily, too many people coughing sneezing farting, all that skin going up your nose, noisy rude trouser falling down yoof,

And thats without Me & my carpets, underlay, gripper....................
  • lol yep banging into me no doubt, gettig in the way of the women and children trying to get off,

its got disaster written all over it

What's gripper been doing since Grange Hill?

What's gripper been doing since Grange Hill?

You really don't want to know..............
  • I haven't driven since 2007. Cars are too expensive and public transport is very good where I live, it's an expensive luxury that I can't afford. Luckily I'm not a snob and can deal with public transport, as Guns 'N' Roses once sang, all you need is just a little patience!
  • I think less young people will own cars in the future as it does seem to be becoming increasingly expensive. Location does have an impact, but 2 examples: my oldest son passed his test and had a car for a couple of years, but went to uni and left the car here to be sold. Now he's 24, back and working but there is no sign of him wanting to buy a car or even to borrow mine. He gets about perfectly well on public transport. The other example is a friend's son who is a 30 year-old dental surgeon who lives and works in Greater London - he has NEVER owned a car - if he needs one he hires one and he only does that once or twice a year.
    "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure" Maggie Thatcher is reputed to have said that - how the world has changed since then!
  • I had to give up my car when I moved into my flat last year.  It was either keep the car running or get a roof over my head.  Given I was sleeping on my parents sofa for 2 years, didnt really have much of a choice.

Anyhow, first time since the age of 17 without my own car.  Took some adjusting, but 14 months later, I dont miss it at all now.

I am fortunate that my parents let me drive their car when I've got my daughter staying and we go out somewhere (as they normally come along too) or I need to drive her home but other that, I dont ask to borrow their car.  I'm more than happy getting bus, train, or using my bicycle.  Just means I need to be a little more organised, thats all.  Not really a major issue.  Oh and the only time I get a mini cab is the £4 trip home from Tesco's with the shopping.
  • We don't tend to use the car much but when we do it's for journeys that would either be a right pain or simply impossible on public transport. I visit friends in Snodland on a weekly basis. To get there by train I'd need to catch 3 trains and would need to come back before I got there in order to get the last train(s) home.
  • Never driven (never even had a lesson) and I don't see the point personally. I appreciate some people might need to drive - if it's genuinely vital for work, if they or a relative have a disability/problem walking, or if they live way out in the sticks - but for a person of normal health who lives in an urban area and works in an office, there really is no reason to own a car except laziness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have to have a car for work.

Essential for ferrying my lad about for football/training to make sure he's on time.

Used to enjoy driving and still do to a certain extent when it's just myself & the radio and a long stretch of virtually trafficless motorway.

Has become a chore though when faced with the poor condition of roads, bad drivers, more cars on the road, people who don't have indicators in the interiors of their cars, people who haven't got a clue to do at r/bouts and countless fecking speed bumps everywhere.

• I sold my car 8 years ago when I started working in the West End. The wife still has her one so its not like being without one completly but I dont really miss my one.

I travel to work by train as I do to Charlton. I can drink 4/5 pints in the Oak ( depending on service) and listen to my iPod on the way home. Also its quicker.

All you need is the internet and a good curry house that will deliver.

• Loved my last car. I can't stress enough how I loved that big gas guzzling 4x4 and for the first time in many years, when I was used to driving around London in old bangers, it was actually mine, paid up HP, no-one elses.  Then as life and bad luck would have it, three months after the last HP payment, I was suitably skint enough to have to sell it. Broke my fucking heart at the time but I can honestly say now that time has healed the wounds. Also £90 to fill the thing up did smart a tad in the end.  How do we get so attached in the first place?  After all it is something that just eats up your money. I suppose as has been mentioned above, it gives you a freedom which sometimes outweighs the cost. I could of got in that car and just kept going and never looked back I suppose.